Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:32 PM

364 posts, read 526,921 times

Advertisements

I have decieded I would like to add a German Shepard to my fur-kids. I currently have two 14 yr old Labrador Retriver's that are brothers from the same little, a Shih Tzu puppy and (half of the time) a 5 yr old Chow/Neufland mix. ( He is victim of a family divorce.) I just lost my original love, a 14 yr old Cocker Spaniel mix.

Anyways, I have read they are of high intelligence (almost human level) and really need a task in life. Also they are supposed to be very protective and loyal. My current gang is very protective of my family and property. I have a large yard at both my residences. I also run daily.

Will that be enough exercise? What kind of "task" could it possibly get from my household? I want to make he/she very happy!

I would love to hear from anyone who has owned the #3 breed in America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 07:14 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,667,806 times
I owned two, well my step dad did he was a canine officer, and she was a drug dog. Loves work.
My dog was also a GS, but you have to watch out for Hip Dysplasia, really check out the breeder. Ours had to be put down after to surgeries, It was heart breaking. They are very smart and can be over protective. Take it on your runs, that will be helpful and make sure you socialize it very well and get training. They do need stimulation.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
I've had three german shepherds through the years. Yes, they are very intelligent. As such, you have to keep the occupied. I don't mean 27/4, but often. If you don't, they will invent things to do on their own. Not always desireable things either. :-)

I used to walk mine every day, or jog with them. half hour to forty five minutes is plenty for them to be on the move. If you have a fenced yard so they can go out and roll around a bit and bark at the grass growing, so much the better.

I had all three of mine at different times. Like the previous post, hips are a big issue. I never had problems with mine. But my brother also had German Shepherds and he had to have surgeries on two of them. Second on the surgery didn't take so he had to put it down.

Excellent pets.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:56 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,328,480 times
I grew up from birth to age 14 with German Shepherds. Love 'em. Can't get a better dog for children or family environment. They truly are wonderful animals (did I say animals, dogs are people too!!!). Like someone else said the only problem is Hip Dysplasia and it's no joke. I was old enough to watch my last one suffer until we had to put her down when I was 14 (she was only 9). We actually "grew up" together so that made it worse. And no one wanted to put her down because we kept begging them to leave her. I didn't realize how bad she really suffered. It got so my grandmother had to lift the dog up the stairs because she kept dragging herself down and getting stuck. Then she started snapping at my grandfather and that was kind of the end there. She lost her trust because she was vulnerable. I remember sitting on my dad's lap and crying like a baby (and at 14, you didn't sit on your "daddy's" lap LOL). It was sad, I still miss her. However, I do have some wonderful memories. She was a great dog around kids and people in general and she was a massive protector. She wouldn't let anyone near us that she didn't know and she'd even guard my grandparent's huge wooden gate to the yard like I've never seen. She knew if it was us on the other side, but if it was a stranger, she barked and growled...amazing. She also used to let us just lay all over her like a big pillow and put barettes in her hair. Funny story...when I was about 8, I didn't know what a period was or that dogs can get theirs. So I saw blood dripping down her leg one day and chased and tackled her. I got wet cloths and bandaids and cleaned and taped up her whole leg, but the blood kept coming!!! I started crying to my grandmother that she was dying and my grandmother was trying not to laugh while she had to explain "dog periods" to me....how embarassing. Anyway, other than suffering their loss to Hip Dysplasia, there's never a reason not to own a German Shepherd. (ps. on a side note, believe it or not, I know your eyes will pop out of your head, but another great dog to have is a pit bull...he and the mutt--black lab mix-- that I got after my shepherd died, were the other two most gentle dogs I've ever seen near kids. I had a sheltie too but as much as we love him, my friend's mom had to take him because it just wasn't working out with the kids, he was too rough with them, they were too rough with him and for some reason he wouldn't ever let my husband in the house or near me with out going ballistic). So, in essence, they are fantastic pets. That's my story. Good luck!

Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 AM

101 posts, read 315,182 times
Pixieshmoo-

I know how hard it is to loose one you grew up with. I was an only child and got 3 when I was 6. They were my brothers and sisters. Two were lost due to hip dysplasia. I still try to keep their memory alive with pictures, ect.

Thanks everyone for the info. So I am assuming that with my large yard and daily exercise it would be ok! Hopefully he/she could pick up some sort of "task".

Old 02-06-2007, 08:24 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,625,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
I have decieded I would like to add a German Shepard to my fur-kids. I currently have two 14 yr old Labrador Retriver's that are brothers from the same little, a Shih Tzu puppy and (half of the time) a 5 yr old Chow/Neufland mix. ( He is victim of a family divorce.) I just lost my original love, a 14 yr old Cocker Spaniel mix.

Anyways, I have read they are of high intelligence (almost human level) and really need a task in life. Also they are supposed to be very protective and loyal. My current gang is very protective of my family and property. I have a large yard at both my residences. I also run daily.

Will that be enough exercise? What kind of "task" could it possibly get from my household? I want to make he/she very happy!

I would love to hear from anyone who has owned the #3 breed in America!
I have experience with sheppards as well as labs. My experience is pretty much identical with the two breeds. Way too many bad breeders looking to make a quick buck. If your really serious about a sheppard I would look for a reputable broker that deal in dogs from europe. There are breeders in the Czech Republic and Belgium that turn out really great dogs (sheppards that are more flat in the back unlike the prototypical sheppard that is very low in the hind which equals more pressure on the hips). The only problem is the cost. A dog that comes with a guarantee is expensive. $2500.00 and up. If there are any police departments in your area that have a K9 unit try contacting them, (K9 cops love to talk about their dogs and probably would be very helpfull). Ask them if they use any local brokers that deal with european breeders. Many times a broker will bring in a group of dogs for local departments to test for upcomming K9 classes. Often a dog won't pass because of environmental issue. Some dogs that are slated to be patrol dogs just aren't agressive enough and they don't make it. Some just don't show any interest in wanting to search so they won't make it as a explosive or narcotic detection dog. Often times these dogs are the ones that would make great pets. The broker and breeder don't wan't to incur the cost of sending these dogs back overseas and may be willing to offer you a deal. My preference is labs (yellow in color). I think they have the greatest temperment and make great loyal pets. Once again though the breed is overbred and one needs to do their homework to find a reputable breeder. There is an old saying that many dog people believe to be true. A Labrador Retriever will do something to please his master, a German Sheppard will do something to please himself. Anyway good luck in your search.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/exhdo1/Pooch.jpg (broken link)

How can you not love him!

Old 02-06-2007, 10:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
How dog-aggressive are Shepherds?
Are they eager to please their owner/trainer or can they be stubborn?
I've seen how well trained they can be, just wondering how much obedience training it takes.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:48 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,328,480 times
While I was young (teen) the last time I had a German Shepherd and we didn't "train" her other than at home ourselves, she listened very well. She was obedient, loving and a great watchdog. I don't think we ever had to worry about her. She got out one time and started to run because a garbage truck came by, but she turned and came right back to my grandfather. The benefit to training a german shepherd is that they are very, very intelligent dogs. If they can be trusted to be Seeing-Eye Dogs for the blind, I'm going to believe they can pretty much be trusted period.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
We've thought about having Shepherds before.
It's just that they are so smart--I worry that I wouldn't have enough for them to do! We've had mastiffs the last 15 years or so, still have one now, their instincts are very good but they are not Problem Solvers like Shepherds. They have been a good fit for us, being so mellow.
But we will be empty nesters next year and I was thinking that having a German Shepherd would be a good project for me.
I do think it would be wise to be careful about where the Shepherd came from, though. Lot of backyard breeders out there.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:04 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,667,806 times
Shepards are so smart some can be tempermental and stubborn. I love labs, never have any problems with them. but I have found if you live not in the Southwest, the best dog for families besides the lab is a Saint Bernard. Do they love there family!!! and so sweet and so much fun! I love my Cujo. Yes that is his name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs