Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:22 AM

181 posts, read 305,895 times

Advertisements

I don't like it either but the catch 22 is:

if illegals are hired, then it puts Americans out of work

if illegals are not hired, then they will feed off the entitlement programs

The majority of the illegals head for Texas or California and their state laws only complicates the ability of eradicating them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 10:26 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,557,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallenfranchise View Post
I don't like it either but the catch 22 is:

if illegals are hired, then it puts Americans out of work

if illegals are not hired, then they will feed off the entitlement programs

The majority of the illegals head for Texas or California and their state laws only complicates the ability of eradicating them all.
The second point I am totally with you. It does get to me when they come here demanding entitlements they never earned, specially waving their nation of origin flag. Did they not come here because their own country was not able to take care of them? In other words they bite the hand that feeds them. Take care.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,293,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post

Farming less profitable? Why? Let me give you an example. If minimum wage was not in place competition would drive down prices and the customers would benefit. That is what free market does but once make businesses pay more prices will go up to make up for the extra pay. With this in mind for sure we become less competitive in the world market. Water, I have to read more on that on the areas this is the problem. So far that is not what I have read. I have read articles from farmers not being able to hire enough people to harvest their fields after they were raided and lost all the illegal immigrants to do the work. That I have read. My claim is that those types of jobs can be given to people from other countries that are willing to work and get paid less. We can do that legally by hiring temporary workers. Many of them ARE willing to go back to their contries after the harvest season is over. Many of them do not want to be here in the US permanently. They rather go back home with their families. Why they stay? Because it is difficult to go back and cross the border again. In the past we had programs like that and it worked. Why not now?
The reason farming is less profitable is multisided, but mostly it is the squeeze between NAFTA opening American markets, and at least here in So Cal, the cost of water due to rationing and water purchases by local water companies from the irrigation districts.
There is a difference between a national free market, and one between 1st and a 3rd world countries.
Domestic farmers have a hard time competing with imported food.
But as I said before, agriculture only employs a small percentage of immigrant labor and is used mostly to confuse the immigrant argument.
The bottom line is that labor has the same pressures of supply and demand as any other commodity. When you increase supply, you lower demand.
When you lower demand, you lower wages.
Now that is very profitable for corporations, but it is bad for the United States and the people who make it up.
Between large corporations and big box stores driving out small retail business, the exportation of manufacturing, and the tens of millions of immigrant job seekers undermining wages and benefits, the American worker / small business owner is being decimated. There are currently more than 20 million Americans out of work, and 40+ million on food stamps. All this while corporations are making record profits and continuing to export every American job they can.
This is a battle for survival, and people need to wake up and realize that.
We cannot continue to subsidize corporations hiring immigrant labor with extended unemployment checks and food stamp programs for American workers. All we are getting is farther in debt and closer to insolvency.
In case no one has noticed, it is not working.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,711,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Study: Most new Texas jobs went to immigrants | Campaign 2012 (http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/study-most-new-texas-jobs-went-immigrants - broken link)

According to this article 80 percent of jobs created in Texas since 2007 went to immigrants, with approximately 40% to legal and 40% to illegal.
What are the ramifications of this in light of the current unemployment situation?
Do you think these numbers reflect the amount of jobs going to immigrants in other states as well?
The Governor of Texas seems to support this, as do the majority of elected officials from both parties.
With the cost of unemployment benefits combined with food stamp programs and government subsidized healthcare, putting such a strain on both Federal and State budgets, why is this not a larger issue than it is?
Texas is all about the rich gettin richer while the poor get poorer. Most of the good jobs probably brought people in from out of state who believe in the law of gravity and all that nonsense

Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 PM

130 posts, read 291,833 times
Default You are not correct

. Do you see American walking long distance to get to those jobs? No, not at all.

There are jobs that American in general will not take. As I said before, do your research and see if they are long lines made up of Americans from all over the states applying for jobs to pick tomatoes as I said, take care.[/quote]

Don't believe this and don't propagate this thought...
my rich relatives who are surrounded by the wealthiest communities in the country propagates this nonsense as well...

Anyone who says "jobs that American (sic) in general will not take.."

is not out of work, has not been out of work, does not have loved ones out of work, has not been turned down for a job because they do not speak spanish, has not seen their children go hungry, lost a house, lost hope, had to ask for hand out, or cried and prayed for a job...

I forgive you your ignorance

Old 09-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The reason farming is less profitable is multisided, but mostly it is the squeeze between NAFTA opening American markets, and at least here in So Cal, the cost of water due to rationing and water purchases by local water companies from the irrigation districts.
There is a difference between a national free market, and one between 1st and a 3rd world countries.
Domestic farmers have a hard time competing with imported food.
But as I said before, agriculture only employs a small percentage of immigrant labor and is used mostly to confuse the immigrant argument.
The bottom line is that labor has the same pressures of supply and demand as any other commodity. When you increase supply, you lower demand.
When you lower demand, you lower wages.
Now that is very profitable for corporations, but it is bad for the United States and the people who make it up.
Between large corporations and big box stores driving out small retail business, the exportation of manufacturing, and the tens of millions of immigrant job seekers undermining wages and benefits, the American worker / small business owner is being decimated. There are currently more than 20 million Americans out of work, and 40+ million on food stamps. All this while corporations are making record profits and continuing to export every American job they can.
This is a battle for survival, and people need to wake up and realize that.
We cannot continue to subsidize corporations hiring immigrant labor with extended unemployment checks and food stamp programs for American workers. All we are getting is farther in debt and closer to insolvency.
In case no one has noticed, it is not working.
As far as I am concerned we as Americans got used to a standard of living we do not let go of. We cannot isolate ourselves from the world. We are in competition with other countries yet we do not want to make ourselve more competitive by not controlling wages. You want to go into protectionism? As far as I have seen in history in the long run it hurst more the masses and only helps a few.
I do agree with you regarding subsidies. We need to let all those subsidies go and let them fend for themselves. They will find ways to survive just like our ancestors did it when the nation was new. Take care.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInTheDesert View Post
. Do you see American walking long distance to get to those jobs? No, not at all.

There are jobs that American in general will not take. As I said before, do your research and see if they are long lines made up of Americans from all over the states applying for jobs to pick tomatoes as I said, take care.
Don't believe this and don't propagate this thought...
my rich relatives who are surrounded by the wealthiest communities in the country propagates this nonsense as well...

Anyone who says "jobs that American (sic) in general will not take.."

is not out of work, has not been out of work, does not have loved ones out of work, has not been turned down for a job because they do not speak spanish, has not seen their children go hungry, lost a house, lost hope, had to ask for hand out, or cried and prayed for a job...

I forgive you your ignorance[/quote]
LOL!! The sentiment is mutual. We seem to agree there. Looks like both see each other as ignorant.

However, let us give it a try here. Do you think there are farmers let us say in California that cannot fill jobs because they cannot find Americans to do them? Look it up and whether you or I is ignorant of that fact.
How about checking if there are corporations that have to hire foreigners to come to this country because we do not have enough educated Americans to do some of those jobs? Is that true or false. See how ignorant you or I or maybe both are? I will give you this. Looks like you are nice individual for forgiving me, it touched my heart. I follow your example and forgive you too.
Also, do you think that because you wrote that in red a divine light will come down on me and suddenly make think, "Wow! I never saw that!" and after that statement you all you do is write a statement to pull the heart strings? Did not work with me. Take care.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:12 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,293,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
As far as I am concerned we as Americans got used to a standard of living we do not let go of. We cannot isolate ourselves from the world. We are in competition with other countries yet we do not want to make ourselve more competitive by not controlling wages. You want to go into protectionism? As far as I have seen in history in the long run it hurst more the masses and only helps a few.
I do agree with you regarding subsidies. We need to let all those subsidies go and let them fend for themselves. They will find ways to survive just like our ancestors did it when the nation was new. Take care.
Until just recently, with the implementation of NAFTA and the WTO, we used tariffs to protect the financial interests of our citizens for our entire history since 1776.
The "global economy" is only beneficial for multi national corporations and the wealthy as our current economy shows.
The argument that we need to compete in the world market is idiotic, WE HAVE A TRADE DEFICIT! That means we buy more than we sell.
We are not competing to sell our goods to people in China and India who make $2000 a year, they cannot afford to buy what we make.
Our market is here in the US where people can afford to purchase what we make here. Or at least they used to before we exported their jobs to China and India.
Is everyone blind to the fact that things have done nothing but gotten worse since all these trade agreements were enacted?
If you take an action that causes your economy to go into the toilet, does it not make sense to alter that action?
Let’s make this real simple. Answer one question, has the trade deficit improved or gotten worse since NAFTA?

Old 09-30-2011, 05:37 PM

130 posts, read 291,833 times
Default Have you heard about the free college education Texas is giving illegal immigrants?

Looks like both see each other as ignorant.

However, let us give it a try here. Do you think there are farmers let us say in California that cannot fill jobs because they cannot find Americans to do them? Look it up and whether you or I is ignorant of that fact.
How about checking if there are corporations that have to hire foreigners to come to this country because we do not have enough educated Americans to do some of those jobs? Is that true or false. See how ignorant you or I or maybe both are? I will give you this. Looks like you are nice individual for forgiving me, it touched my heart. I follow your example and forgive you too.
Also, do you think that because you wrote that in red a divine light will come down on me and suddenly make think, "Wow! I never saw that!" and after that statement you all you do is write a statement to pull the heart strings? Did not work with me. Take care.[/quote]

Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,923,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
There was a time when immigrants were a net asset to the US economy--back when the US actually had a shortage of labor. Those days are long gone--and won't come back. Sadly, most of the immigrants who enter the US today find employment because a) the broken US welfare system pays able-bodied Americans to sit on the government dole (and working Americans pay for them in taxes) rather them having to "lower" themselves to do work that the immigrants will do; and b) at the other end of the scale, the broken American education system is not producing people with the educational skills and work ethic to be able to work in many of today's higher end occupations.

The straightforward solution (but apparently highly politically unpalatable) is for the US government to close the borders to all immigration, while simultaneously reforming the welfare and educational systems in a way such that Americans can and will take the jobs currently held by immigrants. That would solve a myriad of fiscal, economic, and social problems in this country--but too many people are busy sucking at the government teat at all levels to make it likely to happen. That's a tragedy because it will ultimately wreck the country, both socially and economically. What is happening now is a symptom of that rot.
bravo!

the numbers are starting to look pretty bad, but i think it is still fixable at this point.

working americans are the solution and have always been the solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics