Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:25 AM

37,832 posts, read 41,175,401 times

Advertisements

The last person who went directly to the White House from the House of Representatives was Garfield.

Ron Paul has no executive experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,671,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The last person who went directly to the White House from the House of Representatives was Garfield.

Uncanny. I thought about how you brought that reality to the table..a few months ago...just yesterday. And I thought...man, that is a big factor to cause 'pause' about Ron Paul's ability to be effective as a POTUSA.

And now...you bring that up AGAIN. - Wow...I totally AGREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:41 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,789,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Paul has been running for something since the 80s. With the exception of his local, congressional district, he's never won any political race he's had. He's been in Washington longer than anybody else running for potus. Can anyone name one bill, (just one) that he has sponsored and had passed by congress in all that time? Can anyone name one piece of legislation that could be attached to Ron Paul that has had an impact on our government or our nation as a whole?
Ron Paul is a libertarian Ralph Nader who lives on the fringe of the political mainstream and has never been a factor; even in his own party. Why does anybody think that he will be different now?
Because of all the reasons you have named above, and many more ... But of course, thats what change means after all, something different than the established norm.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post

I can't imagine what any Republican attack ad on Ron Paul would be like though. I guess they'd try to paint his foreign policy as absurd but the irony of that coming from any of the other candidates would create a vortex in the center of the universe so massive it would threaten to suck all of existence inside it.

ROTFLMAO!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

That's Funny, Reagan had no experience as an executive either, in fact he had no experience in government either ...

Old 12-20-2011, 12:59 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,671,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
That's Funny, Reagan had no experience as an executive either, in fact he had no experience in government either ...
I guess being the Governor of California does not count as experience in government, does it, pal?

Man, don't keep embarrassing yourself...

Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,263,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If Paul gets the nomination, Paul WILL win the presidency. THAT is why the left and right media are so damn scared of him.
I believe that assessment is correct.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
I guess being the Governor of California does not count as experience in government, does it, pal?

Man, don't keep embarrassing yourself...
You really are an Quality Guy, i tell ya! ... I meant in Washington, in the federal government.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 AM

29,250 posts, read 22,529,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The party "establishments" are exactly what we need to get rid of. His organization is much stronger than you realize/admit to, and we can always send in more money as deemed appropriate. People believe in Ron Paul. The other candidates are not very believable.
I'm not talking about party establishments.
I hope his organization is stronger than I think, because i would like to see Paul run against Obama. It would be the best race held in many years if it was to happen.

A candidate does not need his party to win the nomination in the early stages, but any Republican candidate who goes it on his own without RNC support has to have a highly skilled core of professionals who are with him all the way, and who work from within and without the candidate's campaign. Professional, by it's definition, means payment for services received. I haven't seen any mention of those folks in the Paul campaign, but that's not to say he doesn't have them... he may or may not. Usually, those with the best reputation and connections announce who they are working for.

Volunteers are always critical, but at some point, a candidate has to have folks with high fund-raising skills, or have them himself, or both. This is a very large and diverse country, and a winner has to be able to reach out to as many potential voters as he can.

In the earliest stages, it is relatively easy, but as a primary campaign goes along, it becomes harder and harder. There are always some critical states where a lot of money has to be spent to spread the word, especially if the state isn't favorable to the candidate.

Super Tuesday breaks the backs of most of the campaigns. Coming out of Super Tuesday a winner creates a situation where one candidate has an overwhelming lead over all the others typically, but if a 2nd or 3rd place candidate has heavy support, one can go on and eventually take the lead away.
That possibility heavily depends on the Super Tuesday turnout. A light turnout can really help a dark horse, but I firmly believe that the one next year will be the heaviest in years for the Republicans... there is a big field that is dividing the voters now.

You and I and all the other folks who come onto this forum and talk politics are not at all representative of the majority of voters. Most folks just don't care all that much, and most don't know all that much.

A lot of voters are intentionally staying out of politics right now, because really a lot of folks are sick and tired of hearing about it so much, and are tired of being bombarded with so many conflicting points of view. They will turn out and vote in Super Tuesday, but they won't make up their minds until a relatively short time beforehand.

The professionals who know how to snag their attention will get 'em- it happens every time. It always takes months of prep work to be able to move around quickly, place radio, newspaper and TV ads, get important local offices up and running, etc.

If Paul has his guys, I'm glad. In the past, this has been his weak spot. I am sure not going to say the RNC won't fall in and support him if he comes through the earlies- Iowa, N. Hampshire, S. Carolina and Florida as #1 or #2. The RNC dumped Romney and all the others in 2008 for McCain, and blew it badly. These guys are no dummies, and won't do that again. But that doesn't mean that they'll automatically turn their support to Paul, either.

It will all become a lot clearer in 30 days. Until then, all of us here are trying to peer into a very smoky mirror.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,908,647 times
If I was an US citizen I would vote Ron Paul in an eyewink, regardless who is in front of him.
He is just so much more articulate than his opponents and above the fray (religious wackos on one side, left wing liberals on the other)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections