Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:20 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,405,858 times

Advertisements

I have a theory that some people may be confusing redistribution with "restitution".

I heard Romney repeat in FLA yesterday " AND... my opponent believes in REDISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH!" (cue head tilt and pious eye roll )

The crowd went "Booooooo!!!!" right on cue too.

But looking at their faces, I saw some of them get this look like, "WTF? What's redistribution??? "

I wonder how many realize that, in a democratic republic, redistribution of wealth, via the tax code, and all the services provided by government, is ESSENTIAL to the well-being of the commonwealth? That, we couldn't function without it? I mean, think about it- what wold a country with NO redistribution look like? A Randian plutocracy, right?

So here's my theory- many in the GOP understand perfectly well what "redistribution" means... and they HATE it! That's why they resent the mythical "47%" they accuse of freeloading. I include Romney in this group because, dumb as he is, this IS about money, after all, one of the few things he's conversant in.

Conversely, I think MANY of Romney's supporters HEAR "redistribution" and, since it's coming out of the mouth of a black president, THINK they hear "restitution", as in restitution for slavery.

Redistribution- Essential, non-controversial

Restitution- Radical, VERY controversial!

What do you think, am I on to something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 02:26 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,086,625 times
Its really scary if you thought that whole thing through before you actually typed it.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:31 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,499,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

No. BTW, it's called REPARATIONS!

Old 09-20-2012, 02:43 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,189,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
No. BTW, it's called REPARATIONS!
Reparations? Why do white people (the largest segment receiving the benefits of federal largess) need, want, or desire reparations?

Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,440,125 times

Old 09-20-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:

What the Republicans edited out...
I think the trick is figuring out how do we structure government systems that pool resources and hence facilitate some redistribution because I actually believe in redistribution, at least at a certain level to make sure that everybody’s got a shot. How do we pool resources at the same time as we decentralize delivery systems in ways that both foster competition, can work in the marketplace, and can foster innovation at the local level and can be tailored to particular communities.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
lots of pictures
This is so typical of the current state of the Republican Party and part of the reason that the Republicans redacted the full complexity of Obama's remarks, in inability to discuss complex ideas without resorting to pre-prepared talking points of 4th grade exposition.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,528,717 times
Quote:
I have a theory that some people may be confusing redistribution with "restitution".

I heard Romney repeat in FLA yesterday " AND... my opponent believes in REDISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH!" (cue head tilt and pious eye roll )

The crowd went "Booooooo!!!!" right on cue too.

But looking at their faces, I saw some of them get this look like, "WTF? What's redistribution??? "

I wonder how many realize that, in a democratic republic, redistribution of wealth, via the tax code, and all the services provided by government, is ESSENTIAL to the well-being of the commonwealth? That, we couldn't function without it? I mean, think about it- what wold a country with NO redistribution look like? A Randian plutocracy, right?

So here's my theory- many in the GOP understand perfectly well what "redistribution" means... and they HATE it! That's why they resent the mythical "47%" they accuse of freeloading. I include Romney in this group because, dumb as he is, this IS about money, after all, one of the few things he's conversant in.

Conversely, I think MANY of Romney's supporters HEAR "redistribution" and, since it's coming out of the mouth of a black president, THINK they hear "restitution", as in restitution for slavery.

Restitution- Radical, VERY controversial!

Romney, and the extremists in the GOP, have lied about the "income redistribution" allegation regarding the 14-year old comments. It's a trumped-up story. One more lie in a campaign so void of ideas from Willard that the only thing he can do is to lie to people and hope there are enough ignorant people outside of the 47% group he's attacked that aren't bright enough to understand he's a liar and they'll vote for him. If he continues down this path Obama will chew him up and spit him out in the debates and the contest will be over before the election is held. With the President being re-elected.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,440,125 times
What't the point. Obama supporters want redistribution because they are unable to provide for themselves and they poor. They have shown they are unable to understand a republican view and that is the very reason they are poor.

Last edited by eRayP; 09-20-2012 at 03:38 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 04:13 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,393,050 times
I'm sorry, 14 years ago was not the last time President Obama talked about redistribution. Just ask as Joe the Plumber. I was watching that interview, and those words sent a shock through my system. Not a tingle, a shock. It's a term that is associated with communism, and is particularly offensive to many people who fear that system of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections