Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times

Advertisements

My 78 year old Mom is just about at her wits end...

She hand raised her Australian Shepard since day one... he had a congenital problem that thankfully he out-grew... being the runt of the litter, his brothers and sisters dominated when he was born.

Fast forward 11 years... he is the sweetest, great with people/children dog you could want. They go for long daily walks and strangers are always commenting on well behaved and handsome her dog is.

The problem is over the last year, he goes into full panic at the sound of fireworks/shots... to the point the only way to calm him is to take him is to take him into her arms... which she can't do...

He is always calm at the vet and the vet says things will get better now that the 4th of July is over... no such luck. The vet does not believe in drugging animals and we don't know what to do.

Mom lives in Oakland and the 4th of July Celebration last for about 6 weeks... Last week, the Oakland A's game went into extra innings and after midnight the fireworks show started... the poor guy was inconsolable and the noise from the game fireworks rattled the windows.

If he is outside and hears a shot... no matter how faint he bolts and now will climb a 6' high cyclone fence... something he has never done before...

In desperation, I put a hot wire on the top of the fence and he still goes over it...

Should we find another vet... are drugs an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 04:06 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,734 times
have you tried a thunder shirt? my friend's terrier is terrified by thunder, but is alot less crazy scared when she's wearing her thunder shirt.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
have you tried a thunder shirt? my friend's terrier is terrified by thunder, but is alot less crazy scared when she's wearing her thunder shirt.
I've heard of it and asked around... the consensus is it worked well for some and not so much for others.

I might have to revisit or pick one up...

Old 08-20-2012, 04:37 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've heard of it and asked around... the consensus is it worked well for some and not so much for others.

I might have to revisit or pick one up...
Its a fairly inexpensive attempt at a solution. If holding him calms him down, maybe its worth a try.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
What about desensitization?

Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,593,717 times
My parents lived a few miles from Disneyland and they heard fireworks every night and on the 4th it was always worse as the neighbors behind them set off a firework show that was 100% illegal yet they got away with it year after year then there were also the legal fireworks so lots of noise and as the dogs got older they got very stressed by it all. My mom started giving them melatonin and that did take the edge off. So it is another inexpensive thing you can try.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
My parents lived a few miles from Disneyland and they heard fireworks every night and on the 4th it was always worse as the neighbors behind them set off a firework show that was 100% illegal yet they got away with it year after year then there were also the legal fireworks so lots of noise and as the dogs got older they got very stressed by it all. My mom started giving them melatonin and that did take the edge off. So it is another inexpensive thing you can try.
I'm thinking there has to be an age component because fireworks were never a problem the first 8-9 years... I couldn't believe her 11 year old dog could actually climb a cyclone fence till I saw him going over the top...

Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
I would try a different vet, personally. It's more dangerous for him to jump the fence and run off than it is to occasionally be medicated.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:43 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,063,502 times
My dogs get Happy Traveler around the 4th, it helps take the edge off, they are still alert but calmer. If a thundershirt and natural remedies don't help I would look at a different vet who may be more sympathetic to the dog's new issues.

Ark Naturals Happy Traveler - 30 capsules: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

Old 08-29-2012, 11:29 AM

The fireworks have greatly diminished and he is not longer getting out... I'm sure a part of it is due to the hot wire...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs