Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 33,946 times

Advertisements

What ever happened in this situation? Were they able to trap the dog? I'm dying to know the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 12:37 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
If it is truly a Great Pyr, some (I stress "some") of his behaviour has to do with the breed - they're naturally wary of strangers and generally can be seen to be "aloof" dogs.

My experience with the breed is limited, but there is one trait that does seem to run through and that's dislike/fear of confinement. You might find that it requires a leap of faith on your part (ie, that he will return) but I think it sounds as if he's already proved himself on that count with his selection of his sleeping place.

The one we had (also dumped) had went ballistic if you tried to enclose him in any type of "small" space - even if that space was a very, very large outdoor kennel and run. Nope, he wasn't having it and it really did his oversized, handsome head in. I figured it out and simply left the kennel gate open and *bingo* problem solved. At exactly the same time every night, he'd put himself to bed. He spent the days outdoors (his preference) loose on our place with our dogs and once ours were in for the night, he'd mosey up to his kennel and put himself to bed. At exactly the same time every morning, he'd mosey back to the house again. You could set your watch by that dog. Bear, as he was known, went on to live a very happy and full life at a horse farm.

Let us know how you get on.
I was thinking along similar lines.

My uncle had a great pyrenees who tipped the scales at 170 lbs (I'll bet that his skeleton alone would have weighed about 40 or 50 lbs - 70 sounds really skinny for a pyrenees).

The dog became violent and unmanageable after about 3 years with him. He and his wife had rescued the dog as a stray (apparently abandoned) on the side of a highway, had the best of intentions and made him feel very loved. He never underwent any formal training, almost certainly was inadequately exercised and neither my aunt nor uncle had any experience with an extremely dominant and extremely powerful breed. Eventually he decided that it was his house and anyone in it was there by his leave. The dog was destroyed after a severe show of aggression towards my uncle with a few of my younger cousins present. Really, really scary.

My understanding is that GP's modus operandi as a working breed was to be the security element for a flock of sheep. The dog had to be very independent, dominant, unafraid of bodily injury and able to kill wolves. Once the dog was mature, he or she would almost be completely hands-off and would assume "command" of the pasture his or her sheep were occupying - aggressively prosecuting any trespass by strange man or beast threatening the sheep. I certainly commend your efforts, but I'm not sure that this breed is necessarily well suited for home life unless that home is well experienced in the management of very dominant, very powerful dogs. That said, every dog is an individual and this guy may work out for you - just be ready for him.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:14 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
, he or she would almost be completely hands-off and would assume "command" of the pasture his or her sheep were occupying - aggressively prosecuting any trespass by strange man or beast threatening the sheep.
From my own experience and that of a very good friend of mine who has a working Marama (much of a muchness) that's true to a degree.

In my girlfriend's case, this is a full-time working dog. He's a big goofball with her, but it is only with her - she can brush him, he'll roll on his back and be more like a "normal" dog. There are two other people he will allow in whichever field he's in with the animals he's guarding (in this case, alpacas) and who have his permission to put a bowl of food down for him and then, they can leave. My girlfriend did train him to specifically accept these two other people so that someone could feed him if she's out of town. She did get him as a pup and had the foresight to do this because otherwise - NO ONE is getting in that field, neither man nor beast. She went this route (ie, a LGD) after two incidents: one in which an alpaca was beaten by a drunken "youth" and the second after one was poisoned.

I found that with Bear (the Great Pyr) there was some "recovery" time needed - he'd had an awful time and just needed a bit of time before his more instinctive habits/behaviours came out. For him, he just needed peace and quite, a bit of affection (but not all that much), food and rest. LOL - he was probably one of the easiest foster dogs we ever had. As we lived on a small farm, he was in his element. But the instinctive behaviour did come back out though. Some months after I'd rehomed him I was at an event at the horse farm where he lived. He'd been locked away for the event but I went to go have a peek at him. Just as well it was only a peek I wanted too for he'd grown back into himself and was not a dog to be trifled with!

Old 04-27-2010, 02:08 PM

61 posts, read 244,728 times
Any updates from OP

Old 04-30-2010, 08:12 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,183 times
Yes, still curious - what happened here? Updates, please.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:05 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
I sent the OP a DM and she responded. She is making progress and will post what is going on as soon as she can. She has 3 young kids that are keeping her a little bit busy.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:29 AM

45 posts, read 80,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
I sent the OP a DM and she responded. She is making progress and will post what is going on as soon as she can. She has 3 young kids that are keeping her a little bit busy.
Yes, very busy! And now I have a fourth kid, too - the GP. I will paste what I told you in DM for everyone and add some, too.

He has come up to me on his own a few times in the last week. Once I touch him, he MELTS. (I am obviously his person.) But then he gets spooked and runs away. I haven't given him the ace tabs yet as sometimes where he roams to is unpredictable and I wouldn't be able to reach him. I'm just beyond excited he's making so much progress on his own. He has even started sleeping on our doorstep EVERY night and patiently waits for me at his food bowl every morning and evening. When the neighborhood kids return from school, he disappears. But I can count on him being back home by 8 pm.

Whenever he sees my Durango, he runs behind it and "herds" me into the driveway. It's so funny and cute. I laugh and it brings a HUGE smile to my face every time. It amazes me he can tell mine from all the others. (Several of our neighbors have large SUVs.) It was so funny the other night all of us went out and he's used to me always driving the Durango. We pulled in the subdivision and he was in a neighbor's yard nosing. The neighbor's yard is almost 1/4 mile from our house. As soon as he saw the Durango, he fell in behind it in a hard run. Of course we slowed down so he could stay up with us. When we pulled in the driveway, my husband got out and poor "Sam" looked so disappointed! And then when he saw me get out of the passenger side he automatically began acting goofy and happy.

Apparently "Sam" has a pet of his own - a gray tabby kitten. The two are becoming more and more inseparable. So, "Sam" and "Tiger" are a combo. The kitten is extremely tame. I'm guessing he's 6+ mos because he has his "manhood." We are taking "Tiger" to be neutered soon. I don't know that I'll be able to bring him in as he fights very badly with my two older declawed cats, but at least he'll be neutered and hopefully stay close to home.

I have found some of his problems are the neighborhood kids. I have caught several of them throwing rocks and debris at him. So, I'm actively trying to figure out something about that. The parents of the children are unconcerned because he's "just a dog."

I'm actively trying to find a GP rescue that will aid me in leading this boy to a better life, whether it's with me (preferably) or someone else. I want whatever's best for him.

I'll try to post more asap. I'm also trying to get pictures of him on here for everyone to see. I'm pretty proud of him! And in TOTAL disbelief at the progress he's making.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 AM

45 posts, read 80,407 times
PLEASE keep all the info coming that you can in your experiences with GP. I have encountered a few on my husband's family's cattle farm, but nothing like I was taking them in, yk?

All of my training experiences lies with Boxers mainly and these dogs are quite different. This dog is totally out of my element and I need all the help and resources I can get to ensure this goes as well for everyone involved as possible.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:36 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
That's awesome that Sam has warmed up to you. And that's too cute that he has his own kitty too. I wish you luck and hope that you find a home for him. I would have to say my biggest fear besides being hit by a car would be people harming him. Glad you're looking out for him. You're an angel!

Old 04-30-2010, 12:21 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishFamily2010 View Post
This dog is totally out of my element
Don't sell yourself short Missus.

At the end of the day he's a lost soul looking for his home, his safe place. In that regard, he's just like any other lost dog. He's graduated from the school of hard knocks and yet he wants nothing more than a person to love and, obviously, is willing to try again. How just plain canine is that?

Forget his breed for the moment. He was a sad, lonely, scared doggie and now .... well, life is definitely looking up thanks to you.

I think one crucial thing to remember with this chappie is that he might always need to know he's got an escape route. He needs to know he has that option. It's kept him alive. Trust him to make the right choices about this, but he may always just need to know it's there if he needs it.

One little breed specific issue: his coat. I'm not sure where in the country you are, but he'll be shedding his undercoat as it warms up. It needs come out or it will mat... and that's just an added complication you don't need because mats = pain. He may never have been brushed before, so take it slow and start easy in non-threatening places. He might just melt when you try it or he might be uneasy. Let him dictate the pace of progress, but do try to get as much out as you can, when you can. Bear - the Great Pyr we fostered - decided that being brushed was a very pleasurable experience and at the sight of the brush would just flop onto his back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs