Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,405,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
LOL...when you expressed displeasure with a companies product I suggested you vote with your money and purchase from a company that better meets your needs. For that i was called an Oligarch and you say I'm twisting YOUR words?

I used to buy a type of wheat bread but their quality slipped so I changed brands, what a crazy concept! I didn't even have to go to a website and complain about corporate whatever.

Instead, you should have written a letter to the company and they would probably send you some coupons for several free ones. I've done this in the past and have generally been pleased with their response.
You wrote that people were complaining that portion sizes were too large. But I never said that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The problem is that the point you try to make is masked by the idiotic statement you make in addition. No one pays any attention to what might be a valid point because you have decided that all Americans are comical and sad because one person posted a concern about shrimp.

Methinks you are the one with the problem here.
Is your post directed at me or someone else?

Last edited by stars99; 06-30-2010 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,553,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Is your post directed at me or someone else?
Sorry we started into this?

Going to need to draw a cartoon map to keep all the cross-talk straight.

Anyway, I assume that TF is directing that at me, as I was mocking the American genre of being upset at getting less of something that is bad for you.

I think you caught all that, and actually from what I follow, you and I are in agreement that fresh brown rice and veggies beat McCorporate-Crap-From-Half-Way-Around-The-World, anyway -- so let the MBAs keep their extra frozen-dried-dyed-mutilated-packaged-chemically-treated shrimp.

I figure they must really need it, if they cannot share.

Here is what I am thinking -- Good for you. Good for me. And let the idiots argue amongst themselves.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:26 AM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
You wrote that people were complaining that portion sizes were too large. But I never said that.
I didn't attribute the comment to you. I'm not calling you a hypocrit at all, just noting that public complaints seem to be coming full circle in that no matter what is sold, someone will have an issue with it being too large or too small and then make odd claims.

So, 1 soup with unsatisfactory shrimp = CORPORATE FOOD RATIONING

Over-react much?

If you see a squirrel on your lawn do you talk about squirrel invasions with hundreds dead?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

Anyway, I assume that TF is directing that at me, as I was mocking the American genre of being upset at getting less of something that is bad for you.

I think you caught all that, and actually from what I follow, you and I are in agreement that fresh brown rice and veggies beat McCorporate-Crap-From-Half-Way-Around-The-World, anyway -- so let the MBAs keep their extra frozen-dried-dyed-mutilated-packaged-chemically-treated shrimp.

Here is what I am thinking -- Good for you. Good for me. And let the idiots argue amongst themselves.
It got a little bit confusing at some point. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,284,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

You must really hate Americans or something... And what, you think Europeans eat any better? LOL!!

Having lived in Europe for 5 years I can safely say, some of the crap they eat over there is far worse than what Americans eat. For example, greasy fish 'n chips wrapped in a newspaper and fried to the max (all over england, very easy to get).

Now as to food rationing... I haven't really seen this, it always seems like my portions I get are way too big.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Its common for companies to reduce portions to met price goals.But it is ration in the common definition at all. If it happens agin then I sugest you look else where. By the wat shrip and most seafood si goig to cost mre as suply shrinks from te spill from closed areas.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm not calling you a hypocrit at all, just noting that public complaints seem to be coming full circle in that no matter what is sold, someone will have an issue with it being too large or too small and then make odd claims.
I don't care about complaints other people may or may not have made that I'm not aware of, I care about mine.

In this country we have the right to post online and name names of a company tries to stint the consumer, in order to warn others, and organize boycotts if necessary.

Last edited by stars99; 06-30-2010 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 AM

576 posts, read 994,919 times
I agree with the theme of the original post though. Look at ice cream. The box is smaller than it used to be.

Even toiletries. The tp roll is now not as wide as it used to be and if you want what is a normal roll of tp now you have to buy what is classified as a jumbo roll. What used to be a normal size roll, now is a jumbo roll, at xtra cost mind you.

Paper towels, same thing. Used to be a normal average size roll of paper towels, now one has to buy what's called a jumbo size.

Soap, bar soap. What's with the concave soap these days? Used to get a perfectly square'd off rectangle of soap. Now they're concave in the middle. But has the price reduced? Nope.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,058,787 times
Quote:
I purchased a Nissin Cup of Noodles today (shrimp) and for the first time ever there was only one shrimp in the cup. There are usually at least a dozen shrimp. Clearly they are doing this to skimp on costs and deliberately cheat the consumer. I know this may not seem like the biggest deal for a cup of soup that costs less than $2, but I have heard this happening with other products.

The purpose of this thread is for people to list any other instances (products) where they have firsthand knowledge of this occurring. And also to see if there's any way we can fight back as consumers.
This is my issue with your complaint. You bought ONE cup of noodles and for the FIRST time you found only one shrimp, yet you jump to the conclusion that the company is deliberately skimping. Doesn't that strike you as a bit of a leap? Maybe their machinery malfunctioned.

You have way too little information to make any assumptions. Come back when you've eaten your way through a hundred or more cups, all from different batches, and then your complaint MIGHT have some merit. Until then, you have nothin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics