Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:26 PM

159 posts, read 575,353 times

Advertisements

Even though a lot of people like Marco Rubio as a VP candidate, he made it very clear that he would not accept a running mate offer, even if Mitt Romney begged him. But he made an interesting verbal slip after he made the statement.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1437670.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
I think Romney will make a good choice and if he's smart, it will mirror what Obama did 4 years ago. Someone with a lot of experience, particularly in foreign affairs, who is easily controlled and will take a backdrop during the campaign.

Hopefully he finds someone more quiet than Biden.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,700 times
I think it was an honest, non-freudian slip. But who knows
If he does want to VP, he needs to stop saying he will refuse the offer. It will make him much less likely to be picked as it will make him seem hypocritical. I know they all say they will refuse, but you shouldn't be saying it this late in the game if you do want to be considered.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I think Romney will make a good choice and if he's smart, it will mirror what Obama did 4 years ago. Someone with a lot of experience, particularly in foreign affairs, who is easily controlled and will take a backdrop during the campaign.

Hopefully he finds someone more quiet than Biden.
Rob Portman's my preferance right now. Him or Condoleeza, but I think she genuinely doesn't want it. Portman will be another bland choice, but I think a bland ticket with a laser-like focus on fiscal issues and the economy is our best chance for a winning ticket. People will tell you how bad the GOP needs Hispanics/women/etc/etc, but the easiest group for them to win back are the suburban moderates that can deliver them OH, FL, VA, NC, etc. Those voters are often former Republicans who left the party over, what effectively amounts to, inflammatory rhetoric from people like Sarah Palin, etc. I'm not saying Romney should pick a moderate, just someone who is rhetorically moderate. And the left knows this is a winning strategy, which is why they keep pushing the narrative that Romney doesn't have the support of the base - they want to force him to pick a fiery right-wing running mate. He needs to just ignore them and pick a guy like himself. The best guy for that is Rob Portman

Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
Rubio would be stupid to take it. The Republican Party doesn't have a good history of young up and coming VP's doing well out of the job.

Portman definitely seems like a solid candidate. I don't know enough people in the party to know who else might be good. Romney doesn't need to appeal to his base. They largely listen to right wine nutjob radio and there'll be a load of money to be spent by SPACs to get them up and going.

Rice reeks of Bush. It would be a mistake. She might be an option further down the road, but she's not married and I don't think she has any experience fund raising.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwart View Post
Even though a lot of people like Marco Rubio as a VP candidate, he made it very clear that he would not accept a running mate offer, even if Mitt Romney begged him. But he made an interesting verbal slip after he made the statement.

[url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/19/marco-rubio-vp-romney_n_1437670.html]Marco Rubio Says He'd Say No To VP, Even If Romney Said He Needed Him[/url]
I don't think it was a Freudian slip, just a slip. Rubio probably realized running with Romney could be political suicide for him, but he still might feel a sense of loyalty to his party. Rubio knows he'd only be chosen to attract the Latino vote, but Romney cannot erase his past that easily.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Rob Portman's my preferance right now.
Yeah Portman's where the consensus money is.

Rubio's not going to do it because he's likely going to be implicated in the Jim Greer corruption trial in July. It wouldn't look good to have your VP pick have to be absent from the party convention because he's been subpoenaed.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:02 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
I am personally not so gaga over Rubio like so many are. He bothers me for some reason, can't really put my finger on it though. Polling shows that he won't be all that helpful in delivering Florida either, which would be a big reason in picking him. As far as the hispanic vote overall, Rubio is Cuban, Cuban's are largely Republicans and I am not sure he would influence Mexican Americans.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:01 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
He may not be able to find someone who would want to end his/her career by running second fiddle to Romney. So, he will likely choose someone in the fringe area who wouldn't know any better.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:46 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
I voted Mr Rubio as US Senator for Florida for the express purpose of making opposition to the executive branch, consistent with the Constitution, he has done a reasonable job of it, and I expect him to continue playing that role over the next four years.

He has served as US Senator for Florida less than two years and he is too young to be considered vice president. Plus, as dixiegirl7 and others have said, there is no guarantee that in the presidential electoral vote he would bring either Florida or the Hispanic vote in general.

Ms Rice is probably the most qualified on merits, but, as others have pointed out, unfortunately she is probably too tarnished by the negative legacy of the previous administration, and, again as others have said, she probably doesn't want it. A shame really because she would make it very interesting.

Still an open question, then, and there is no obvious answer.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections