Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,790,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
U.S. Senate candidate Sharron Angle told a crowd of supporters that the country needs to address a "militant terrorist situation" that has allowed Islamic religious law to take hold in some American cities.

Her comments came at a rally of tea party supporters in the Nevada resort town of Mesquite last week after the candidate was asked about Muslims angling to take over the country, and marked the latest of several controversial remarks by the Nevada Republican.
Angle: Muslim law taking hold in parts of U.S. - Politics - Decision 2010 - msnbc.com

She seems too young to be senile, but I'm starting to wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 02:09 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,860,439 times
This makes me like Sharron Angle all the more. I am seeing a lot of signs that the U.S is moving towards Islamic values. For example Sesame Street not airing the segment with Katy Perry because some angry viewers thought she was showing too much cleavege.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:31 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,461,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
This makes me like Sharron Angle all the more. I am seeing a lot of signs that the U.S is moving towards Islamic values. For example Sesame Street not airing the segment with Katy Perry because some angry viewers thought she was showing too much cleavege.
Is this a serious post?

I mean, I know the Katy Perry and cleavage story. But I have never heard it was because of 'Islamic values'?? I've heard it's because Americans are typically uptight about sexuality...I've heard christians are offended...these things have always been this way since the beginning of the country's findings and well before. They are because we were a strong puritan country.

Never ever heard its because the US is moving towards Islamic values before? Just plain weird to hear that.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:05 AM

22,278 posts, read 19,624,969 times
Quote:
What the hell did that have to do with Muslims?? Hell the main people who were pushing for the segment to be taken off the air was the PTC (Parents Television Council) A conservative Christian group

Old 10-08-2010, 05:04 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,460,892 times
Quote:
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw that. I don't think there is a 3 year old in the country that noticed what she was showing. heck they see much more in the neighborhood grocery store every day..

NIta

Old 10-08-2010, 05:06 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,460,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is this a serious post?

I mean, I know the Katy Perry and cleavage story. But I have never heard it was because of 'Islamic values'?? I've heard it's because Americans are typically uptight about sexuality...I've heard christians are offended...these things have always been this way since the beginning of the country's findings and well before. They are because we were a strong puritan country.

Never ever heard its because the US is moving towards Islamic values before? Just plain weird to hear that.
i don't think he said that: he said, the country is leaning in the same direction. Of course it had nothing to do with Islamic values directly. Either way, I am certainly a Christian, somewhat fundamentalist and I just thought the entire thing was a joke.

Nita

Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 AM

5,389 posts, read 7,267,717 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is this a serious post?

I mean, I know the Katy Perry and cleavage story. But I have never heard it was because of 'Islamic values'??
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i don't think he said that: he said, the country is leaning in the same direction. Of course it had nothing to do with Islamic values directly. Either way, I am certainly a Christian, somewhat fundamentalist and I just thought the entire thing was a joke.

Nita
Oh, I think he did mean to claim that the Katy Perry flap was a sign of Islamic influence. Otherwise, why would he like Sharon Angle more because of her statement? You say Jay meant "Islamic values" in the sense of fundamentalist religious values having a say in our secular lives. Sharon Angle is most certainly in the camp believing that we need more religion in government. She has made numerous statements advancing a role for fundamentalist Christian ideas in our laws and government. So if one were concerned about the encroachment of "Islamic-like (i.e. fundamentalist/theocratic, but not necessarily Islamic) values" taking hold, one would not like Sharon Angle.

Want to clear that up, Jay?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:54 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,691,309 times
And so the fear mongering from the right has begun once again.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 AM

23,832 posts, read 17,504,995 times
Default Newsflash

Don't know about covertly taking over but several countries like Austrailia and Great Britian, among others, have issued mainstream concerns of their laws being tainted with sharia.

OK proposing law to ban implementation of sharia law

http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1996914371/Sharia-law-courts-likely-on-2010-ballot

The NJ judge was the latest evidence that sharia is seeping in to US law.

http://creepingsharia.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/new-jersey-judge-rules-islamic-sharia-law-trumps-u-s-law/
"Judge Joseph Charles, in denying the restraining order to the woman after her divorce, ruled that her ex-husband felt he had behaved according to his Muslim beliefs — and that he did not have “criminal desire to or intent to sexually assault” his wife."

Perhaps SA has read the news?

Old 10-08-2010, 11:21 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,392,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And so the fear mongering from the right has begun once again.
Fear-mongering? She's right. Some of you folks should open your eyes and see what's going on in this country.

Answering Muslims: SPECIAL REPORT:Sharia Comes to Dearborn, Michigan

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-24-500-a.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections