Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:12 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,553,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not if you actually think about it.
C'mon -- It is kind of funny -- you whining about whiny threads?

And your advice about if you do not like it don't "buy" (or read, or whatever) it?

its funny, trust me on this one.

I know! -- We can start a poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 04:01 PM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
C'mon -- It is kind of funny -- you whining about whiny threads?

And your advice about if you do not like it don't "buy" (or read, or whatever) it?

its funny, trust me on this one.

I know! -- We can start a poll.
Wasn't your advice to buy different foods and my advice was if you don't like the product being offered by one group to buy something else? Hmmmm....ok...you are right this is getting funny.

If you think that pointing out that people blame corporations for making portions too large and making us obese, then they blame them for shrinking the portions and engaging in "food rationing".....is whining then fine. I think its

Here lies personal responsibility. RIP.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:49 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,281,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Well, one solution is to go back to the basics. For example, if I scoop a pound of lentils from a bulk container into a bag, I know what I'm getting, and I know the quantity. Lentils, dried beans, split peas, oats... lots of simple and filling foods that many overlook nowadays in favor of packaged or prepared products.
For lunch I usually will have raw oatmeal (the "10 minute" kind) and unsalted peanuts, plus some type of vegetable, often just raw broccoli. Wash it down with tap water. I know that sounds crazy, but look at the advantages:

1. very inexpensive
2. quite healthy -- fiber, low on the glycemic index, no artificial ingredients
3. about 500 calories, about right for work lunch
4. quick to make
5. quick to eat/no preparation time needed

Old 06-29-2010, 06:40 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,058,787 times
One cup of noodles is hardly an adequate sample. Could just be poor quality control.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:21 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,404,753 times
Quote:

So, if you don't like the product....buy something else.
If they keep the product the same and raise prices then I'd have to read whiney threads about how the corporations and fat cats are "gouging" us. Sigh.
spoken like a true oligarch

Old 06-30-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
spoken like a true oligarch
That doesn't even make sense, I find that comment suggestive of the idiocracy.

When a company offers large portion sizes we complain....so perhaps we should buy from companies that offer smaller portion sizes? No wait, THOSE companies are engaged in "Food Rationing". So basically, lack of personal responsibility in making decisions upon where to secure your food sources.
Heck, why not buy locally? Have a garden? I do these things.

Go google portion sizes and you will find tons and tons of articles. This was a very hot topic about 3-4 years ago. Now that they are shrinking, we are apparently upset.

Portion Sizes Growing Out of Control - Brief Article | USA Today (Society for the Advancement of Education) | Find Articles at BNET

The Weigh We Were: American Portion Sizes vs. anywhere else

Old 06-30-2010, 08:40 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,404,753 times
Quote:
That doesn't even make sense, I find that comment suggestive of the idiocracy.

When a company offers large portion sizes we complain....so perhaps we should buy from companies that offer smaller portion sizes? No wait, THOSE companies are engaged in "Food Rationing". So basically, lack of personal responsibility in making decisions upon where to secure your food sources.
Heck, why not buy locally? Have a garden? I do these things.

Go google portion sizes and you will find tons and tons of articles. This was a very hot topic about 3-4 years ago. Now that they are shrinking, we are apparently upset.

Portion Sizes Growing Out of Control - Brief Article | USA Today (Society for the Advancement of Education) | Find Articles at BNET

The Weigh We Were: American Portion Sizes vs. anywhere else

Where did I complain about large portions? Please don't twist my words.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,727,330 times
Quote:
Do you even know what I'm talking about? These are tiny freeze dried shrimp that have been in the Nissin product for months as it sits on a shelf. They are not "oiled".
The problem is that the point you try to make is masked by the idiotic statement you make in addition. No one pays any attention to what might be a valid point because you have decided that all Americans are comical and sad because one person posted a concern about shrimp.

Methinks you are the one with the problem here.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,058,787 times
I still think it's poor quality control. Come back when you have a larger sample population.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Where did I complain about large portions? Please don't twist my words.
LOL...when you expressed displeasure with a companies product I suggested you vote with your money and purchase from a company that better meets your needs. For that i was called an Oligarch and you say I'm twisting YOUR words?

I used to buy a type of wheat bread but their quality slipped so I changed brands, what a crazy concept! I didn't even have to go to a website and complain about corporate whatever.

Instead, you should have written a letter to the company and they would probably send you some coupons for several free ones. I've done this in the past and have generally been pleased with their response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics