Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:36 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

Why is it whenever the GOP runs someone who campaigns on a fiscally conservative/moderately,non-religious social issue platform, they're almost always competitive, barring the election being in an extremely liberal area?

Example: I know that Democrats weren't out in full force in 2009, but Bob McDonnell ran on such a platform and carried Fairfax County in Northern Virginia which is pretty good for a republican.

Another Example: Even Pre-Sandy, Chris Christie was still competitive for reelection in New Jersey

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
it is anyone who runs to the middle not just republicans

Old 04-25-2013, 08:57 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why is it whenever the GOP runs someone who campaigns on a fiscally conservative/moderately,non-religious social issue platform, they're almost always competitive, barring the election being in an extremely liberal area?

Example: I know that Democrats weren't out in full force in 2009, but Bob McDonnell ran on such a platform and carried Fairfax County in Northern Virginia which is pretty good for a republican.

Another Example: Even Pre-Sandy, Chris Christie was still competitive for reelection in New Jersey

What are your thoughts?
Christie is anti-gay, so he does not qualify.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
Because fiscally conservative/moderately,non-religious social issue platform has been ceded to the Democrats in most places. Pretty much everyone considers themselves to be fiscally conservative, it's just a question of who's spending is a priority. Both parities have moved so far to the right that moderate approaches to both government and social issues have pretty much been handed off to the Democrats. A Republican in many states has a difficult time getting through primaries without being either a Randian ideologue and/or socially regressive, and religious.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
McDonnell ran a great campaign against a terrible candidate. Christie's approval rating soared after Sandy because he didn't play the part in GOP's scorched earth strategy.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
There are big differences in the two men: Christie has a certain personality that gets people's attention: McDonnell is boring. Whether we like it or not, people vote personality as well as other things. I do not consider Christie a moderate when it comes to everything, he is for amnesty but a lot of Republicans are. He is basically a moderate conservative I would say. McDonnell doesn't come out as being particularly strong on most issues. I just see two very different candidates. You might also be surprised how many Republicans are fiscally conservative and socially middle of the road, feeling strongly about most issues, but not always strong conservatively. Many of us are also not really hung up on religion like the OP thinks we are. In fact the majority of us probably are not. Believe it or not, there are some really holier than thou Democrats as well. I know, some of them go to my church..

Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There are big differences in the two men: Christie has a certain personality that gets people's attention: McDonnell is boring. Whether we like it or not, people vote personality as well as other things. I do not consider Christie a moderate when it comes to everything, he is for amnesty but a lot of Republicans are. He is basically a moderate conservative I would say. McDonnell doesn't come out as being particularly strong on most issues. I just see two very different candidates. You might also be surprised how many Republicans are fiscally conservative and socially middle of the road, feeling strongly about most issues, but not always strong conservatively. Many of us are also not really hung up on religion like the OP thinks we are. In fact the majority of us probably are not. Believe it or not, there are some really holier than thou Democrats as well. I know, some of them go to my church..
A pathway to citizenship is not amnesty.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:26 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
McDonnell signed the pre-abortion ultra-sound bill and has just recently introduced a bill amendment that would ban private health insurance policies that cover abortions from participating in the Virginia insurance exchanges. I'd hardly call those the signs of a social moderate.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
A pathway to citizenship is not amnesty.
Duh; I used it as an expression, so stop getting so technical for heavens sake. And yes, it is a form of amnesty for heavens sake.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
McDonnell signed the pre-abortion ultra-sound bill and has just recently introduced a bill amendment that would ban private health insurance policies that cover abortions from participating in the Virginia insurance exchanges. I'd hardly call those the signs of a social moderate.
You have to remember there are several social issues facing us today. I am not saying how I feel about him, but one issue does not necessarily make a person moderate, conservative or liberal. Most of us, if we use our brain and are honest are a mixture, depending on the issue. I know, I certainly am. On social issues, I have conservative views, moderate views and actually pretty liberal views, depending on the issue. Anyone who doesn't hold various views has their head in the sand and isn't thinking with an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections