Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:17 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,883,108 times

Advertisements

Obama believe in severely restricting our rights,I find it funny that is considered something new from a politician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 10:53 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,580,229 times
Obama comes across at times as a sincere person dedicated to 'changing' our country. I am afraid that 'change, per se, is not what our country needs in order to maintain what our forefathers had in mind when they fought and created this country. We do not require 'handouts' in order to maintain our existence in this capitalistic society. Each of us has an obligation to elect officials, be they local, state or federal to carry out the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence. I have read these documents many times, and have yet to find where the people should expect to receive handouts from the government.

Mostly our forefathers where concerned about our freedoms and security as a country.
I have little faith is politicians promising all of us a Utopian world. Encouragement of companies to retain their factories, plants, etc. here in our country, thereby providing jobs would be more of an answer IMHO. At the present time I only hear some politicians promising to 'give'.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:57 PM

83 posts, read 382,983 times
I don't hear Obama talking about handouts all of the time and this country needs change! You see it everywhere, go get gas, go buy some food, go to Miami, I could go on and on.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,649,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Obama comes across at times as a sincere person dedicated to 'changing' our country. I am afraid that 'change, per se, is not what our country needs in order to maintain what our forefathers had in mind when they fought and created this country. We do not require 'handouts' in order to maintain our existence in this capitalistic society. Each of us has an obligation to elect officials, be they local, state or federal to carry out the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence. I have read these documents many times, and have yet to find where the people should expect to receive handouts from the government.

Mostly our forefathers where concerned about our freedoms and security as a country.
I have little faith is politicians promising all of us a Utopian world. Encouragement of companies to retain their factories, plants, etc. here in our country, thereby providing jobs would be more of an answer IMHO. At the present time I only hear some politicians promising to 'give'.
I agree. Obama can keep his "change" to himself.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:09 PM

83 posts, read 382,983 times
In the Gadhafi regime? Give me a break! Let me give you a history lesson, Gadhafi is still killing people and is a brutal leader. You think we/Bush woke up one day and said ok let's be friends again because they are playing nice? No,how about the fact that Libya produces oil, and 2 US companies are already over there in line to pump. We also are salivating at the idea of making money off the US.

So no it's not about waving carrots until they change, they don;t change honey, we just figure out they can benefit us in some way....it comes back to the money/oil.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:10 PM

872 posts, read 3,586,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I agree. Obama can keep his "change" to himself.

Because the status quo of baby boomer rule is soooo wonderful...

Old 01-27-2008, 12:00 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,855,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Y'all really think that it's cool for the president of the U.S. to meet with the likes of Fidel Castro and the Iran nutjob? This is foreign policy 101, folks -- a president meeting with dictators puts them on the level of statesmen. It legitimizes their regimes. They use those photo ops with Western leaders to claim support. You DON'T do it.

You might have diplomats meet with them and play the middlemen; if they agree to improve their records on human rights and make substantive, positive changes in their countries, you continue to wave carrots in front of their noses so they continue to change. THIS is how change was brought about in the Gadhafi regime.

What, Obama thinks he's going to fly to Iran, give one of his "yes, we can" speeches, and that country's leader is going to fall in love with the U.S.? This naivete and lack of substance is exactly why I couldn't vote for him.
Yeah bombing them back to the stone age is a much better policy when dealing with these so called rogue nations.

Now dammit where's that smiley representing sarcasm..ah here it this. Now I see how Dubya managed to win another term.

Ignoring them and pretending they don't exist is not going to make these regimes magically go away. China is one our largest trading partners, despite their human rights record, and don't make me mention Saudi Arabia and Pakistan who are "allies"..oh wait I just did. There's nothing wrong with talking with these nations and trying to influence them and benefit from it in some way.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:08 AM

403 posts, read 749,174 times
We don't need to talk to these nutjobs because we are winning the war on terror, we are almost done rebuilding iraq(we solved the ethnic conflict in iraq a long time ago---the evil media doesn't tell us that) and of course our economy is great and booming(10 million just bought new houses) and our national debt has been cut by half.
We are getting stronger and the nutjobs are getting weaker. Why would we need to talk to our enemies? That is so stupid....Obama is such a so crazy person. We need smart people like Hillary Clinton, who took us into the iraq war and will go and invade Iran------so we save the Iranian people too.

It all makes sense now.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:16 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,921,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
Because the status quo of baby boomer rule is soooo wonderful...
it will be nice when the baby boomers start passing on... there are just so many of them right now... that many young poor americans who are just starting out lose hope and don't turn up to vote...and have learned to just adapt and bend with the desires of the majority... I think this election will start the change... in that younger folks will get more involved because lets face it.. you can't avoid the campaign this time around... if you're alive and breathing.. you know about it and have somewhat of an opinion.. and that's a start.. I like the idea of making voting manditory... many other free nations have such practices.. and it ensures that citizens fullfill their civic duty... JUST like jury duty... AND it is an accurate representation of what the nation wants... because EVERYONE"S voice is heard.. whether they want to voice it or not... this means someone can't profit or get a big break by disenfranchising others or profiting from their apathy...
some may say voters are stupid.. well who is anyone to say that someone is too stupid to be allowed to vote? if you have stupid people.. then perhaps that issues should have been properly addressed years ago...and if stupid people vote in stupid policies... then you get a stupid country... they should reflect.. afterall.. aren't our representatives suppose to be a reflection of the people? a representative of the people? not just groups who can organize voter turn out... because that in itself is a form of special interest... if such practices are adopted.. then it becomes a matter of swaying people to believe what you believe.. rather than organize to outnumber another organized group, knowing that you don't have to take on EVERYONE...

Old 01-27-2008, 03:36 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,114,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica1000 View Post
We don't need to talk to these nutjobs because we are winning the war on terror, we are almost done rebuilding iraq(we solved the ethnic conflict in iraq a long time ago---the evil media doesn't tell us that) and of course our economy is great and booming(10 million just bought new houses) and our national debt has been cut by half.
We are getting stronger and the nutjobs are getting weaker. Why would we need to talk to our enemies? That is so stupid....Obama is such a so crazy person. We need smart people like Hillary Clinton, who took us into the iraq war and will go and invade Iran------so we save the Iranian people too.

It all makes sense now.
Is this sarcasm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections