Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 12:46 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Those cities are exceptional, true. However, you have mini versions of the housing cost problem across the country. HUD put out a report last year that showed about half of the country's metro areas are experiencing some kind of rent/price escalating spiral.

The other half is not. I'd argue that is the half where there are no jobs, or more accurately, no job growth. In my state, there is one major city that has jobs. The rest of them don't. Seriously, the rest of the state is a jobs wasteland. I know people that have searched for years to find decent jobs in the smaller towns.

Commuting 45-60 minutes out is not a solution to that problem.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 02:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Those cities are exceptional, true. However, you have mini versions of the housing cost problem across the country. HUD put out a report last year that showed about half of the country's metro areas are experiencing some kind of rent/price escalating spiral.

The other half is not. I'd argue that is the half where there are no jobs, or more accurately, no job growth. In my state, there is one major city that has jobs. The rest of them don't. Seriously, the rest of the state is a jobs wasteland. I know people that have searched for years to find decent jobs in the smaller towns.

Commuting 45-60 minutes out is not a solution to that problem.
Yes.... only 1 in 5 new Section 8 Voucher Holders were able to secure a rental in the City of Oakland CA...

I would say half is due to escalating prices and half due to the changes shifting a greater burden to Landlords...

Old 03-27-2016, 07:31 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
The article is correct. Additionally, banks have tremendous exposure to interest rate derivatives, holding short positions, worth roughly 5 times the entire fixed-income market or approximately $500 Trillion.

Interest rates will not go up anytime in the near future, but that doesn't mean prices won't reduce. That depends on economic conditions.
Agreed.

The derivatives market is what really scares a lot of people. The sheer size could be the financial system to it's knees.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:36 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Housing all over this country is still way to expensive for the average American.

The general rule of thumb going back for a 100 years is to only purchase a house that is 2 times your yearly income. There are graphs that match that exact trend until the banking lobbyists with the help of their politicians gave out loans to anyone that could fog a mirror so that they could keep the Toxic Derivatives scam going.

Wages and Income have been stagnate or dropping for the majority of Americans thanks to Globalist Policies so it goes without saying that housing prices should be dropping as well.

That is not happening though because the banks are still keeping many properties off the market and also the door has been thrown wide open to allow wealthy foreigners to come and buy as well.

We need some Pro American politicians in power instead of the sell outs we currently have.

Wage earners being able to afford a house and support a family on one income. Those were the days...

And the elites in power are going to pull out all the stops to prevent outsiders from ever succeeding, as we are seeing right now in both parties...

Old 03-28-2016, 01:11 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
The great divide besides the conservatives and liberals, are urban vs suburban vs rural. In some metropolitan areas, housing is cheaper the further you drive out from the city core. Inner ring suburbs costing more than middle ring suburbs due to gentrification and outer ring suburbs being cheaper than the urban areas. Basically, the liberals live in the urban, high density expensive areas and middle class to poor conservatives live in the suburbs and rural housing.
A lot of that movement is voluntary. People of similar backgrounds and beliefs have clustered in certain areas, and people of like mind move in to be close to people like themselves.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:12 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of that movement is voluntary. People of similar backgrounds and beliefs have clustered in certain areas, and people of like mind move in to be close to people like themselves.
Sort of. In the United States, people segregate along socioeconomic lines. The most affluent cluster together in places that then have the best school systems and the most premium amenities. The less affluent cluster in similar places according to what they can afford. In urban areas, the segregation is along neighborhood lines and the affluent either don't have children or send their children to private schools.

I think the political and religious/social groupings fall out from the socioeconomic ones. Towns full of college educated professional people tend to have a very different worldview than blue collar towns. A neighborhood with public housing projects is going to have a very different worldview than the urban neighborhood around the local university.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sort of. In the United States, people segregate along socioeconomic lines. The most affluent cluster together in places that then have the best school systems and the most premium amenities. The less affluent cluster in similar places according to what they can afford. In urban areas, the segregation is along neighborhood lines and the affluent either don't have children or send their children to private schools.

I think the political and religious/social groupings fall out from the socioeconomic ones. Towns full of college educated professional people tend to have a very different worldview than blue collar towns. A neighborhood with public housing projects is going to have a very different worldview than the urban neighborhood around the local university.

How do class inconsistent Americans segregate? When a person's socio and economic are in conflict, do they segregate socially or economically?

Old 03-28-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Is that possible for the educated poor?

Old 03-29-2016, 11:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How do class inconsistent Americans segregate? When a person's socio and economic are in conflict, do they segregate socially or economically?
In your case, I see no conflict at all. You possess no viable 21st century job skills you're actually willing to apply every day to get yourself out of poverty. That lands you firmly in the "poverty" socioeconomic class. As you've been told endlessly on the C-D message board, you are the only one who can change that. Instead, you insist on playing the victim. Nobody made you be a pre-law washout. You made that poor career decision by yourself. I've never once read anything from you where you have taken any steps at all to make yourself employable at anything beyond low wages. All I ever see is excuses.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In your case, I see no conflict at all. You possess no viable 21st century job skills you're actually willing to apply every day to get yourself out of poverty. That lands you firmly in the "poverty" socioeconomic class. As you've been told endlessly on the C-D message board, you are the only one who can change that. Instead, you insist on playing the victim. Nobody made you be a pre-law washout. You made that poor career decision by yourself. I've never once read anything from you where you have taken any steps at all to make yourself employable at anything beyond low wages. All I ever see is excuses.

I did not choose to have the cost of law school skyrocket.

There is a huge difference between the educated poor and the uneducated poor; the educated poor do not want to live as a minority among the uneducated poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics