Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,507,922 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the pet related cup cake idea. People like cup cakes, right? It has to be something that draws people's attention and if you decorate and package them nicely I think it would. Ice cream cones may be a great idea too since it's summer. I could really see a lot of families stopping for that.
I also thought about making and selling bandanas for dogs and cats with the town colors (if I can find it) and the Cubs logo since most people around here are Cubs fans and maybe some other stuff. What do you guys think about that, in addition to other stuff?
We're also going to hand out flyers with some info about what we do, what people's donations will go to, and to let people know that we have wonderful cats that need homes and that we're in need of foster homes.

We could definitely bring a well behaved dog but the problem is that we're not really a dog rescue. We're a cat rescue. We do occasionally (very rarely) take in dogs in desperate situations but right now we don't have any dogs and haven't for over a year. Wouldn't it be a bit dishonest for a cat rescue to bring a dog that is not one of our rescues?

To the one who asked about permission to set up the table; yes, we have permission do so. We only need permission from the store and they gave it without a problem.

We do other fundraising stuff too. We have donation jars in a couple of pet stores and vet's offices and unfortunately they bring in very little. It's mostly change and it doesn't even cover a rabies shot.
Since we're so small for now going after corporate donations would probably not be doable. The rescue has only been up and running officially for three years and we're still trying to figure things out.

If anyone in the Chicagoland area would be interested in fostering cats or kittens please let me know. We could desperately need a couple of additional foster homes, especially during kitten season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 09:42 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
I would not sell food. Sell something that can be put into storage if it doesn't sell and be brought out again for the next fund raiser. Have a large price range.

Also, a large sign that says "We need cat litter. Please bring us out a bag." Or canned cat food, or whatever, although most rescues don't want donations of supermarket brands of food.

I'd also use one of those red thermometer used for fund raisers that states a project and shows how much has been donated. Even for small items. Why are you raising funds? Put it on the thermometer: We need 3 new safe kennels, cost, how close we are to the goal.

Small items, inexpensive. Bumper stickers like I love my cat. My cat thinks he is a lion, I love my dog, don't worry if the dog is driving, he has a license.

Then maybe those small cast resin animals. A selection of dogs and cats. Those aren't expensive and many people really like them and they make great gifts.

T-shirts are more difficult because you need so many sizes, but they are possible if they have a cute photo or saying. Maybe just children's sizes, to keep the inventory down

I like the grocery bag idea, but they would have to be cheap since the stores sell them for under a dollar.

Stainless steal pet food bowls and water bowls. You can buy those in bulk on-line.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM

21,161 posts, read 19,753,224 times
Cats and kittens. (Too obvious?)

Coupon/voucher for spaying/neutering. (Wouldn't raise money, but would eliminate/reduce the need to raise money.)

Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,200,380 times
Great ideas so far!

Is your charity tax deductible? make sure you mention that - and post that as well.

can you get donations? Say... a free dog obedience course offered by a local trainer.. someone to donate this and you can raffle it off? Spay/Neutor? a free vet visit, vacination shots, kennel (for when owners need to go out of town).. get donations like that.. Make posters to showcase the prizes..

food.. never a good idea! that is creepy to me (i never buy that stuff as I am paranoid).

I love the idea of the donations.. "We need xyz, please think of us while your shopping" type of thing. Give them a neon colored note card of what you need.. .. keeps it in their mind as they are shopping and as they are checking out.

For the future...
Hold a contest in your area with "local cats having fun" and do calendars, note cards, etc... to sell in the future.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics