Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:58 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,590 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but none really fit.

I'm a part owner of a small animal rescue organization that is in desperate need of funds. We've decided to raise some funds by putting up a table in front of a local grocery store a few weekends this summer in order to sell stuff and ask for donations. The only problem is that we don't know what to sell that will bring in the most money. I've seen tables set up like this by other organizations and they sell things like chocolate bars, dog biscuits or baked goods. I can't imagine that any of it brings in a lot though. Selling animal related stuff may make sense since it's for an animal related cause but not everyone is a pet owner so selling animal stuff would automatically shut out a number of potential customers. Candy bars and baked goods may be good but is that really the kind of stuff people will stop to buy when coming out of a grocery store?
I want to find something that would attract people to stop and buy, that wouldn't cost too much for us to buy and something that we could make a decent profit on. I would really appreciate suggestions for what to sell and other things we can do to bring in the max amount of money on the days we're by the grocery store. What would you buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,744 times
A couple non-specific thoughts.

Check out sites that sell goods to schools or Boy Scouts for some ideas. There's a ton of them out there.

If possible, consider moving your location from the grocery store to in front of a pet store. You now have an audience whom is more in tune with your needs.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:31 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,970 times
Perhaps you can go a different route. Instead of setting up a table you can do some of the following;
-go to stores in your neighborhood (or beyond if you have people who can help) and ask the managers or owners
if you can place a donation jar. The jar should be labeled with your mission statement along with a logo or photo
that would catch someone's eye.
*place jars in stores that sell or provide animal services and products (including animal hospitals).
-contact some schools. Go directly to the school itself and see if there are any teachers who would be willing to
raise awareness for your organization. They in turn can ask their students to help. Kids can do amazing things.
-try contacting and speak to large businesses and companies for donations. Those who donate can be listed
as honorary members. If you have a facebook page you can have thank you section for those who donated.
You can also have a plaque on the wall showing those who donated and supported your cause.
-advertise your mission, what you do, your success stories, stories that would touch others. Facebook is free.
-recruit volunteers.
Good luck

Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 AM

827 posts, read 1,089,560 times
Crack.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:59 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
Krispy Kream donuts was a popular fundraiser when I was in grade school. Pizza sales at events is one boyscouts use frequently.

I would think what you really need is soliciting donations and utilizing social media.

Good luck! I love the cause you're embarking on.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:17 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
cupcakes with a pet theme on them or maybe cute logo tee shirts
maybe even have made up some cute keychains with different pets on them
you also could have raffle gifts to win as a basket with wine and cheese and crackets. A nice plant
food gifts most people like to win prizes and maybe local businesses would donate.

Last edited by maggiekate; 06-04-2013 at 02:30 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 02:31 PM

541 posts, read 1,144,832 times
If its possible bring a well behaved dog!!

I almost never donate money to whoever is sitting in front of the store. We do give to charity but I prefer micro-lenders like Kiva.

BUT, if I could pet the dog, I'd give you $$$$$$

Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
You couldn't do this in front of a store but what about a rummage sale? Put out signs or ads in the paper asking for donations for a rummage sale. There is an organization in the small town where I used to live who would come by after you've had a yard sale in your yard and take everything you didn't want. They saved it all up and would have 2 or 3 yard sales in the fall (they had a nice small building if it got too cold.) and used the money for food baskets for Christmas. We called them a couple times after a yard sale. They were there within 10 minutes of our phone call and, when they were done, all we had left were the tables to fold up.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 PM

777 posts, read 1,871,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
We've decided to raise some funds by putting up a table in front of a local grocery store a few weekends this summer in order to sell stuff and ask for donations.
But has the store also decided to allow you to do this, and depending on the regulations of your locale, have you obtained the necessary permit? Generally you can't just go and set up a fundraising operation in front of a store without express written consent.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Seems to me you could make a great markup on ice cream cones. Just buy a few big tubs of ice cream and a box of cones and start scooping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics