Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:03 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Earlier this year we had to have our Border Collie/Spitz mix, Bandit, put down due to his severely declining health. The poor creature was no longer sentiotic---he had cataracts on his eyes, couldn't smell treats, even when they were near to him, and would howl and yelp very frequently. I was openly sobbing when I was given the task of throwing all possessions related to him (toys, bedding, treats, etc.) into the trash as it was like permanently removing a member of our family from our household.

Currently I live with my parents in the suburbs of Scranton, PA, but in 2009 it will be very likely that I'll be living in a new city to pursue greener economic pastures. In 2010 once I'm settled down I'd love to fill the gaping void Bandit has left behind with a new canine to love and adore. I was at a local Barnes & Noble the other day and found a dog picture book up on the bargain racks. I flipped through the pages and fell in love with the photos I saw of Siberian huskies. They're just such beautiful creatures to me.

http://www.dogs-central.com/dogs-puppies/siberian-husky-puppy/images/siberian-husky3.jpg (broken link)
(Image Not Mine; Property of Dogs-Central.Com)

I can think of nothing I'd love to do better right now than to snuggle up with this puppy on my bed, hold him close to me, and let him or her know that someone cares about him or her. With so many stories coming out of my area about animal abuse I want to buck that trend and become a responsible and compassionate pet owner.

Can anyone on this forum who owns (I hate using that term since I don't deem animals to be "property") a Siberian husky please let me know some insider tips about them. I did a search on this forum and have already found out that they have sensitive stomachs, which means that I better prepared for a fussy eater and/or cleaning up vomit in perpetuity. Otherwise are there any pitfalls in selecting one of these over another breed? What is the normal life expectancy? I also read about how two of these dogs supposedly mauled an infant to death last summer in TN. Do they have a violent streak to them?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 10:20 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
It has been my experience that these dogs love to run, so you'd better have a very high fence to prevent it from getting out. My now ex-husband had a Siberian husky, and once when she got out we found her about twenty miles away!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
ScranBarre, my condolences to you for your loss. Bandit was a beautiful boy, and he remains in your heart. I am dreading the decision that I know will me mine to make in the next few years for my own boy, Chance.

You mentioned that a baby was mauled--a horrible tragedy. I've owned a Siberian in the past, and I will say that while they are not violent or vicious, they do tend to have a high prey drive. I feel that this is partially because they are "thinking" dogs that tend to make their own decisions. Remember that their heritage is that of a working dog, living a life that depends on their being aware of their surroundings, and making decisions that could mean life or death for themselves, their fellow team, and their musher. They are not great at obedience competitions (ask me how I know that!!) but a dog that will make you laugh every day (and vacuum gobs of hair every day as well!) Also keep in mind that Huskies are very 'talkative' and will let you know how they are feeling about life vocally. It takes very little to get them to howl along with you

The following is directly from the Siberian Husky Club of America. As a former vet tech, this is a print-out that I kept on hand to give out to folks who were considering a Sibe. They are WONDERFUL dogs, but not for everybody. Remember that that adorable puppy will only look like that for a few weeks!

So...You Want a Siberian Husky

Are you interested in buying a Siberian Husky? Then, you've already heard how marvelous they are. We think you should also be told that they do have their shortcomings, and may not make the ideal pet for everyone who is attracted to them. Siberians are a gregarious lot and need the company of other dogs or of people at all times. If you work all day, or have room for only one dog . . . don't buy a Siberian.

While capable of strong affection for his family, the Siberian Husky is also very friendly with strangers. So, if you want the fierce loyalty of a one-man dog . . . don't buy a Siberian.

The Siberian Husky is not a watch dog, although those ignorant of his true nature may be frightened by his appearance. If you want a dog with aggressive guard-dog instincts . . . don't buy a Siberian.

At least once a year Siberians shed their coats. If you like fur all over the house and in the very air you breathe, then fine. If, however, you value neatness at all times, then . . . don't buy a Siberian.

Siberian Huskies have a natural proclivity for digging holes in backyards. If you take great pride in your landscaping efforts . . . don't buy a Siberian.

Of all the shortcomings to be found in Siberians, the most dangerous to the pet owner is their tremendous desire to RUN. But the very first dash that a puppy makes across the road could be his last run, anywhere. A Siberian, for his own protection, should be kept confined or under control at all times. If you are one of those people who think it is cruel to kennel a dog, or keep him confined in his own backyard . . . don't buy a Siberian.

We just happen to believe that any dog is better off in a proper kennel than running loose all over the countryside. Yes, a kennel dog is missing a lot in life: the chance to be hit by a car; the fun of being dirty, full of burrs, and loaded with worms; the opportunity of being attacked by other dogs; the joy of being sick on garbage infested with disease; the pleasure of being tormented by mean kids; the thrill of being shot in a farmyard; and finally the great comfort of never knowing where he belongs or how to behave. We don't want to see any Siberian become a TRAMP.
If you have read this far, honestly feel that you qualify on all counts, and are still determined to own a Siberian, then we take great pleasure in welcoming you to the fold. Join the rest of us in the smug complacency of knowing that we own the most beautiful, the smartest, the most nearly ideal dog in the world . . . the SIBERIAN HUSKY!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:28 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,005,485 times
Condolences on the loss of your beloved Bandit! We had to put our rough collie to sleep this past summer so I know how difficult it is. (I have three other dogs but I still miss Shane every day!!!)

Every time I've gone to the city animal shelter, there's a husky there. BEAUTIFUL dogs!!!! But I believe they need a lot of exercise and will escape from a yard if it's not secure, hence their presence often at the shelter. They're bred to be working dogs and you can't really train them out of that. If you have the room, time to exercise, and a secure yard, go for it!!!

Old 11-12-2008, 02:04 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Condolences on your beautiful boy Bandit. He was a beautiful dog.

My friend had a huskey and they do love to escape and take off running. He was a great dog but quite a handful and he also suffered major seperation anxiety when left alone.

When I was up in Alaska a few years ago I fell in love with a Huskey puppy that was looking for a home as what is not to love about those cute puppies but I knew they are not a breed that would fit into my life style.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Again, sorry you had to put down Bandit. He looks so sweet.

Our neighbors have a huskey (maybe he's part?) and the dog is lovely (I think my dog is 'in love' with him). However, I feel bad for him because we live in a complex. I don't know if they do much more than walk him a few times a day. Both of his owners are quite young and probably lead very busy lives.

I was reading about Huskies for some reason yesterday (maybe it was on a rescue site?) and yes, they like to run away.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:48 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,471 times
huskies are high energy dogs ...just be ready have battles of the mind w/ a husky. They are sneaky little buggers. They run and get lost because they just keep running and I think they enjoy messing up the house. I could never own one, I'm a aussie/sheltie owner ...my dog runs to me, sibe often run from you =) gorgeous dogs though!

very sorry for your loss btw

Old 11-12-2008, 06:13 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,604 times
Siberians are absolutely gorgeous dogs. There are, of course, exceptions to the general breed characteristics. However, this breed does tend to be vocal and quite challenging to train and keep happy. They were bred as working dogs and require hard physical exercise daily that would be difficult to provide through leash walking alone. They require constant grooming. When they blow their coats--which happens at least once a year--you will have dog hair everywhere. In clumps on the floor and furniture. Floating in the air. This will happen in spite of your best efforts to get ahead of the shedding by using a furminator. They need intellectual stimulation, so if you don't plan on getting another dog and you work all day, this may be a problem for the dog and for you.

There are better breeds for working people. But they sure are pretty.....

Old 11-12-2008, 09:15 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Wow! Thanks, everyone, for the expedient and very helpful responses. Considering my next relocation will more than likely be into an urban environment I may need to hold off on adopting one of these beautiful canines into my home.
Yes, they may be high-energy dogs, and while I, too, might be an avid runner who loves the outdoors it wouldn't be fair to keep a dog meant to frolic, run, and play in a large open area cooped up in a small fenced-in yard (from which he may escape and get hit by a car!)

Then again what are people's opinions on invisible fencing? Is this system humane? I see people in subdivisions all over the place near me who have been getting these electronic fencing systems installed because they don't like to keep their dogs leashed, but in your experiences do your dogs seem to endure any long-lasting psychological or emotional effects from being zapped?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:28 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
The problem with the invisible fence is the dog may see something on the other side and run across it getting shocked as it does then not wanting to get shocked again not come back into the yard.

My sister and her Husband had put one around the pond and waterfall in a corner of their yard and their Bernese Mountain dog wantd to lay in the stream that went from waterfall to the pond so bad tnat she did not mind the shock, The other dog stayed away as the fence will warn them when they start getting too close. So if the reward is good they will cross the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs