Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:31 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,414,872 times

Advertisements

If I were Romney, I would forget about getting anyone from the far Right. He needs to assume that the voters from the far Right are going to vote Republican no matter who he picks. This includes the states in the South and states like Oklahoma, Utah, Idaho, the Dakotas, Nebraska. These regions voted for the reelection of Bush and for McCain, so they are a lock.

To have a chance to cut into Obama's dominance, he needs someone Moderate, as an indication that the Republicans are moving AWAY from the tea party and from the Bush Republicans and Neocons. He should stay away from white males or Ann Coulter types.

I think Condi Rice is an exceptional choice. If Romney makes the mistake of getting someone from the far Right, especially another white male, the election is OVER. Of course, if he puts Condi on the ticket, the bigoted and regressive GOP voters won't support it wholeheartedly because she's black.

Poor, pathetic GOP. Can't win for losin'.
BLAZE CAN T WIN FOR LOSIN - YouTube

Last edited by LexusNexus; 05-03-2012 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,596,342 times
McCain had,from my unofficial count,172 electoral votes. He lost 9 states that Bush had won 4 years earlier. He also lost 1 electoral vote in Nebraska,as Nebraska grants electorals by congressional district. That's 98 Romney needs to get back.
Another thing to keep in mind. Texas has gained 6 electoral votes. New York has lost 2. Illinois has lost 1. So did Massachussetts.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Someone from the South.

Have you noticed how Romney did dismally in the Southern Primaries?

Obama won 3 States in the South in 08 and was close in a forth (Georgia) it should be scary for republicans going into this election.

I am not saying that Mississippi, Alabama, Texas are going Blue, but I sure don't see them coming all out for Romney. ARK may return a lighter shade of red too.

To cross the finish line Romney needs both Ohio and Florida, but before that he needs to win back Virginia and North Carolina. That is why I think he is gonna pick a VP from a Southern State. By bet is on Bob Mc Donnell from Virginia

Romney is weak among women but I think he will be too scared to pick a woman as his VP because memories of Palin are still too fresh. Its too soon for the republicans. A Southern Female Minority (Such as Nikki Haley) would send waves but again the risks are too high.

Presidential Candidates need to sure up their negatives in their VP, and although Nikki would raise Romney's scores in certain constituencies, the two together don't make a full President like Obama and Biden did.

Months before Obama announced it, I told friends that he was gonna pick Biden. Everyone said he was boring, and I said exactly. Obama was the celebrity, he was young, no foreign/ millitary experience. Obama needed someone with experience, he needed someone low key and he needed someone White. Biden was the obvious choice.

Romney has a variety of choices, but a Southerner, preferably from Virginia seems like the best bet to me. He can win FL and OH without picking people from there People having been touting Rubio, I think that is the fast way to lose the election.
ok, let's look at what you are thinking and much of it is a little off the wall: 1-Ar (which btw is not ARK, but just AR) will not even come close to going blue. There is a good chance the only surviving Democrat house rep will be replaced by a Republican

Nikki will not be the choice, she isn't even terribly popular right now.

Al, Tx and Mississippi will remain red for years to come. What makes you say Romney isn't popular in those states, do you know something others do not?

Obama did better in the south in 2008 because he was a novelty, the novelty is wearing off.

The VP doesn't really make or break a candidate in anyway. In fact few people ever vote Pres based on the VP choice.

Now, will he choose someone from the south? It is very possible he will, McDonnell is a possibility just like about a dozen others.

You say he got creamed in the south? Losing Ga to thier favorite son was expected, how did he do in Florida for starters?

Nita

Old 05-03-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Can you say Paul Ryan I hate these 2 fools so much
Isn't hate an awfully strong word? Why do you feel that way? I don't think I have ever really said I hated a politician, just because I don't agree wtih their views and ideas isn't reason to hate someone.

Nita

Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
What do you guys think of Bobby Jindal for Romney's VP? Possible?
someday maybe, just certainly not right now and apparently his wife isn't gung hoe about the life of a politician. Now,that could be rumor, but even so, he is still very young. Let's see how he holds up in another 4 or 8 years.

Nita

Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The way the electoral maps are looking, Romney could literally have a 6 point lead in the polls and it doesn't matter. At this point, Obama has OH and PA. He's up slightly in Florida.

Romney is likely going to have to spend some money in AZ. Thanks to the immigration laws, AZ is now in play. Republicans didn't want to believe me (and a few others on here) but it is true.

Romney lacks the support of unmarried women and Hispanics, which are two of the fastest growing groups in the country.

Demographics don't really favor Romney. The election really is Obama's to lose.
any poll that show Obama up, in a state, but barely means he is probably in big trouble. AZ will stay Red, Fl is 50/50 but many experts see it going to Romney and OH could very well go his way. :PA will probably end up in the Democrat side.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 PM

37,971 posts, read 17,913,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Al, Tx and Mississippi will remain red for years to come. What makes you say Romney isn't popular in those states, do you know something others do not?
Republicans
137 pledged delegates, 3 unpledged
Candidate........ Vote ........%
John McCain..... 709,477 51.2%
Mike Huckabee...523,554 37.8
Ron Paul............ 69,954 5.1
Mitt Romney....... 27,624 2.0
100% reporting

Texas Primary and Caucus Results - Election Guide 2008 - Results - The New York Times

Besides Romney changing his policy position from week to week what else has changed? Do you think Texas will be big on party over principle? The republican party inner circle isn't happy with either Paul or Romney imo.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Republicans
137 pledged delegates, 3 unpledged
Candidate........ Vote ........%
John McCain..... 709,477 51.2%
Mike Huckabee...523,554 37.8
Ron Paul............ 69,954 5.1
Mitt Romney....... 27,624 2.0
100% reporting

Texas Primary and Caucus Results - Election Guide 2008 - Results - The New York Times

Besides Romney changing his policy position from week to week what else has changed? Do you think Texas will be big on party over principle? The republican party inner circle isn't happy with either Paul or Romney imo.
No, Texas isn't thrilled with but Romney will win the primary in a landslide and yes,will win the general easily. The party may not be happy, but the people do the voting and they are not going to help re-elect Obama.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,043,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, Texas isn't thrilled with but Romney will win the primary in a landslide and yes,will win the general easily. The party may not be happy, but the people do the voting and they are not going to help re-elect Obama.
I agree. I know a lot of hardcore conservative Republicans and even a few moderate independents like myself and everyone I have spoke to here in Texas that ever so slightly leans to the right has said that they will definitely vote for the Republican nominee in the general...period. I'm not saying Obama doesn't have supporters here in Texas. He does, just not enough to win this state. I would assume it's the same in most if not all other red states as well. As one very conservative friend of mine recently said "I don't like Romney but he's got my vote. My new motto is OMG!...Obama Must Go"...lol.

Back to the topic, I think Romney will probably pick McDonnell for his running mate, or possibly Paul Ryan. I don't really know enough about Portman to make a comment on him but it sounds like he may end up on the short list. Whoever Romney picks, I just hope it's someone that at least won't hurt his chances in any way.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I agree. I know a lot of hardcore conservative Republicans and even a few moderate independents like myself and everyone I have spoke to here in Texas that ever so slightly leans to the right has said that they will definitely vote for the Republican nominee in the general...period. I'm not saying Obama doesn't have supporters here in Texas. He does, just not enough to win this state. I would assume it's the same in most if not all other red states as well. As one very conservative friend of mine recently said "I don't like Romney but he's got my vote. My new motto is OMG!...Obama Must Go"...lol.

Back to the topic, I think Romney will probably pick McDonnell for his running mate, or possibly Paul Ryan. I don't really know enough about Portman to make a comment on him but it sounds like he may end up on the short list. Whoever Romney picks, I just hope it's someone that at least won't hurt his chances in any way.
We keep hearing these names and I wouldn't be surprised if he takes McConnell either, but how many times does the candidate pick the running mate we expect him to take? almost never!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections