Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:10 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,822,071 times

Advertisements

What would be the appeal of a gay-bashing, ethnophobe like Santorum and Bachmann, or even Perry, outside of the evangelical GOP base? I understand why the evangelicals are rooting for them, but do they think that Santorum or Bachmann will go down well with Democrats and Independents, both of whose votes the GOP nominee will need to win a general election? I can't imagine anyone outside of the evangelical base touching these candidates with a barge-pole. Perry started off as a "jobs-guy", but even he has turned to the "dark side" with his "War on Christmas" paranoia and the like.

As far as I can see, the world is moving more and more towards recognizing LGBT rights, with more and more states in the U.S. loosening up on this (Europe is already very gay friendly). Also, as much as what the social conservatives like to think, this is not a Christian nation and it says nothing of the sort in the Constitution. Our Founding Fathers were not even religious.

So this extreme brand of gay-bashing and Muslim-bashing in this day and age, does that work (especially gay-bashing)? I am a straight guy myself, but I don't have any issues with gays and I am not sure why people have a problem with them.

I have been trying to wrap my head around this. Am I off-base here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 09:11 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,545,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
What would be the appeal of a gay-bashing, ethnophobe like Santorum and Bachmann, or even Perry, outside of the evangelical GOP base? I understand why the evangelicals are rooting for them, but do they think that Santorum or Bachmann will go down well with Democrats and Independents, both of whose votes the GOP nominee will need to win a general election?
There are a lot of Democrats who are socially conservative but more fiscally liberal. Most depend on welfare.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:31 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,263,615 times
There are a lot of Republicans who are socially conservative but more fiscally liberal. Most depend on welfare, and are found in the poorly educated, low income states like Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, etc...

Which precisely explains why the GOP must win over their votes by being the bible-banging, tinfoil-hat wearing, loon party.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,523,003 times
^^^ Spot on (and I believe the appropriate expression is "fishing for bottom-feeders")!!
More seriously, the "social conservatives" are actually a minority even within the GOP... except they're more "motivated" (and "noisier")!

Beyond Red vs. Blue: Value Divides Within the Party Coalitions l Pew Research Center Report

Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,545,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
There are a lot of Republicans who are socially conservative but more fiscally liberal. Most depend on welfare, and are found in the poorly educated, low income states like Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, etc...

Which precisely explains why the GOP must win over their votes by being the bible-banging, tinfoil-hat wearing, loon party.
The Democrats win over a lot of these people's votes as well because of welfare.

And, BTW, it's laughable to compare TX to MS or AL.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 12-22-2011 at 05:12 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 05:03 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,243,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
What would be the appeal of a gay-bashing, ethnophobe like Santorum and Bachmann, or even Perry, outside of the evangelical GOP base? I understand why the evangelicals are rooting for them, but do they think that Santorum or Bachmann will go down well with Democrats and Independents, both of whose votes the GOP nominee will need to win a general election? I can't imagine anyone outside of the evangelical base touching these candidates with a barge-pole. Perry started off as a "jobs-guy", but even he has turned to the "dark side" with his "War on Christmas" paranoia and the like.

As far as I can see, the world is moving more and more towards recognizing LGBT rights, with more and more states in the U.S. loosening up on this (Europe is already very gay friendly). Also, as much as what the social conservatives like to think, this is not a Christian nation and it says nothing of the sort in the Constitution. Our Founding Fathers were not even religious.

So this extreme brand of gay-bashing and Muslim-bashing in this day and age, does that work (especially gay-bashing)? I am a straight guy myself, but I don't have any issues with gays and I am not sure why people have a problem with them.

I have been trying to wrap my head around this. Am I off-base here?
You must be gay. Correct?

Old 12-22-2011, 05:26 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,523,003 times
Why, does that make any difference for you...?

Old 12-22-2011, 05:30 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,704,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
You must be gay. Correct?
I am straight but his/her sexual orientation is irrelevant.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,562,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post

You forgot a State......

Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,704,943 times
I know why people have an issue with gays:

They believe in selective "rights".

They believe freedom should only be given to those whom they share the same views with.

(I am Catholic by the way. I do not agree with Homosexuality from a religious perspective but who the hell am I to tell people how to live their lives?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections