Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 4,903 times

Advertisements

I've heard of community owned small business why not community owned corporations and factories? I keep hearing about how corporate America doesn't care about it's employees and how they need to stop outscoring and hire more America's and what not. Why don't communities start their own corporations and hire with in the community and split the profits among all the employees? We could even outsource the hard labor or use automated manufacturing to make products and the whole community would benefit because everyone would own a part of the company. We could have communality owed companies all over America and we'd all buy from each other and be in control of our own lives and employment. What do you guys think?

Last edited by kaniboo; 06-27-2012 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 03:06 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,318,099 times
It's already done. You don't hear much about it because it is usually pretty small-scale. If a business has the potential to get big enough for anyone to notice on a national level someone will have already started it in the private sector.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It's already done. You don't hear much about it because it is usually pretty small-scale. If a business has the potential to get big enough for anyone to notice on a national level someone will have already started it in the private sector.
Really? Interesting, looks like I have some reserch to do.

Oh and by the way, I don't want the Government to have anything to do with this. 100% public choice.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:18 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,248,415 times
They are. When an area decides to have a formal local government, they incorporate.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,318,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniboo View Post
Really? Interesting, looks like I have some reserch to do.

Oh and by the way, I don't want the Government to have anything to do with this. 100% public choice.
By "community" I assumed you meant businesses owned by local governments. It sounds like you're actually talking about a cooperative. Those are pretty common.

And frankly, they're not that much different than corporations, the only difference is how the business structure is set up.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
By "community" I assumed you meant businesses owned by local governments. It sounds like you're actually talking about a cooperative. Those are pretty common.

And frankly, they're not that much different than corporations, the only difference is how the business structure is set up.
Thanks, after looking it up I guess I did mean cooperative. Are there any big cooperative companies out there? Like tech companies?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:20 PM

37,536 posts, read 61,578,054 times
One town we lived in [Norwich] bought their local mill and electric company. Converted it to run on natural gas and today has their own 'private' electric and gas company that provides everyone within city limits.

Where we live now, 2 towns over, they [Orono] have a water mill that makes power. It was built to power a commuter rail car between it and another city [Bangor]. The rail ran for decades just fine, until everyone started buying gasoline cars. Commuter rail use declined so the town sold it all to the regional electric company, who dismantled the rail line. Today the town still has the mill in it, but the electric company owns it and makes their profit from it.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,694,573 times
The City of Green Bay, Wisconsin operates a very successful business called "The Pack".

The Pack provides extremely well-paying jobs. Unfortunately, few, if any local residents are qualified for these jobs...

Old 06-29-2012, 07:00 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,954,017 times
With the possible exception of local utilities, cities should not be forming corporations. Taxpayer money should not be put at risk. In the case of a factory, when it shuts down there could be large losses. How about while it is in operation? Should city residents be on the hook for modernization and expansion expenses? If it is a business that could run at a profit, private firms could complain about unfair competition.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:07 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,339,012 times
Cooperative Extension System Offices
What is an electric cooperative?
Cooperatives, United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics