Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:33 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,831,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yet there he is.

Kinda like graham and mccain not being close to being a Republican.
Leibermann is an indy dem warhawk not a libertarian in any sense.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 AM

865 posts, read 677,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
IMHO Paul supporters have consistently been the best at grassroots organizing. I have never seen such enormous commitment to a primary candidate in either party.
There is just a hell of a lot more of us than the media likes to lead on, and the majority don't bother to organize or use the internet for politics.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
Well Huntsman bused boatloads of people in from his campaign. That's very different than a crowd of supporters that just happen to come off a bus organically, without any campaign.
what are you not seeing here? You are talking out of both sides of your mouth, you just pointed out what I was saying, it has to do with who is attending these meetings, not an overall poll that means anything. Are you aware of a few other of these meetings 3 or 4 months ago? It it like your favorite cruise line or hotel chain asking you to vote for them in a poll on the net or whereever. They mean less than nothing. The next gathering, maybe in IL or wherever, will show a different candidate in front.

I realize how strongly some are supporting Paul, but many are doing it with their eyes completely closed: 1-those who do support him think he is God; someone was elected 3 years ago because too many thought he had no faults: look what we got. Paul has some good ideas, he has some that are not good, but those who support him only see the good. I have yet to see the few, on here, who are supporters say any idea he has is questionable or bad. 2-most will not even accept the chances of his winning the nomination is about 50 to 1 at best. That being said: I am happy for those of you are excited about the results and if it comes down to voting for him or Obama I would probably support him. In fact I know I would.

Nita

Old 06-20-2011, 09:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
IMHO Paul supporters have consistently been the best at grassroots organizing. I have never seen such enormous commitment to a primary candidate in either party.
Do you remember when Reagan ran the first time?

Nita

Old 06-20-2011, 11:49 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,687,605 times
K lets look at this way... who in here is voting for Romeny

Old 06-20-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what are you not seeing here? You are talking out of both sides of your mouth, you just pointed out what I was saying, it has to do with who is attending these meetings, not an overall poll that means anything. Are you aware of a few other of these meetings 3 or 4 months ago? It it like your favorite cruise line or hotel chain asking you to vote for them in a poll on the net or whereever. They mean less than nothing. The next gathering, maybe in IL or wherever, will show a different candidate in front.

Nita
I respectfully disagree. Even the supporters that organized were worried, because of the regulars, barely anyone showed up to RLC. But new supporters came in, on their own. To me, that id very different, than organizing 350 people to take 6 buses by the official campaign.

It's a level playing field when it comes to the straw polls. EVERYONE plays by the same rules. Yes, I think it's unfair when the official campaigns bus people in, just to vote for Huntsman or Bachmann. However, they are free to do it.

It's like complaining that someone beat you at a game of checkers, because you decided to move your back row. The rules are still the same, the playing field is level. It's not like phone polls or online polls, its not like going to a targeted demographic that you know, will support one candidate over another, no, it is absolutely level.

When the media tries to discredit Paul for winning fair and square, it does bother me personally. I can't speak for others, nor do I roll myself into any group or label, so I can't speak for others, but I want to see fairness and honesty. Not spin and slander.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
Quote:
I respectfully disagree. Even the supporters that organized were worried, because of the regulars, barely anyone showed up to RLC. But new supporters came in, on their own. To me, that id very different, than organizing 350 people to take 6 buses by the official campaign.

It's a level playing field when it comes to the straw polls. EVERYONE plays by the same rules. Yes, I think it's unfair when the official campaigns bus people in, just to vote for Huntsman or Bachmann. However, they are free to do it.

It's like complaining that someone beat you at a game of checkers, because you decided to move your back row. The rules are still the same, the playing field is level. It's not like phone polls or online polls, its not like going to a targeted demographic that you know, will support one candidate over another, no, it is absolutely level.

When the media tries to discredit Paul for winning fair and square, it does bother me personally. I can't speak for others, nor do I roll myself into any group or label, so I can't speak for others, but I want to see fairness and honesty. Not spin and slander.
Agree 100%.

Knowing the state that Soros has in the MSM, and that the WH sends out its talking points to it every day, when the MSM then tries to pick the winners and losers via distortion of the facts and truth I see an evil agenda being implemented.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:15 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,284,928 times
Quote:
Yes, if the media actually covered Paul like they covered Tim Pawlenty, half the country would be in favor of Ron Paul.

His ideas appeal to everyone, young, old, democrat, republican, libertarian...etc.

This year is different though. Time.com just had an 5 page article on the candidates where they mention Romney over 80 times and only mention Paul once, and only in one sentence. Then they have a poll you can vote on online for your favorite candidate. Ron Paul has 70% of the vote, Romney has only 16%. They promised to publish the results of the poll next week... I can't wait to see what they say about this!! They will probably try to spin it though and say Romney has overwhelming support...

Old 06-20-2011, 02:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Do you remember when Reagan ran the first time?

Nita
This is not a 1st time campaign or election. The time in history to acknowledge Paul's ideas has come and hopefully, with a whole lot of work, the 3rd time will be a charm.

Paul doesn't lie and he doesn't spin. While politically honesty may harm a candidate I believe Americans are tired of politicians lying to them. Maybe they will clean out their ears and listen to more than just what they want to hear but look at all Paul has spoken of in the past for which he was labeled a "nut" that have indeed come to pass. Maybe this time they will bother to examine actual voting records and compare those candidats who only talk and those who walk the talk.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This is not a 1st time campaign or election. The time in history to acknowledge Paul's ideas has come and hopefully, with a whole lot of work, the 3rd time will be a charm.

Paul doesn't lie and he doesn't spin. While politically honesty may harm a candidate I believe Americans are tired of politicians lying to them. Maybe they will clean out their ears and listen to more than just what they want to hear but look at all Paul has spoken of in the past for which he was labeled a "nut" that have indeed come to pass. Maybe this time they will bother to examine actual voting records and compare those candidats who only talk and those who walk the talk.
I have this pet peeve. Maybe it's how I am wired, I don't know. But I do not like when someone proposes an idea, then the critics come out without ever offering a better idea(with the facts to go along with it.) Even if Ron Paul did it, I would have a moment of disgust, but I have not seen him do it. And in fairness, I am not counting those who have a short time frame to demonstrate an answer(this goes for everyone.) But even then, Paul has done a great job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections