Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:24 PM

271 posts, read 809,696 times

Advertisements

sarellana
You have defined what is wrong with El Paso with your last statement. If the wage issues are not rectified El Paso will become an extension of our sister city instead of becoming what it is capable of being. IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 04:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
sarellana
You have defined what is wrong with El Paso with your last statement. If the wage issues are not rectified El Paso will become an extension of our sister city instead of becoming what it is capable of being. IMHO.
I think it's because we are already and always have been an extension of our "sister city" is why the wages are low. No matter what the wages are here, there are plenty from across the river who would jump at the chance to have those wages.

El Paso has never been a high wage town, just like other pleasant enough places aren't high wage towns. Those who come here from other parts of the USA and like it here will come for something other than money. Those who put money at the top of their list will of course leave.

Look outdoors this weekend -- if weather and sun and a view of the mountain are top on your list, you'll like El Paso. Today I saw all kinds of people out walking, riding bikes, enjoying what this place has to offer. There's something about not living in the rat race of high wage places where everyone compares how much they have with others. Here people tend not to care so much about keeping up with the Joneses and that can be very nice.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:06 AM

You have a very valid point but what does that do for our children when they finish their degree and want to stay here but must leave in order to start living the "American dream"? It just seems as if opportunity is to be found elsewhere but not here. When I lived here in the 80's I made a good wage in manufacturing as well as other folks and we supported our families in comfortable middle class style and opportunity to advance was there for those who chose higher education but that seems unavailable now days or at least harder to come by. I guess that's what I meant by my previous rant.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
You have a very valid point but what does that do for our children when they finish their degree and want to stay here but must leave in order to start living the "American dream"? It just seems as if opportunity is to be found elsewhere but not here. When I lived here in the 80's I made a good wage in manufacturing as well as other folks and we supported our families in comfortable middle class style and opportunity to advance was there for those who chose higher education but that seems unavailable now days or at least harder to come by. I guess that's what I meant by my previous rant.
Manufacturing for the most part was destroyed with NAFTA. Try to get a job in the former manufacturing capital of the world - Michigan - and you'd probably have even less luck than here.

A lot of people who like it here wouldn't claim it's for the super great pay that they live here -- although teachers here make pretty much what teachers make elsewhere, health care personnel do okay.

That's why I think it was better in the past, Levi's and Farah employees had health care benefits, wages that were better than working at a McDonalds. I don't think it was a good thing to give up all the variety of employment we used to have.

Back in the old days we have Mountain Pass aka Old El Paso, good varied agriculture, we had Levis, Farahs, a bunch of boot making companies, we had a variety of plastics shops, not to mention Asarco which everyone hates now but did provide good-paying jobs with benefits for many people, we had locally owned department stores. We had the military too.

But - people have always preferred big money and left to find it in the very large cities. You can always go to New York, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco and make bigger money, but for some of us, we don't want to live that way. The people who will like El Paso and stay like it for what it is. I think there is something here that you don't find in Dallas. The only places that you might find that something, that special quality would be Albuqueque, Tucson, Las Cruces, Alamogordo, a few other places.

I won't leave for money. I could someday leave because the traffic gets too bad, or because I decide I want to be closer to more lakes, or more open space.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:48 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There's something about not living in the rat race of high wage places where everyone compares how much they have with others. Here people tend not to care so much about keeping up with the Joneses and that can be very nice.
Malamute, this is precisely why I don't relish the idea of a Fort Bliss expansion. El Paso is big enough, and IMHO has too much traffic as it is. But, if it weren't for the weather, I think the only people who would live here would be the illegals and the military personel.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:25 PM

So what will El Paso look like 10 years from now? Larger and more modern with a vibrant economy or slowly stagnating from low wages and lack of opportunities? What's your best guess?

Old 02-15-2009, 11:09 PM

40 posts, read 97,064 times
I hope more modern while still maintaining it's charm. I think wages will increase too. With more and more people seizing the educational opportunities in El Paso I can see businesses moving to El Paso. It really only makes sense. The workforce is not only educated but willing to work for less than most major cities. A business might need to pay 30 dollars an hour to operate in LA but it can pay 18-20 an hour in El Paso. I personally think companies that want to still maintain the made in the USA label will look favorably to EP in the coming years.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:47 AM

8 posts, read 21,608 times
Default Ahhh, El Paso....

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I want to be closer to more lakes, or more open space.

El Paso has PLENTY of open space, which is exactly one reason I miss it so much. I never got disoriented in El Paso, I always knew where I was; all I had to do was look at the mountains. In Houston where I now live, forget it. I can't tell apart N, S, E or W because one's view is always obstruced by a tree, tall buildings, or a refinery. How I miss looking off into the distance and watching beautiful sunsets. Here, the farthest "distance" I can see is to my neighbor's backyard.

I miss how the desert earth smells after it rains..... when it rains here in Houston, the only smells around are the "chemical odor du jour". Never does it feel refreshing after the rain.

I've been living in Houston for the past 7 years and I've always felt like a fish out of a fishbowl. You don't know what GHETTO really is until you've seen some neighborhoods here in Houston. El Paso is CLEAN compared to some area neighborhoods. People throw out their heavy trash and let is sit there for weeks, sometimes months, rotting away. In El Paso, you might see an isolated run-down house in a neighborhood. In Houston, there are ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOODS which are run down.

Someone in another thread mentioned that in El Paso it doesn't matter what kind of car/truck you drive. I absolutely agree! If someone drives a nice car in El Paso, its probably because they really like it, and not because it is a "status" symbol. When you go driving around Houston in some neighborhoods every other car is either a Lexus or a Mercedes. One theater in downtown houston has valet parking "exclusively for Lexus customers only" Driving around in your Toyota Camry, you get the feeling you are distinctly out of place. Never have I felt out of place in El Paso. Never!

I've always liked El Paso (even when I was living there) but being away I can now more clearly see and better appreciate why.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingtha View Post

Someone in another thread mentioned that in El Paso it doesn't matter what kind of car/truck you drive. I absolutely agree! If someone drives a nice car in El Paso, its probably because they really like it, and not because it is a "status" symbol. When you go driving around Houston in some neighborhoods every other car is either a Lexus or a Mercedes. One theater in downtown houston has valet parking "exclusively for Lexus customers only" Driving around in your Toyota Camry, you get the feeling you are distinctly out of place. Never have I felt out of place in El Paso. Never!

I've always liked El Paso (even when I was living there) but being away I can now more clearly see and better appreciate why.
That may have been me because I've pointed that out before. What is funny in El Paso is that sometimes wealthy people are driving old beaters. They do as a sort of reverse status symbol. Established physicians for example who could afford a Lexus but will drive an old car they just like. There's no pressure here to dress in the most expensive clothes or drive the best car -- no one cares if you do, but it doesn't impress people one way or the other.

Or -- you can drive in some colonia where the houses are on the humble side and see the most deluxe new truck with all the features parked in the driveway. It's not unusual to see people driving vehicles that would cost more than their home.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:14 PM

91 posts, read 237,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
Having a personal relationship with the Almighty is not a casual, comedic, once-in-awhile thing. Whom else would a person whom is in dire straits turn to? A tree? Throwing some sticks on the ground? Spread out some cards on the table? The Sun/Moon/Stars? The horoscope?.
You have it correct. It is amazing once you form that personal relationship just how filial it becomes. It takes hitting rock bottom for some to realize there is a greater purpose than ourselves. For me, it was quite different. Logic and reasoning led me to the Lord. Imagine that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso