Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:33 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,571,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
As long as the Democrats refuse to take on the teachers union, Illinois is bound to flounder.
Governor Quinn has already done that.

Illinois lawmakers approve major pension overhaul - chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 10:57 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,702,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
A bunch of them already are, you guys just keep replacing them.
No kidding. Who would make their license plates if not for crooked, unethical democrats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Didn't Illinois give the fleeing pondscum Wisconsin Democrat State Senate refugees a place to hide so they didn't have to vote on a budget in their state? You have to stop sheltering whimpering dopes like that, too. It gives Illinois a bad name.
That was humorous. Disgusting, but humorous.

One sure must admit, though, that ol' HairBoy was good for a tremendous amount of laughs. I can't think of his name. Rob? DeBlavio? DeBloviateio? Something like that.

OK, I couldn't stand it so I looked him up: Rod Blagojevich.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,896,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
No kidding. Who would make their license plates if not for crooked, unethical democrats?
Crooked, unethical Republicans. Before Blagojevich there was former Governor George Ryan, a Republican who was convicted of corruption in 2006 and made our license plates for seven years.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Crooked, unethical Republicans. Before Blagojevich there was former Governor George Ryan, a Republican who was convicted of corruption in 2006 and made our license plates for seven years.
Though both sides have had their share of crooked politicians, you certainly have to admit, Il has had many more Dem than Republicans that have been less the honest, upstanding citizens.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:24 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,374,802 times
A very wise Frenchman named Frederic Bastiat said it all about 175 years ago:

"The State (meaning government at all levels) is the Great Fiction by which everyone tries to have his way, at the expense of everybody else."

Just as the Crash of 1929 was aggravated, if not caused outright by the overexpansion of the previous two years, the meltdown of 2008 can be traced to a similar overextension -- far more subtle, and over a far longer period of time.

Unfortunately, both major parties are culpable, and whiie many elements of the Libertarian and Tea Parties understand what's going on, both also have a gritty underside focused on simple answers and smple scapegoats.

With the stock market currently engaged in a faux recovery applauded by people who seldom think more than a year or two ahead, I think it's only a matter of time before the shoe drops again.

While the current "safety net" can likely protect most of us from the most painful consequences, I suspect that the cycle wil both continue and become more unpredictable until something either hits rock-bottom, or in the dreaded possibility of a return to the inflaton of 1966-81, soars completely out of control.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:28 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,399,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A very wise Frenchman named Frederic Bastiat said it all about 175 years ago:

"The State (meaning government at all levels) is the Great Fiction by which everyone tries to have his way, at the expense of everybody else."

Just as the Crash of 1929 was aggravated, if not caused outright by the overexpansion of the previous two years, the meltdown of 2008 can be traced to a similar overextension -- far more subtle, and over a far longer period of time.

Unfortunately, both major parties are culpable, and whiie many elements of the Libertarian and Tea Parties understand what's going on, both also have a gritty underside focused on simple answers and smple scapegoats.

With the stock market currently engaged in a faux recovery applauded by people who seldom think more than a year or two ahead, I think it's only a matter of time before the shoe drops again.

While the current "safety net" can likely protect most of us from the most painful consequences, I suspect that the cycle wil both continue and become more unpredictable until something either hits rock-bottom, or in the dreaded possibility of a return to the inflaton of 1966-81, soars completely out of control.
Well Bastiat will have representation in the 1145h Congress in the person of Mia Love:

Mia Love: Could She Be The Smartest Congressional Tea Party Candidate? - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia love
hahaha. No one knows him; he's dead. I love Bastiat. Bastiat is definitely my favorite.
@2:25

Old 01-07-2014, 06:52 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,954,017 times
OK wise guy, for those of us voting in the Republican primary, and some never will because Democrat is on their birth certificate, who should we vote for? Rauner, who spends millions of his fortune on campaign ads but too cheap to spend over $18 for a watch, or one of those who has actually held elected office? Specifically, which one?

Old 01-08-2014, 02:00 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,812,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
OK wise guy, for those of us voting in the Republican primary, and some never will because Democrat is on their birth certificate, who should we vote for? Rauner, who spends millions of his fortune on campaign ads but too cheap to spend over $18 for a watch, or one of those who has actually held elected office? Specifically, which one?
What about Kirk Dillard?

Old 01-08-2014, 04:01 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,954,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
What about Kirk Dillard?
I was thinking Rutherford but will look.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:37 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,812,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I was thinking Rutherford but will look.
Based on my limited knowledge about this, Dillard might be a non-extreme, decent candidate.

For the record, Dillard extremely narrowly lost the Illinois GOP gubernatorial primary in 2010 by around 200 votes or so. I think that had the GOP nominated Dillard for Illinois governor in 2010 instead of Bill Brady, then Illinois would have currently had a GOP Governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections