Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 01:01 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,706,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babrining View Post
I was born in elpiso, graduated high school in elpiso and still have my parents and grandparents and other extended family in el piso and find its a drag when I have to go back there to visit because they are there. I moved around alot in between living there from beginning to end and know that the mountain is the only thing beautiful in elpaso. The hatred that is around with the peoples of elpiso was rediculous. It is the armpit of texas!
Ha..ha..."El Piso" ...ha ha. Where do you live now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 02:34 PM

28 posts, read 102,817 times
Default Current Resident

Good post. Here is my story:

I was born in El Paso and raised here until the age of 6 and had a wonderful childhood growing up with my family. My parents received better job opportunities and we ended up moving to Kansas City Missouri. As you can imagine, we were quite the minority there and had a great time meeting new people, living in a new culture, and traveling around the USA at least 3 times a year. My family and I lived there for 6 years, until the sad news that my grandmother very ill. We realized that we needed to move back to El Paso for her. Her illness destroyed her very slowly and it was an honor to spend the last 2 years of her life with her.

On our return, my sister and I quickly realized that our elementary education from KS was more advanced than other students. For example: by the time I was in 3rd grade I already knew my multiplication tables, proper english grammar, long division, and even reading at a 3rd grade level. When we came back to El Paso, I was enrolled into Tierra Del Sol and very far ahead of the other students. As you could imagine, the first years back were a breeze and I still remember being assigned coloring homework which was amazing to me at the time . Needless to say, school finally caught up by the end of my 5th grade year... go figure. I ended up attending Desert View Middle and finishing up at Hanks High School with a high enough GPA to enroll into UT Austin under the old top 10% rule.

I then left El Paso for the second time in my live to start my business degree and attended UT Austin for 2.5 years. I met many new people and once again enjoyed the very different central Texas culture. It was a blast ! I personally learned a lot about what life was all about and what was expected as a student. I actually experienced my first taste of racism against Hispanics there, but that’s an entirely different thread. In the end, I started to resent my degree plan as I could not see myself as an Economics desk jockey, so I returned to El Paso once again as a Civil Engineering student by enrolling into the University of Texas at El Paso.

Now at age 20, I realized that I really missed El Paso and especially the food. Family was back (for a while), and everything was great again. My parents moved to San Antonio while I took over the house and I finished my CE degree in less than 4 years at UTEP.

After I graduated, I left El Paso for the third time and moved to Dallas TX. Great place, but not home... Each time a vacation rolled around I spent it where??? EL PASO! I never had a chance to go anywhere new and experience a relaxing vacation. Nevertheless, I quickly moved up the ranks, and in less than 9 months I found a better job in Houston TX that paid roughly 40% more than I was making in Dallas and decided to make the move. Houston is a great town, BIG; but great. I love Houston and really enjoyed the large city atmosphere.

Lo and behold, I meet this beautiful girl . We start dating and guess what?? She is from El Paso! We hit it off real fast and enjoy our relationship. The company I was working for at the time wanted to to start a new office in El Paso, and knowing that I was from El Paso, they offered me an EIT position to start off the new area. The good thing about this is that my girlfriend was itching to move back to El Paso and finish school at UTEP, my home was still on the market, and my cost of living would be very small. I took the opportunity and enjoy my decision to move back.

In all, I love El Paso ... It is my home and in reality, always has been. Sure, it has its problems here and there, and the city runs at a slower pace but wow I will never leave this town again. The water tastes good, the people are nice and actually talk to you, the weather is unbeatable, and every time I want to go on vacation I leave El Paso for a few days and experience other parts of the country. I belong here . Getting married soon too .
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 06-04-2009, 06:12 PM

729 posts, read 2,068,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzman View Post
Good post. Here is my story:

I was born in El Paso and raised here until the age of 6 and had a wonderful childhood growing up with my family. My parents received better job opportunities and we ended up moving to Kansas City Missouri. As you can imagine, we were quite the minority there and had a great time meeting new people, living in a new culture, and traveling around the USA at least 3 times a year. My family and I lived there for 6 years, until the sad news that my grandmother very ill. We realized that we needed to move back to El Paso for her. Her illness destroyed her very slowly and it was an honor to spend the last 2 years of her life with her.

On our return, my sister and I quickly realized that our elementary education from KS was more advanced than other students. For example: by the time I was in 3rd grade I already knew my multiplication tables, proper english grammar, long division, and even reading at a 3rd grade level. When we came back to El Paso, I was enrolled into Tierra Del Sol and very far ahead of the other students. As you could imagine, the first years back were a breeze and I still remember being assigned coloring homework which was amazing to me at the time . Needless to say, school finally caught up by the end of my 5th grade year... go figure. I ended up attending Desert View Middle and finishing up at Hanks High School with a high enough GPA to enroll into UT Austin under the old top 10% rule.

I then left El Paso for the second time in my live to start my business degree and attended UT Austin for 2.5 years. I met many new people and once again enjoyed the very different central Texas culture. It was a blast ! I personally learned a lot about what life was all about and what was expected as a student. I actually experienced my first taste of racism against Hispanics there, but that’s an entirely different thread. In the end, I started to resent my degree plan as I could not see myself as an Economics desk jockey, so I returned to El Paso once again as a Civil Engineering student by enrolling into the University of Texas at El Paso.

Now at age 20, I realized that I really missed El Paso and especially the food. Family was back (for a while), and everything was great again. My parents moved to San Antonio while I took over the house and I finished my CE degree in less than 4 years at UTEP.

After I graduated, I left El Paso for the third time and moved to Dallas TX. Great place, but not home... Each time a vacation rolled around I spent it where??? EL PASO! I never had a chance to go anywhere new and experience a relaxing vacation. Nevertheless, I quickly moved up the ranks, and in less than 9 months I found a better job in Houston TX that paid roughly 40% more than I was making in Dallas and decided to make the move. Houston is a great town, BIG; but great. I love Houston and really enjoyed the large city atmosphere.

Lo and behold, I meet this beautiful girl . We start dating and guess what?? She is from El Paso! We hit it off real fast and enjoy our relationship. The company I was working for at the time wanted to to start a new office in El Paso, and knowing that I was from El Paso, they offered me an EIT position to start off the new area. The good thing about this is that my girlfriend was itching to move back to El Paso and finish school at UTEP, my home was still on the market, and my cost of living would be very small. I took the opportunity and enjoy my decision to move back.

In all, I love El Paso ... It is my home and in reality, always has been. Sure, it has its problems here and there, and the city runs at a slower pace but wow I will never leave this town again. The water tastes good, the people are nice and actually talk to you, the weather is unbeatable, and every time I want to go on vacation I leave El Paso for a few days and experience other parts of the country. I belong here . Getting married soon too .
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Your a boomarang. Stay put in El Paso and apply what you have learned in Central Texas to West Texas. They need you there.

Your very fortunate to make it back home. I have had a hard time getting back there. Mostly cause my better half does not want to go back.

Congrats in everything you have achieved.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:17 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,142,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzman View Post
Lo and behold, I meet this beautiful girl . We start dating and guess what?? She is from El Paso!
Does she have a sister?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:50 PM

730 posts, read 1,897,232 times
Now Ozzman, that is how you express your pride in El Paso. Good on you.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:19 AM

147 posts, read 311,202 times
First of all, El Paso is CLEAN. I have been everywhere in Texas, including Corpus, and prefer El Paso to the rest.

The main problem in El Paso is job growth. Forget low wages. If you want to get big bucks, then move to large metroplex areas and enjoy the traffic congestion and waiting times that come with it. After awhile, bright lights and loud noises create nothing but stress.

I will retire in less than two years and I hope I can find another job here in El Paso until I can apply for Social Security in eight years.

I am meeting college grads that cannot find a teaching job here. No wonder college grads from UTEP leave here.

I am concerned about the explosion resulting from Fort Bliss expansion. It is not fun when traffic becames unbearable.

BTW, if you don't like excellent mexican food, sunshine, and arid desert, don't come back like I did.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgste View Post
First of all, El Paso is CLEAN. I have been everywhere in Texas, including Corpus, and prefer El Paso to the rest.

The main problem in El Paso is job growth. Forget low wages. If you want to get big bucks, then move to large metroplex areas and enjoy the traffic congestion and waiting times that come with it. After awhile, bright lights and loud noises create nothing but stress.

I will retire in less than two years and I hope I can find another job here in El Paso until I can apply for Social Security in eight years.

I am meeting college grads that cannot find a teaching job here. No wonder college grads from UTEP leave here.

I am concerned about the explosion resulting from Fort Bliss expansion. It is not fun when traffic becames unbearable.

BTW, if you don't like excellent mexican food, sunshine, and arid desert, don't come back like I did.
El Paso actually has plenty of jobs but Americans don't necessarily have access to them. Look at the long lines coming over the bridges every morning before 8 am, a great number of people commute to this side because they love the wages here.

You could say that El Paso doesn't have enough jobs for both El Paso and Juarez but there are plenty of jobs to support those long lines coming in every day.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:48 PM

49 posts, read 105,497 times
We left EP because my fiance was layed off. He's a pilot and the aviation industry has taken a dump! I had a great job in EP and LOVED the work that I was doing. I was able to touch so many lives. My co-workers were a second family to me. I'm native to MN so I had no family in EP and knew absolutely no one when I moved there except my fiance. Anyways, I regretted having to leave my job, my friends, and my co-workers. Although I was excited for my new adventure in INDIA! My fiance got a job abroad so that's where the wind has taken us! I miss red sands a lot. We used to frequent that spot every Sunday with our Jeep Wrangler and dirtbikes in tow. Great times! I miss the mountains for hiking as well. I don't think I'll ever be returning to EP but I must say it was a great jumping off point for me. I learned so much from the people and my work. Hopefully our next move will be Anchorage, Alaska! I need snow!

Old 07-27-2009, 03:18 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,142,312 times
It is too bad you are now gone MeeptJeep. I know of a number of MN transplants that are all hardcore Viking fans.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:06 PM

85 posts, read 317,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
I'd like to hear from people who are leaving El Paso, or are thinking of leaving, or who have left El Paso. What reasons did you have for leaving? Where did you go? Do you have any regrets about leaving?
My husband and I left EP in 2008. My husband was a life-long resident, and I gave it a shot for him. I'm not a big fan of EP. Alot of it has to do with the cost of living. It's not affordable and I honestly don't know where people who say it is are living. Another big part is, the job scene in El Paso. It's not that great. I took a 60% wage cut by moving to El Paso from Iowa. My husband came with me to visit Iowa and he fell in love with it. He loves the four seasons, and the general midwest vibe. Our taxes are also vastly cheaper and our wages higher.
The only regrets I have were leaving the friends I'd made there. And leaving Chicos tacos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso