Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingtha View Post
I miss how the desert earth smells after it rains..... when it rains here in Houston, the only smells around are the "chemical odor du jour". Never does it feel refreshing after the rain.
How often does it rain in El Paso?

I don't generally associate the rain with the desert...by the sound of it, it is a frequent enough occurence in El Paso?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How often does it rain in El Paso?

I don't generally associate the rain with the desert...by the sound of it, it is a frequent enough occurence in El Paso?
No. Rain is rare here. It's been about 6 months since it's rained. It may not rain until July.

We get very little rain here, sometimes as little as 7 to 11 inches of rain in a year. When it does rain, it rains 2 or 3 times a week for about 4-5 weeks or oftener but hitting different parts of town. Those can be pretty good downpours.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:18 AM

479 posts, read 1,293,826 times
yea and amazingly i have found that you have to be careful of flooding ~ which is something that i would have never associated with the desert!!!! I believe I learned that from Muhnay ~ he was very vocal about the flooding that occurs in a lot of the newly developed subdivisons cuz the planners didn't take that into consideration.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:43 PM

730 posts, read 1,894,896 times
We have had water related issues with our house since we moved here a few years ago. And it started with the 2006 floods. Our roof is on it second re-do and hopefully we will stay dry this summer. I have spoken to many folks who have had constant water issues during the heavy rains...and this is after getting new roofs also. Our property is also subject to water build up around the sides...don't know if this is because of settling, but even putting in drainage will require a regrade of our property (not cheap). I think, like the city, developers here think they can short cut construction because we are a "dry" city. Look at what happened to thos folks who bought the Saratoga homes in the NE last summer. It's not just their roofs, but the drainage of the streets. All done with the bad assumption that we are a desert city and do not need to waterproof.

Anyone who thinks these stout rock walls are not subject to the hazards of water...look out. Check the composition on the upper level concrete holding those rocks together. If it is gritty or sandy toward the top, beware of a contractor cheaping out by adding more sand than concrete...it dissolves like Kool Aid in water and may collapse. And it is not cheap to re-do either. We have a 15 foot rock wall and I could literally put my finger thorough the cracks when the wall hit about 5 feet high. The good concrete is smoother.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:49 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
Anyone who thinks these stout rock walls are not subject to the hazards of water...look out. Check the composition on the upper level concrete holding those rocks together. If it is gritty or sandy toward the top, beware of a contractor cheaping out by adding more sand than concrete...it dissolves like Kool Aid in water and may collapse. And it is not cheap to re-do either. We have a 15 foot rock wall and I could literally put my finger thorough the cracks when the wall hit about 5 feet high. The good concrete is smoother.
we went w/ a cheap company the first time we had our wall built up (miss those walls!) and it SUCKED. We ended up having to get our neighbor to redo it (Mace Lomeli of Lomeli & Sons). I was so mad at myself for having spent money on cheap stuff the 1st time around!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
yea and amazingly i have found that you have to be careful of flooding ~ which is something that i would have never associated with the desert!!!! I believe I learned that from Muhnay ~ he was very vocal about the flooding that occurs in a lot of the newly developed subdivisons cuz the planners didn't take that into consideration.
Even some of the older homes are affected by what poor quality builders are doing upstream of them. You have to be careful. It's a good idea to take a walk up the Franklins and take a good look at where the arroyos begin. You can clearly see that there are ancient arroyos that have been filled in with sand and new homes. That sand will wash back down off the mountain.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:44 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
I'd like to hear from people who are leaving El Paso, or are thinking of leaving, or who have left El Paso. What reasons did you have for leaving? Where did you go? Do you have any regrets about leaving?
I left El Paso & came to Hell (a/k/a Iowa)... have been between and ever since

Old 05-29-2009, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,587 times
I was born in elpiso, graduated high school in elpiso and still have my parents and grandparents and other extended family in el piso and find its a drag when I have to go back there to visit because they are there. I moved around alot in between living there from beginning to end and know that the mountain is the only thing beautiful in elpaso. The hatred that is around with the peoples of elpiso was rediculous. It is the armpit of texas!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:42 AM

730 posts, read 1,894,896 times
Default You are...

...the anti-EXCHUCO RESIDENT. Similar situation, different feelings. Talk about the ying and the yang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babrining View Post
I was born in elpiso, graduated high school in elpiso and still have my parents and grandparents and other extended family in el piso and find its a drag when I have to go back there to visit because they are there. I moved around alot in between living there from beginning to end and know that the mountain is the only thing beautiful in elpaso. The hatred that is around with the peoples of elpiso was rediculous. It is the armpit of texas!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:11 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babrining View Post
The hatred that is around with the peoples of elpiso was rediculous.
It is ridiculous as well!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso