Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,909,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Obama's trailed "any Republican" for quite a while. The problem for the GOP is, as soon as the pollster NAMES a Republican candidate, Obama beats him/her pretty handily (I think Romney is the most competative).

The article you linked goes on to say that, at this stage in Reagan's first term, with the economy in the tank, Mondale led the Gipper in the polls. And we all know how that turned out.

Bottom line, if the economy shows signs of improving, Obama will cruise to re-election. If it doesn't, he'll be in a tough race against a reasonably electable GOPer (*cough not Bachmann, Palin, Cain, Paul or Santorom cough*)
I can agree with this because as soon as Romney is most likely nominated, I am registering libertarian and voting a straight libertarian ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:03 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,930,197 times
the op is not credible so i automatically dismiss anything he says.

the main reason why i just blanked out is when he said gallup is left leaning.

left leaning is ppp and research 2000.

gallup has always been the standard and is as neutral as the mason dixon poll.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:06 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,207,585 times
This thread seems to pop up often and I feel like I've said this before, but w/e. In a high up race like a presidential election where candidates are very individualized and well-defined, polls against generic candidates are inherently misleading and reflect more the discontent with the current administration than the actual desire to change it. Notice that when you name a candidate, you attach that candidate to a set of beliefs that many people may, surprise, object to. Notice that all candidates become somewhat less popular as you get further down the line and they have to actually take stands, and the popularity of a president almost always declines from when they are elected to when they have to actually make policy decisions.

TL;DR I'll put stock in these polls when parties gain the ability to run "generic candidate" on a ballot.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:07 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,155,813 times
Its way to early to be celebrating this outcome. However, I think it speaks significantly to the failures of this President. Had the President brought the "Hope and Change" that he promised, then he'd be sailing above the GOP with little concern for losing in 2012. That he's even considered for a one-term President, as indicated by this poll, speaks volumes of his lack of success as a President.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:39 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,307,090 times
Default Oops! Gallup has Republican candidate up 8% over Obama

Methinks Obama is toast.

"Republican Candidate" Extends Lead vs. Obama to 47% to 39%

Old 07-15-2011, 09:43 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,209,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Replace "Republican candidate" with a specific candidate, any of them and post the results....

Old 07-15-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Replace "Republican candidate" with a specific candidate, any of them and post the results....
Have to see how both party's primaries go actually.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:54 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,155,813 times
Its way to early to be celebrating this outcome. However, I think it speaks significantly to the failures of this President. Had the President brought the "Hope and Change" that he promised, then he'd be sailing above the GOP with little concern for losing in 2012. That he's even considered for a one-term President, as indicated by this poll, speaks volumes of his lack of success as a President.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Problems with the economy will persist or get worse, it's pretty much a certainty. That will weigh even greater on Obama's legacy. The perception is that the double dip will be Obama's fault as much as 2008 was Bush's fault.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:07 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,853,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Problems with the economy will persist or get worse, it's pretty much a certainty. That will weigh even greater on Obama's legacy. The perception is that the double dip will be Obama's fault as much as 2008 was Bush's fault.
Just the political recipe that the republicans have been cooking since Nov 4, 2008 (but none of them is grown up enough to acknowledge it).

Anyway, the subject of this thread deserves a bit of hilarity...

Generic Republican Presidential Nominee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections