Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,877,477 times

Advertisements

You could always farm... everyone needs to eat and if they eat less, more food for you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:12 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,175,658 times
The only jobs I've seen here that would be fairly recession proof in today's circumstances are nursing and undertaker. To those I would add TV, movie, and radio entertainment industries (as long as it's a job that can't be done by an illegal with an accent), tort lawyers, and religious clergy. Also the upcoming infrastructure jobs will probably be limited to American citizens.

Practically everything can either lose funding or be done by illegals.

Utilities are going to cut costs to the bone as more and more people become unable to pay bills,

repairs will be done by illegals whose families eat mostly beans and are willing to live 6 to a room,

law enforcement and firefighting are facing reductions as cities go bankrupt,

Obama and Congress are going to slash military jobs (and rightfully so),

people will drink at home more than in bars,

drugs will mostly be made or grown at home,

prostitutes will become so common that they'll be lucky to make enough for a meal,

and even farming will be done either by factory farms using migrant laborers, or much of the food will be grown/raised in backyard gardens.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:17 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,948,167 times
I'd say the best way to stay employed is to be adaptable and open to new opportunities. Jobs are constantly disappearing/new opportunities are appearing and you have to have the ability to 1) accept that the new reality involves changing careers at least 2 times during your lifetime and 2) adapting to new situations. Those who define themselves by a job title are dangerously limiting their earning power.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:19 PM

45,471 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Geriatrics and physical therapy.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:33 PM

149 posts, read 762,880 times
Doctors and nurses will always be needed because there will always be sick people. Maybe also morticians because there will always be dead people.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:44 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,031,329 times
As bale002 said "trading in the capital markets". 2008 was one of my best years since I started in 92'. It's not for everyone and yes it can be stressful but you can limit the risk if you have a good strategy. And I really enjoy working from home.

I also own a small trucking company but I am going to be liquidating that soon and spend all my time trading. Trucking is definatly not reccesion proof and I have been through to many down turns with it. This will be the last one for me.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:16 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,296,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The only jobs I've seen here that would be fairly recession proof in today's circumstances are nursing and undertaker. To those I would add TV, movie, and radio entertainment industries ...
Nah ... entertainment industries are definitely vulnerable. For one thing ... TV and radio relies on ad revenues, which is way down. And people cut back on entertainment during tough times.

I used to work in TV and I got laid off all of the time ... even during good times because shows get cancelled constantly. It's one of the major reasons I decided to go to nursing school.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:21 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,296,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasape View Post
Doctors and nurses will always be needed because there will always be sick people.
There was a time when nurses weren't needed ... there was actually a nursing surplus in the early '90s. It really depends on how much of the population is over age 60.

Now the baby boom generation is retiring so we have a lot more older people who need medical services. That's really what's driving up the demand for nurses and other healthcare personnel.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:16 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,971,478 times
"Companies are cutting jobs by the tens of thousands. State and local governments are penny-pinching, too. So what about Uncle Sam? Tough times for him as well? Not exactly.

In fact the number of federal workers is on the rise."

Pick a field and concentrate on federal government openings... good pay, benefits, retirement, security.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:41 PM

513 posts, read 1,582,403 times
Well, there is no 100% safe jobs. There is no 100% anything. It's just not how this world works. (GM retirees probably thought they got a 100% safe job with 100% safe retirement back when they took the job). That's a premise one must establish before a meaningful discussion can start. There are relatively safe jobs in the economy, but more often or not, that's also the kind of jobs that demand the most out of you in term of intelligence, patience, ability to adapt and sheer luck. My safe job list would include:
1. politicians are safe cuz the public isn't the brightest bulb and they always need somebody to lead them, honest politician or a crook, it doesn't matter. As long as he/she could master the intricacies of politics and isn't too unlucky, he/she would always have the best house to live, best car to drive, best food to eat and best woman to fu*k, no matter how ****ty the economy is, which country you live in (US politician, African politician and North Korean politician all live the same luxurious life style)and how violent the world becomes. And they are also the only crowds who don't need to rely on the survival of the system. (Soviet Union collapsed. Communism ended. But the rulers of the biggest nation of the world are still the same old crowd)

2. Tenured professors, especially professors in engineering disciplines, are pretty solid as long as the system doesn't collapse. They have life-long job security and added income from whatever grant they can get. Also their expertise and connection accumulated (specific to professors in engineering) are often more than enough to land them a pretty high level job in the industry, I personally know quite a few professors take essentially indefinite sabbatical to work in the industry. It's good, it's paid very well, and it has enormous potential, but it also requires Phd, lots of publication, lots of networking&politicking and all the skills a business owners need. Most people simply can't handle it.

3. Doctors, war or peace, poor or rich, people always get sick, they always need doctors. Doctors are also one of few professions that pays well in every country. Doctor's skills also grow in value as holders of that skills grow older and more experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics