Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:04 AM

268 posts, read 703,872 times

Advertisements

I second that. Going raw has been an amazing transformation in our house for our 2 GSD's. Less shedding, no doggie smell, clean teeth, no more allergy symptoms. We will never buy a bag of kibble again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 09:03 PM

172 posts, read 609,360 times
I've never had a Husky, had a German Shepherd, who we lost last summer to cancer. She was the only GSD I had ever owned and by far the best dog I've ever had. GSD's are very loyal and cen be fiercely protective of their owners. They can be aggressive to outsiders if they perceive a threat to their owner or family members.

GSD's want to be with you all the time. As I mentioned, they are very loyal. They also need room to roam, so a small yard is not ideal and keeping one indoors all the time is definitely not good for the dog. They need some room to roam, but enjoy being indoors at night with their family.

They shed ... a LOT. They need to be brushed every week or so.

My German Shepherd was very aggressive to people who came onto our property, but never -not once- growled or showed her teeth to any member of our family. My kids were little when we got her and they pulled on her ears, hugged and tugged on her, but she never snapped at them - ever, not once. The best dog I've ever had. Looking to get another one soon.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:49 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,978 times
Aww Rebel.. so sweet! Thats how my GSD was when I was a little girl. Im sorry to hear about her passing though.. thats so hard to go through.

Now.. not to change the subject, but... tell me more about this less shedding - raw diet thing! Is there a place you get it from? Or do you make it? (and thanks again for the compliments, all!)

Old 05-15-2010, 10:42 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
Our 6 yo german bred GSD, Myla, never barks at people. She loves strangers. She is not sure about the FedEx truck though. She maxes out at 126 lbs, but normally she is 100 lbs give or take. She is my walking partner. We live in a rural area, and she has the run of the acreage, but she is not a wanderer. Nothing more beautiful than a shepard going from pasture to woodlands, unleashed and running free. Their nose goes into dog heaven! She knows the word "rabbit!"

She is my 4th GSD. Never had a Huskie, but never say never, right?

Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelled View Post
I've never had a Husky, had a German Shepherd, who we lost last summer to cancer. She was the only GSD I had ever owned and by far the best dog I've ever had. GSD's are very loyal and cen be fiercely protective of their owners. They can be aggressive to outsiders if they perceive a threat to their owner or family members.

GSD's want to be with you all the time. As I mentioned, they are very loyal. They also need room to roam, so a small yard is not ideal and keeping one indoors all the time is definitely not good for the dog. They need some room to roam, but enjoy being indoors at night with their family.

They shed ... a LOT. They need to be brushed every week or so.

My German Shepherd was very aggressive to people who came onto our property, but never -not once- growled or showed her teeth to any member of our family. My kids were little when we got her and they pulled on her ears, hugged and tugged on her, but she never snapped at them - ever, not once. The best dog I've ever had. Looking to get another one soon.
I disagree with having a GSD that is aggressive with strangers. I've had 4 of them and not one was aggressive toward strangers, and I wouldn't want them to be. They were Leary of strangers but never aggressive.

They also don't necessarily need room to roam. I had a 100lb male that was living with us in our 40' RV, which we live full time, and he did just fine. I just had to make sure I got him out for walks and playtime. Although out of all of them he was the most laid back.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:06 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
Both breeds are great, have different personalites. Lots of good input here. I think the part that hasn't been addressed is you and your husband. How much time do you plan on spending training and socializing? Because with GSD's that really important. Nothing is better IMHO than a good GSD. But that takes a real committment or you end up with a GSD who is protective without understanding or using their own rules and that's a recipe for disaster - you want someone maimed and lose everything you have? A GSD requires training, socialization and interaction = time and committment.
Huskies - great but yes can be dog aggressive. You have to think of your Yorkie and leaving them alone together.
There are about a bizzllion perfectly good and wonderful Labs and Golden Retrievers and Lab/Golden mixes out there. Many given up because people have tired of them thru no fault of their own. Usually good with people, good with other animals. 2 years old, done with the puppy stuff - its a win win.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:10 PM

268 posts, read 703,872 times
My GSDs have never been aggressive to people, but I do notice a difference in the air when I walk them alone at night without hubby....they are more alert and quick to notice a pedestrian or car coming close. Very protective. My male will not let me answer the door without him, he is adamant, Ive tried! he never barks, but he is huge and is an ominous presence. My dogs do not roam, nor will they stay outside in the yard if their humans arent with them out there ! We exercise them for a long period every single day, and then other than that, they want to be inside by us, laying at our feet.
I buy raw from " Hare Today", google it. I also buy hormone/antibiotic free bison locally, and get Elk etc from local hunters when I can. I cannot say enough about raw feeding, and I assumed it would be gross, messy and expensive. Was I ever wrong ! My mother in law just visited for a week and told me my house has no dog smell at all...well, its the diet ! Their teeth are so white and good looking, and their breath is fresh, it is really an amzing thing. I used to buy the most expensive, holistic kibble, and to me, the dogs just stank, were thirsty all the time, and their teeth were yuck. No need for general anesthesia/teeth cleaning EVER.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:21 PM

553 posts, read 1,271,997 times
I am not sure if anyone suggested this, but how about a Husky-GSD mix? I had one growing up. She was a shelter dog. Misty had all the best qualities of both breeds: independent, smart, and loyal. She was ever the "lady" of the house, yet loved the snow and would bury herself. She loved being outdoors and was also very affectionate. But, she was also a great watch dog. She once scared some Jehovah's Witnesses from even stepping on to our property. When I left for college, she howled and sulked. When my brother would come home to visit from college, he would have to sneak out to go back because she would chase his car!

She lived until the ripe old age of 18. I still miss her to this day. She was an awesome dog and the best of both breeds.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:29 PM

76 posts, read 176,731 times
Wow!!! Great input here. I really like the idea about letting the dogs see how they are around one another. My husband would be the one training the dog. He says, Dakota is your dog this would be my dog. LOL. Right now I am learning and observing from all of you. Thanks so much...

Old 05-17-2010, 07:12 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
I have seen some nice Husky-GSD mixes but when you mix you never quite know WHAT you are going to get.

I think the suggestion of a lab was spot on. Depending on type, they can be laid back or extreme high energy but I have met many labs and very few with temperament issues. Nice dogs. Smart dogs. Just bonehead dogs sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs