Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 12:37 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,003,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Nobody is indispenable in the minimum wage world.
Nobody is indispensable in the entire working world. EVERYONE can be replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 12:38 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,566,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
C'mon, you know how to read I assume?

He said specifically not good enough to attend law school on a scholarship.
Most posters here think all poor are uneducated and useless people but that's wrong.

There are many kids with good/decent education and they are poor as well.

Of course not everyone is going to Harvard or MIT.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:39 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,003,399 times
Quote:
I did not choose to have the cost of law school skyrocket.

There is a huge difference between the educated poor and the uneducated poor; the educated poor do not want to live as a minority among the uneducated poor.
I assume you're talking about yourself, when you reference "educated poor"? Who cares if someone has an education? If they've never used it to get themselves out of poverty, they aren't smart. But have obviously clung to the illusion that they're somehow better than those that never got an education, but are still poor?

Old 03-29-2016, 12:57 PM

35,133 posts, read 31,431,958 times
Quote:
Is that possible for the educated poor?
In general, probably not. If you're extremely poor, you're likely living around people who are extremely uneducated, disabled, or criminal in major cities. In rural areas, more people are poor, so the group of people you're exposed to is more leveled out.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:58 PM

106,942 posts, read 109,218,153 times
Quote:
Nobody is indispenable in the minimum wage world.
that is correct . you can be replaced in the blink of an eye .

Old 03-29-2016, 12:58 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,632,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I assume you're talking about yourself, when you reference "educated poor"? Who cares if someone has an education? If they've never used it to get themselves out of poverty, they aren't smart. But have obviously clung to the illusion that they're somehow better than those that never got an education, but are still poor?
Ya, this reminds of a certain perpetually broke person I know with a masters degree that will tell people any chance she can that she has a masters degree. Never did anything with the expensive degree once out of school. Or for whatever reason she couldn't. Don't know, don't care, but always get the impression she considers herself so much smarter than others by the way she talks to most of us.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:59 PM

106,942 posts, read 109,218,153 times
being smart career wise isn't about a degree . being smart is finding the areas of employment others can't or wont do for themselves .

Old 03-29-2016, 01:00 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,067,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Housing is only a luxury item if you insist on a luxury home. I've seen enough people start at one price range and go up when they don't like what they originally considered to be affordable. I am talking about livable houses being rejected. It is entirely someones business if they decide to do this, but my point is, just because a luxury home or nicer isn't affordable doesn't mean home ownership is out of reach. Sometimes you have to move to find it, but it is somewhere. I would think it would be the same with rent being too high in one place as opposed to another.
Quoted for being correct!

I agree.

No, I don't think it's easy to simply pick up and move to find a lower COL area. It's not a decision to be made lightly or quickly, especially if one has a family to consider. But...it's a reasonable thing to consider.

Just as it's reasonable to suggest that one's preferences cannot always be indulged, and that's not indicative of something being wrong with the world.

People complain about affordability of my current city (LA) and while a lot of the complaints have some merit, there is a significant portion that's really more about people wanting to be indulged. Like wanting champagne on a beer budget when there's plenty of beer for sale in other stores. They refuse to acknowledge that one can buy a decent home in a decent neighborhood because they'd rather complain about being priced out of their preferred area by the evil 1%ers or foreigners or whomever.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,513,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

When the Well Educated Middle Class Joins the Working Poor | BillMoyers.com

The Hypereducated Poor - Debt and Higher Education

Rise of the Educated Poor in the Republic

It is surprising that more than 800,000 working-age adults with post-secondary education are–in fact–poor.
It challenges our common fundamental belief system about the benefits of higher education. Indeed, we are
left to inquire, how could anyone with a post-secondary education be impoverished?

Old 03-29-2016, 01:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,513,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Housing is only a luxury item if you insist on a luxury home. I've seen enough people start at one price range and go up when they don't like what they originally considered to be affordable. I am talking about livable houses being rejected. It is entirely someones business if they decide to do this, but my point is, just because a luxury home or nicer isn't affordable doesn't mean home ownership is out of reach. Sometimes you have to move to find it, but it is somewhere. I would think it would be the same with rent being too high in one place as opposed to another.

I think a large component of the "affordability" problem in housing is government regulations and mandates that drive up the cost of housing.

Jack Kemp knew a lot about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics