Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:54 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,584,323 times

Advertisements

When are folks going to wake up and see that human life is a blessing from God, not some "choice" we just decide whether or not to have. My heart grieves for those woman who've had miscarriages and for those who can't have babies. It just shows that we as a culture are self-centered and only care about the big "I". How many children have been aborted in this country now, 25 million?

If someone like dr. Jack Kevorkian or Barack Obama can run for office and get elected, than something is terribly wrong with our culture!! What has happened to a society when other people choose someone lives or dies in this world!! Who speaks for the unborn child? Who cares about their rights? Who speaks for Terri Schiavo?
It goes back to a fundamental belief of human life and where it comes from. If we believe that life is given by God and that it's precious and worthy, than there should be NO debating this topic!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 01:05 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,877,710 times
I'm pro choice. I think women should exercise the choice to abstain from sex or deal with the natural fruits of sex. If you want to use a condom, people need to accept the risk that it might break before they start screwing. I guess liberals don't believe in personal responsibility though.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:15 PM

327 posts, read 755,559 times
I'm pro life. I'm pro life in favor of the mother that has to carry the unborn child for 9 months.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:23 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,121,777 times
Obama's vote to allow Doctors at Abortion Clinics in Illinois to inject lethal doses of saline into the bodies of living fetuses is particularly disturbing. It is saying that Obama approves the use of lethal chemicals in the state of Illinois to murder living fetuses.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:56 AM

Michael Gerson - Obama's Abortion Extremism - washingtonpost.com

1. . Seven times during his time in the Illinois state Senate, Obama declined to take a position on abortion bills instead he voted "present" or "abstain".

2. Obama received a 100 percent rating from the Illinois Planned Parenthood Council for his support of abortion rights, family planning services and health insurance coverage for female contraceptives.

3. Obama voted against requiring medical care in Illinois for aborted fetuses who survive. He opposed a bill similar to the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act, which prevents the killing of infants mistakenly left alive by abortion.

4.In the US Senate Obama opposed the ban on partial-birth abortion -- a practice a fellow Democrat, the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan, once called "too close to infanticide."

5. Obama once made a strange statement saying that he would not want his daughters to be "punished with a baby" because of a crisis pregnancy.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:02 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
So Obama is right and some people really do want to punish people with a baby?

I don't necessarily favor late term abortions, frankly it is an issue I have no emotional investment in- most abortion are not late term pregnancies in this country anyway. But I can see why Obama would vote present on the Illinois bill, because he was afraid it would set a chilling precedent against abortion providers. Many of these bills are not just about stopping babies from dying on shelves, they are about stigmatizing abortion with inflammatory language or trying to introduce ambiguity to a law to favor a particular ideological position.

I can respect a person who sincerely objects to abortion on ethical or moral grounds. I cannot respect somebody who confesses a respect for "life", and yet votes for a political party that believes that war, and the consequent killing of thousands of innocent people, is a legitimate political tool. It doesn't follow, because the so-called "pro-life" are sentimentalists who believe that a particular unborn fetus is more worthy of their concern than a living child or adult. The "Pro-life" platform is really a stealth attack on modernism, feminism, and secularism, abortion is just one symbol of how suppossedly modern society gets it wrong.
Thank you ! Well put!

Old 04-20-2008, 10:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
The poor Republicans who think abortion is an issue......haven't noticed that Republicans run on being anti-choice but they haven't DONE anything about it.

The majority of Americans believe in the right to choose, they don't believe the government should interfere in a woman's private life....we will always have abortions.....and this year being anti-abortion will hurt, not help, a campaign.

Maybe the Republicans should try REAL issues....????

Old 04-20-2008, 10:52 AM

I am a pro choice Democrat but Obama's support of partial birth abortion goes too far. I agree with the late Senator Moynihan, who called it "too close to infanticide." When there is a fetus that lives after an abortion what measures will be allowed by law? Does the law allow infantcide? Once it is birthed is it not murder since it is a living child?

I think this will be a very hot topic come the general election. Obama's record is very clear although he tries to hide it by voting "present". There will be millions spent to reveal Obama's position to the electorate!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:38 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
It's simply not true that the GOP hasn't done anything to help stop abortions. Look at the parental notification laws, the requirements for counseling and waiting periods, and the numbers of abortion clinics that have closed, as a result. While it would be very difficult to overturn Roe v. Wade, the things that CAN be done have been, emphasizing that this is a very serious decision and one that needs to be undertaken with counseling and careful consideration.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:10 AM

Here is a must read about Obama's radical position on live birth infantcide (murder of children born after attempted abortion):
Obama's Extremism on Abortion even greater than NARAL | Extreme Wisdom

"Jill Stanek, a registered delivery-ward nurse who was the prime mover behind the legislation after she witnessed aborted babies’ being born alive and left to die, testified twice before Obama in support of the Induced Infant Liability Act bills. She also testified before the U.S. Congress in support of the Born Alive Infant Protection Act.

Stanek told me her testimony “did not faze” Obama.

In the second hearing, Stanek said, “I brought pictures in and presented them to the committee of very premature babies from my neonatal resuscitation book from the American Pediatric Association, trying to show them unwanted babies were being cast aside. Babies the same age were being treated if they were wanted!”

“And those pictures didn’t faze him [Obama] at all,” she said."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections