Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:05 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,093,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I voted Mr Rubio as US Senator for Florida for the express purpose of making opposition to the executive branch, consistent with the Constitution, he has done a reasonable job of it, and I expect him to continue playing that role over the next four years.

He has served as US Senator for Florida less than two years and he is too young to be considered vice president. Plus, as dixiegirl7 and others have said, there is no guarantee that in the presidential electoral vote he would bring either Florida or the Hispanic vote in general.

Ms Rice is probably the most qualified on merits, but, as others have pointed out, unfortunately she is probably too tarnished by the negative legacy of the previous administration, and, again as others have said, she probably doesn't want it. A shame really because she would make it very interesting.

Still an open question, then, and there is no obvious answer.

Good Luck!
It is unfortunate. I know lots of Dems who respect Condoleezza and see her for the intelligent stateswoman she is, even if they disagree with the Bush doctrine as a whole. I think that would change pretty quickly if she were the VP nominee but I'm sure independents will be more open minded about it. I could be completely off with this, but from what I can gather I don't think people link her to Bush's foreign policy the way they would Donald Rumsfeld. I think they see her as a positive exception to the Bush administration. Again, just people I've talked to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,343,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwart View Post
Even though a lot of people like Marco Rubio as a VP candidate, he made it very clear that he would not accept a running mate offer, even if Mitt Romney begged him. But he made an interesting verbal slip after he made the statement.

Marco Rubio Says He'd Say No To VP, Even If Romney Said He Needed Him
No vice presidential candidate from a losing ticket has ever gone on to be President of the United States.

Marco Rubio knows this and that's why he's not going to accept the VP offer.

If Marco Rubio is setting himself up for a 2016 presidential run he gains absolutely nothing by accepting the VP slot from Mitt Romney.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,343,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Rob Portman's my preferance right now. Him or Condoleeza, but I think she genuinely doesn't want it. Portman will be another bland choice, but I think a bland ticket with a laser-like focus on fiscal issues and the economy is our best chance for a winning ticket. People will tell you how bad the GOP needs Hispanics/women/etc/etc, but the easiest group for them to win back are the suburban moderates that can deliver them OH, FL, VA, NC, etc. Those voters are often former Republicans who left the party over, what effectively amounts to, inflammatory rhetoric from people like Sarah Palin, etc. I'm not saying Romney should pick a moderate, just someone who is rhetorically moderate. And the left knows this is a winning strategy, which is why they keep pushing the narrative that Romney doesn't have the support of the base - they want to force him to pick a fiery right-wing running mate. He needs to just ignore them and pick a guy like himself. The best guy for that is Rob Portman
You can't have it both ways. If he picks a moderate than his conservative credentials will be called into question by the party stalwarts. Then if he loses the Republican Party will lament that their candidate wasn't CONSERVATIVE ENOUGH.

That's Mitt Romney's dilemma if he moves to far to the middle he get hit with the "Etch-A-Sketch" tag. If he goes and shores up the base he'll lose the moderates and independents.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,853,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
No vice presidential candidate from a losing ticket has ever gone on to be President of the United States.

Except Franklin Roosevelt in 1920.

But I agree the pick is not going to be someone with presidential ambitions.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,460,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwart View Post
Even though a lot of people like Marco Rubio as a VP candidate, he made it very clear that he would not accept a running mate offer, even if Mitt Romney begged him. But he made an interesting verbal slip after he made the statement.

Marco Rubio Says He'd Say No To VP, Even If Romney Said He Needed Him
according to Huffington Post, I don't care how they heard it, what they heard or anything else: The HP makes National Enquirer believable.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I think Romney will make a good choice and if he's smart, it will mirror what Obama did 4 years ago. Someone with a lot of experience, particularly in foreign affairs, who is easily controlled and will take a backdrop during the campaign.

Hopefully he finds someone more quiet than Biden.
There are so many possiblities, someone like you are suggesting would be a good choice, someone who is hispanic or close to hispanics would be another good choice, or someone that is a good debater plus has some humor and passion is another thought.there are so many things to consider, I don't think any one of us can pick what would be best at this time.

Dixie, I don't know why you don't like Rubio, but that is your right. I feel differently. My concern would be his age and lack of experience, but he is a awesome speaker and probably a good debater, I don't know about that. You are right, he probably would not deliver the hispanic vote, but who can? I think Romney has to work on that himself. It is important for all of us to remember VPs normally do not bring much to the tickent nor help the ticket, they can hurt however.
Nita

Old 04-20-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I don't think it was a Freudian slip, just a slip. Rubio probably realized running with Romney could be political suicide for him, but he still might feel a sense of loyalty to his party. Rubio knows he'd only be chosen to attract the Latino vote, but Romney cannot erase his past that easily.
Policitical suicide, why do you say that?Politics are changing in our country. What has happened in the past can be very different in the future. This election is nothing like elections I can remember.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:44 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,223,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There are so many possiblities, someone like you are suggesting would be a good choice, someone who is hispanic or close to hispanics would be another good choice, or someone that is a good debater plus has some humor and passion is another thought.there are so many things to consider, I don't think any one of us can pick what would be best at this time.

Dixie, I don't know why you don't like Rubio, but that is your right. I feel differently. My concern would be his age and lack of experience, but he is a awesome speaker and probably a good debater, I don't know about that. You are right, he probably would not deliver the hispanic vote, but who can? I think Romney has to work on that himself. It is important for all of us to remember VPs normally do not bring much to the tickent nor help the ticket, they can hurt however.
Nita

I agree, I am not overly concerned with the VP slot, because I don't think most people vote on that. I only mentioned the hispanic vote because those who are pushing for Rubio keep mentioning that as their reason. I don't think it will help much. Most Mexican Americans and Puerto Rican Americans vote Democrat. I really think putting Jeb Bush on the ticket would pull more hispanic votes than Rubio would.

Rubio has said for three days in a row just this week that he will not accept the VP offer if it is made. I say take him at his word and don't offer.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:07 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,967,474 times
Interestingly, Rubio's share value on Intrade has collapsed:
Intrade - Marco Rubio to be Republican VP nominee in 2012

Portman now leads amongst all prospective running mates, though at only 21%.

Romney is cautious, not a McCain-esque gambler -- he's not going to take Rubio. Not enough upside to warrant risking the downside.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:09 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,223,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Interestingly, Rubio's share value on Intrade has collapsed:
Intrade - Marco Rubio to be Republican VP nominee in 2012

Portman now leads amongst all prospective running mates, though at only 21%.

Romney is cautious, not a McCain-esque gambler -- he's not going to take Rubio. Not enough upside to warrant risking the downside.

This...yes. That is what I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections