Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,237,180 times

Advertisements

I'm confident that history will look very favorably on Paul. Hey, he may even get a monument or his face put on Mt. Rushmore.....with private donors, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,613,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Gotta call BS on the whole premise. Christians are not affording the same forgive and forget attitude to other candidates, most especially Mitt Romney. Newt sins the same way twice and gets forgiven because he says he's a changed man? As long as you apply that equally across the board, no problem. Romney says that when he was confronted with a bill that would have created embryos for the sole purpose of destroying them for research, that this changed his entire outlook on abortion. If Newtie gets a free pass on actually committing adultery twice, then Mitt changed political views (on abortion especially) must fall under the same forgive and forget. If Newt can generate the all-time record for fines for ethics violations and voted on just about every side of every issue that ever was, then I think it's only fair to accept Mitt Romney's change in positions as 100% completely genuine.

What I think is really happening is that the not Romney obsessors are so desperate to get anybody who isn't Mitt Romney, they're willing to forgive far worse things of another person. It's known as self-delusion and blinding justification. But in the end, they're creating a hypocritical double-standard.

If you want a spotless resume, then you basically have Ron Paul. There is no other candidate with a virtually spotless record.

If you don't care about how clean a candidate is, that's fine too. Vote on the issues and not on past mistakes. If past mistakes matter even a little bit, then let me refer you back to the obvious choice of voting for Ron Paul.

And if you're hung up on the newsletters blunder where he let somebody else publish racist garbage in his name -- can you really still hold that against him while completely forgiving Newt Gingrich for all the things Newt Gingrich has done?? That's a clear cut case of straining at a gnat and then swallowing a camel.
He had Pelosi out to get him, she said as much. She and her cronies dug up every piece of paper with his signature on it, and nailed him with one letter that his lawyers drew up and he signed. One charge stuck, out of 84. They made him pay 300 grand for the investigation.
Pelosi is a snake!

Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,783,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Newt is an opportunist.

And if you want to believe his bull crap about having changed and finding god or redemption or whatever he is claiming, then I'd be happy to sell you a bridge I happen to have for sale.

I, for one, don't believe it for one minute. But, hey! go for it. Make him the GOP nominee based on his claims of being a changed man. It's not going to matter one bit come November because President Obama is coasting to a second term.

And what about Callista? She was sleeping with another woman's husband for years and you really want her representing this country as First Lady? The thought makes me want to hurl. (We really do need a barf smilie.)

OBAMA 2012 !!!
As a person who voted for Obama in 2008 and is having massive buyer's remorse ever since, it's just a little frustrating that the GOP is so determined to nominate a man with the moral fiber and integrity of a serial rapist.

But as a politically Agnostic Independent, I do have to admit that it's funny as hell! They're actually serious! The Evangelicals down South are actually getting behind a scumbag of the highest order! I've come to expect extreme stupidity when it comes to politics in general, but seriously ... WOW!! If the nomination lands in Newt's lap, I'm gonna stock up on popcorn, sit back and watch the train wreck, laughing my butt off all the way!

This is so absolutely typical of the two political parties, gunning for a candidate that is beyond awful. The Dems at their absolute worst have never nominated anyone this screwed up. Just amazing!

Old 01-19-2012, 04:53 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
What, open marriage guy takes the lead? You know, not much of a stretch from open marriage to open borders.
If SC voters elevate Newt it's just another example of the lack of moral standards by some of those voters who claim to be Christian. They lack the courage of their outspoken convictions. Newt lacks character and integrity, and the demeanor to be a national leader.

No matter which of the four remaining candidates gains the GOP nomination ... he will not have what it takes to defeat President Obama. Obama will chew them up and spit them out. Close national election it will be, probably a Obama victory of 6 or 8 million votes.

The GOP needs to find another late-entry to take-on Obama. Jeb Bush would be strong.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:59 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,798,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
If SC voters elevate Newt it's just another example of the lack of moral standards by some of those voters who claim to be Christian. They lack the courage of their outspoken convictions. Newt lacks character and integrity, and the demeanor to be a national leader.

No matter which of the four remaining candidates gains the GOP nomination ... he will not have what it takes to defeat President Obama. Obama will chew them up and spit them out. Close national election it will be, probably a Obama victory of 6 or 8 million votes.

The GOP needs to find another late-entry to take-on Obama. Jeb Bush would be strong.

You talk about Christianity and Jeb Bush in the same breath? The son of Mr. Brave "new world order"? The brother of Mr. secret prison camps and torture George Bush? The grandson of nazi sympathizer and supporter Prescott Bush?

You are no more a christian than Bush or Gingrich is ... Or you are simply woefully ignorant.

"And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness."

"Then will He say to those at His left, "'Begone from me, with the curse resting upon you, into the Fire of the Ages, which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels.""

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 01-19-2012 at 05:55 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 05:19 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,093,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp
the man seemingly has no moral compass, compared to romney who is a squeaky-clean, church-going, family-loving man who doesn't even swear let alone cheat on his wives.
lol
oops, my bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections