Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:20 AM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times

Advertisements

"Ain't got no"

Double negatives is a remnant of Classical English.

Ain't has its roots in England. It's a development from Old English which survives in the spoken vernacular all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:20 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
One thing comes to mind.....I always correct my kids when they say....."Me and _____ are ................."!!!!

They are to the point were they laugh and say...."I know, I know" and correct themselves
As long as you understand what the other person is saying, then they are communicating effectively.

Saying, "Me and Joe are going to the store" and, "Joe and I are going to the store" both portray the same intent, but are different contextually. The difference has to do with etiquette (hence the term 'proper' English). By placing the other person first, you are indicating that you thinking of them before yourself; in essence, you are not being selfish. It is a mannerism, that is all.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
soooooo"Me and Julio, down by the school yard" is wrong huh

somehow "Julio and I down by the school yard" doesnt have the same ring

Old 05-28-2008, 07:23 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
soooooo"Me and Julio, down by the school yard" is wrong huh

somehow "Julio and I down by the school yard" doesn't have the same ring
Yes. That comes under the classification of 'poetic license'. Presumably, artists know good English but may use poor English for artistic effect. A person should be able to speak English well. The reason that we must be 'taught' is that, left to ourselves we might deteriorate into greater and greater regional dialects.

When I studied French my instructor said there were about 57 dialects in that small country. Some French citizens could not understand the French spoken by other French citizens.

When a person first learns proper pronunciation, the sound feels clumsy and your mouth is not accustomed to having that peculiar sound come out of it. I try to pronounce whatever word it is out load several times, until my mouth will say it in conversation easily. The body forms habits, and if you force it to do the right thing or say things the correct way, it becomes easy.

Most people object to speaking properly because it just feels unnatural.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I notice that many people choose not to pronounce certain "t's": they say 'innernet' instead of inTernet, and 'innerstate' rather than 'inTerstate'.

I have heard this by news broadcasters, media political analysts, 60Minutes, etc. It is just disgusting to hear from these people, who are paid for speaking. It should not be so hard for them.

Larry King usually properly pronounces the first R in libRary, and the R in FebRuary. Cool.
He has standards.
Hmmm. When I grew up, I was taught that the first "r" in "February" was silent, as well as other words, like "arctic", where the first "c" is silent. Ah well. I think according to dictionaries, both February and Feb(r)urary" are accepted, today.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:29 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
"How are you?" "Good." That means morally good, not how one feels.
"I felt badly when..." means one can't feel well with one's fingers; it should be "I felt bad when..." if one is talking about his/her feelings.
Pronouncing the "t" in "often." Or has that changed? So many people pronounce it now!

Old 05-31-2008, 10:56 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Hmmm. When I grew up, I was taught that the first "r" in "February" was silent, as well as other words, like "arctic", where the first "c" is silent. Ah well. I think according to dictionaries, both February and Feb(r)urary" are accepted, today.
Yes. Many things are acceptable, but there is usually a preferred pronunciation, which is generally the first given:

fĕb'rū-ĕr'ē, fĕb'yū

ärk'tĭk, är'tĭk

It is a dumb thing, I will admit, but if some people do, as the commercial states, judge one by one's speech, it might be a good thing to know enough to adjust speech to meet the occasion.

I always believe that, if there is a pronunciation that actually aids in the spelling of the word, it must be a good thing. Now, with spell check, perhaps that becomes less important.

In India, there is often an 'h' that we usually take as silent, but it is considered more proper to pronounce the letter, as in 'Brahman'. Perhaps silly, but people can pigeon-hole a person into some stereotype unfairly if he is ignorant of conventions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education