Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:31 PM

730 posts, read 829,169 times

Advertisements

An honest question to all those here that identify themselves as both a social and neo conservative... those that get behind rick perry, rick santorum, and the likes. I have a hard time rationalizing how one could be a good christain person while also supporting war. Keep in mind that since WWII, 90% of all causalties are civilians.. people like you and me. If there are people on here that fit into this category, I would appreciate some open dialogue on this. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,560,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
An honest question to all those here that identify themselves as both a social and neo conservative... those that get behind rick perry, rick santorum, and the likes. I have a hard time rationalizing how one could be a good christain person while also supporting war. Keep in mind that since WWII, 90% of all causalties are civilians.. people like you and me. If there are people on here that fit into this category, I would appreciate some open dialogue on this. Thanks
I do not label myself to anything at all. I usually just tell you how I believe, agree or disagree, etc.
I also do not label your views in any form. I just read what you believe and let you know how I agree or disagree.

I am not a Christian also but I will reply because in the past I used to be a Christian so I have an idea of Christians think.

First of all, the reality in this world when it comes to world affairs is this:
Friendship binds men but national interests binds countries.

In other words political leaders are supposed to deal in terms of national interests.
Regardless whether your are Christian or not, the reality is that elected leaders will have to handle situations in a way that they do not compromise our national interests.

The sad reality is that countries go to war to protect and advance their national interests. In war you cannot exclude civilians. It is not like armies go to an open field and have at it with no civilians around. Remember that war means that both parties do try to neutralize all war means. Does that mean that a factory in a city that produces bombs cannot be distroyed where civilians work? Do you not think that civilian know they can be targets? Also, do you not think that many civilians do support the war effort in many ways?
Now, if you want to be an idealist and govern with this in mind, try it and you will learn the same other elected leaders did and changed their minds and use some not so nice methods to do their duty.

How about disarming our whole country? Do you not think that other countries will not contemplate taking our country for the resources we have. Other countries in the past have done the same thing on other naive countries. As far as I am concerned I do not want to take a chance with what you seem to infer here. Take care.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I do not label myself to anything at all. I usually just tell you how I believe, agree or disagree, etc.
I also do not label your views in any form. I just read what you believe and let you know how I agree or disagree.

I am not a Christian also but I will reply because in the past I used to be a Christian so I have an idea of Christians think.

First of all, the reality in this world when it comes to world affairs is this:
Friendship binds men but national interests binds countries.

In other words political leaders are supposed to deal in terms of national interests.
Regardless whether your are Christian or not, the reality is that elected leaders will have to handle situations in a way that they do not compromise our national interests.

The sad reality is that countries go to war to protect and advance their national interests. In war you cannot exclude civilians. It is not like armies go to an open field and have at it with no civilians around. Remember that war means that both parties do try to neutralize all war means. Does that mean that a factory in a city that produces bombs cannot be distroyed where civilians work? Do you not think that civilian know they can be targets? Also, do you not think that many civilians do support the war effort in many ways?
Now, if you want to be an idealist and govern with this in mind, try it and you will learn the same other elected leaders did and changed their minds and use some not so nice methods to do their duty.

How about disarming our whole country? Do you not think that other countries will not contemplate taking our country for the resources we have. Other countries in the past have done the same thing on other naive countries. As far as I am concerned I do not want to take a chance with what you seem to infer here. Take care.
This is really the thought process of a Christian? That national interest is the means to justify war? War, i remind you, is the legailzing of murder of another country's citizens.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:56 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,151,893 times
Most Christians support war because they feel it will speed up armageddon and they will be raptured! This is delusional thinking and God will deal with them.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:08 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,815,673 times
Quote:
Really? You are struggling with this? OK, I'll bite.

Those who wear the "social conservative" label on their sleeves are not really conservatives at all, in the sense that they are FOR big government. To impose their social conservative views on others (which is what their platform is all about), they would need to expand the government from its current size, and which would directly go against the very concept of "conservatism". These folks are either really liberals or neo-conservatives, and they are detached from any party, and has nothing to do with the original concept of conservatism.

This is not to take away from the fact that there are real social conservatives, but these folks don't push their values upon others (which would be very unchristian in itself) and are also non-interventionists who believes in the "Just-War" theory.

You wanna hear a real social conservative who values LIFE? I mean to the extent that he doesn't want to kill innocent foreigners? Listen to this:

Ron Paul's Full Speech at the Value Voters Summit 2011 - YouTube

Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Really? You are struggling with this? OK, I'll bite.

Those who wear the "social conservative" label on their sleeves are not really conservatives at all, in the sense that they are FOR big government. To impose their social conservative views on others (which is what their platform is all about), they would need to expand the government from its current size, and which would directly go against the very concept of "conservatism". These folks are either really liberals or neo-conservatives, and they are detached from any party, and has nothing to do with the original concept of conservatism.

This is not to take away from the fact that there are real social conservatives, but these folks don't push their values upon others (which would be very unchristian in itself) and are also non-interventionists who believes in the "Just-War" theory.

You wanna hear a real social conservative who values LIFE? I mean to the extent that he doesn't want to kill innocent foreigners? Listen to this:

Ron Paul's Full Speech at the Value Voters Summit 2011 - YouTube
well i am a ron paul supporter myself and I agree with what you have said. I just wanted to hear from the wing of the republican party that votes for the likes of rick santorum and rick perry and how they justify the need to go to war over their christain values. I am trying to understand the psychology of it all.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I suppose Christians to see it this way. Remember that in the Old Testament he authorized the killing of women and children to take land.

However, the reality still is the same whether you are Christian or not. I already explained to you the principle I quoted. Whether you like it or not, that is the reality. Why not you try going into politics so you get a taste of reality out there in the world arena. It is very easy to play armchair quaterback. Care to do the real thing? Take care.
the world will not change if the most powerful nation on earth does not change. peace through peace. peace

Old 01-02-2012, 09:14 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,441,067 times
Quote:
An honest question to all those here that identify themselves as neo conservative... . Thanks
I can't recall ever hearing anyone identify 'themselves' as neo-conservative.It's generally directed at people as an insult by those who consider themselves to be 'true conservatives' at those that aren't but claim to be.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:48 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,715,233 times
Quote:
the world will not change if the most powerful nation on earth does not change. peace through peace. peace

The most powerful nation on earth, is on a powertrip...

Lead by example?

Rule by force?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
I don't think most of us support a candidate because of one issue. We can be for someone and not totally agree with him or her. Do you think the candidate you are supporting is 100% right on every issue..

That plus because some of us are anti Iran, let's say or want to keep some troops in foreign lands does not mean we are pro war.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections