Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:18 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,121,313 times

Advertisements

In his stump speeches Obama puffs his chest out and boasts of his 100% voting record in opposing pre-born human life. He touts his endorsement of NARAL's Pro-Choice, pro abortion members.

When the Supreme Court upheld a ban on partial birth abortion Obama was outraged and said the court was wrong since it took away a woman's right to choose to end her infant's life after it was born. The precident setting ruling (Carhart vs. Gonzales) was applauded and supported by nearly every member of Congress. Obama was the lone US senator who opposed it!

The ban ended the horrible practice during the last trimester that pulls a baby from the womb, feet first, inserts scissors in the head, sucks out the brains and crushes the skull before removing its murdered body.

Obama continually opposes legislation that would require medical treatment and food for children born alive with disabilities after a failed abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 06:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
The Induced Infant Liability Act was a cynical legal ploy designed to make all AB illegal, which would have been unconstitutional. He saw right through it as many if not most of his colleagues did not.
Here is what Obama said when arguing against Illinois's Born Alive Infants Protection Act during Senate floor debate.

This was legislation clarifying the terms “person,” “human being,” “child,” and “individual” in Illinois statutes included any baby born alive, no matter what gestational age or circumstance of birth:

“… I just want to suggest… that this is probably not going to survive constitutional scrutiny.”

“Number one, whenever we define a pre-viable fetus as a person that is protected by the equal protection clause or the other elements in the Constitution, what we’re really saying is, in fact, that they are persons that are entitled to the kinds of protections that would be provided to a – child, a 9-month-old – child that was delivered to term. That determination then, essentially, if it was accepted by a court, would forbid abortions to take place.”

“I mean, it – it would essentially bar abortions, because the equal protection clause does not allow somebody to kill a child, and if this is a child, then this would be an anti-abortion statute. For that purpose, I think it would probably be found unconstitutional.”
Roe v Wade upholds the constitution's implied right to privacy.

Last edited by delusianne; 06-17-2008 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: found a clearer copy

Old 06-17-2008, 06:40 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,004,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The Induced Infant Liability Act was a cynical legal ploy designed to make all AB illegal, which would have been unconstitutional. He saw right through it as many if not most of his colleagues did not.

Here is what Obama said when arguing against Illinois’ Born Alive Infants Protection Act during Senate floor debate. This was legislation clarifying the terms “person,” “human being,” “child,” and “individual” in Illinois statutes included any baby born alive, no matter what gestational age or circumstance of birth:

“… I just want to suggest… that this is probably not going to survive constitutional scrutiny.”

“Number one, whenever we define a pre-viable fetus as a person that is protected by the equal protection clause or the other elements in the Constitution, what we’re really saying is, in fact, that they are persons that are entitled to the kinds of protections that would be provided to a – child, a 9-month-old – child that was delivered to term. That determination then, essentially, if it was accepted by a court, would forbid abortions to take place.”

“I mean, it – it would essentially bar abortions, because the equal protection clause does not allow somebody to kill a child, and if this is a child, then this would be an anti-abortion statute. For that purpose, I think it would be found unconstitutional.”

Their bolding. Roe v Wade upholds the constitution's implied right to privacy.
Right.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Right.
Go argue with City Hall.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:58 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
I agree with Obama 100% on this one. Legislation cleverly disguised to impede on Roe v Wade shows up all the time.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:58 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,121,313 times
Quote:
Here is what Obama said when arguing against Illinois's Born Alive Infants Protection Act during Senate floor debate.

This was legislation clarifying the terms “person,” “human being,” “child,” and “individual” in Illinois statutes included any baby born alive, no matter what gestational age or circumstance of birth:

“I mean, it – it would essentially bar abortions, because the equal protection clause does not allow somebody to kill a child, and if this is a child, then this would be an anti-abortion statute. For that purpose, I think it would probably be found unconstitutional.”
Roe v Wade upholds the constitution's implied right to privacy.
You are confusing the issue on purpose. I agree that's what Obama said when he voted against the ban in the Illinois legislature.

HOWEVER:

When the Supreme Court upheld a ban on partial birth abortion Obama was outraged and said the court was wrong since it took away a woman's right to choose to end her infant's life after it was born. The precident setting ruling (Carhart vs. Gonzales) was applauded and supported by nearly every member of Congress. Obama was the lone US senator who opposed it!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:00 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,004,293 times
Quote:
Go argue with City Hall.
About what?

Our family was taught personal responsibility so it really does not have an affect on me till they start the partial birth abortions. Or like Obama like to vote in favor of shelving babies.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
You are confusing the issue on purpose. I agree that's what Obama said when he voted against the ban in the Illinois legislature.

HOWEVER:

Im not confusing the issue, virtually that whole thing is a direct quote.

Link to him being "outraged"?

Here's Gonzales v. Carhart at wikipedia - no time to look now. Gonzales v. Carhart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Im going to waste some bandwidth here and without reading the piece speculate that Obama is right to oppose it - if he's correct in saying the court's ruling because it takes away a woman's right to choose, that is indeed unconstitutional. I'll guess the ruling was a weasel around Roe v. Wade - not a hard guess as the Gonzales is Alberto Gonzales. Plus it's brave and confident of him to vote the law rather than with "the crowd." But I dont know, I havent read it, and I aint no lawyer.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 PM

72 posts, read 226,987 times
Im not voting for him now then, ugh, he disgusts me, and he has kids too!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,970,179 times
The more I read about Obama's extreme-left abortion position (he's even further to the left of Planned Parenthood and NARAL), the more I realize that I cannot vote for him in good conscience. I also cannot vote for McCain, because he's a warmonger who will have us stuck in Iraq or even Iran for eternity. I can't vote for Obama, and I can't vote for McSame. I'm either going to have to not vote for President at all...or write in Ron Paul, since I'm on the same wavelength as he in being pro-life and and against the Iraq war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections