Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

Artie had diarrhea -- like water -- on Sunday evening. Yesterday (Monday) morning, he had a solid poop first thing in the morning, but the rest of the day, it was like water. He went many, many, many times. I lost count. Keep in mind that he usually only poops once per day... maybe twice. On one of those diarrhea occasions yesterday, it was just mucus. There was nothing that I could do about going to the vet because of the ice storm and I'd call in the morning (Tuesday).

This morning, I heard him leave the bedroom at 5:15. Thinking that he just wanted a change of atmosphere, I figured that he went into my office (on the futon) or into the living room (on the couch). I got out of bed at about 6. I went into my office -- no Artie. Living room? No Artie. Downstairs guest room bed? Nope, no Artie. I went to the downstairs back door, where I always let him into the yard, and he was sitting in front of the door, staring at it. (I'm guessing he'd been there for 45 minutes, from since I heard him leave the room. I wonder why he didn't nuzzle me to get me up.) I opened the door, he zoomed out, went straight to the back of the yard, and... huge pile of diarrhea.

I called the vet. They suggested a bland diet -- boiled chicken and rice -- as the first solution. I explained that he's very likely grain intolerant, so I didn't want to do that, and any dietary change makes his stomach wonky anyway. She said that after a bland diet, their next course of action would be antibiotics (Flagyl), so she'd ask the doctor to write up the prescription and I could pick it up in about an hour.

1. I went to pick it up. I didn't look at the number of pills but, once home, I noticed that it was only 10. He needs two per day. Is a 5-day course of Flagyl long enough?

2. Since I'm not 100% certain that he's grain intolerant because he's never had clinical tests, I boiled up some Jasmine rice. (I didn't have white rice.) Is Jasmine rice OK to give him, do you think? And do you think that I'm making a huge mistake giving it to him if he is, in fact, grain intolerant?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 01:22 PM

65 posts, read 111,763 times
Trust me it's more than enough. My dogs vet prescribed the same medication (It's written metronidazole on the bottle) and believe me even couple of pills will be enough. My pup gets better after the first pill immediately.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjacky View Post
Trust me it's more than enough. My dogs vet prescribed the same medication (It's written metronidazole on the bottle) and believe me even couple of pills will be enough. My pup gets better after the first pill immediately.
Thank you! You read my mind -- that's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!

Old 12-18-2012, 01:38 PM

65 posts, read 111,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Thank you! You read my mind -- that's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!
you're welcome. hope he feels better as soon as possible.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:30 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,600 times
I hope Artie feels better soon. When Willie was on Flagyl we had to do two 5 day treatments. But then he was a very little puppy at the time. I wonder what got Artie so sick?? I will be thinking of him.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjacky View Post
you're welcome. hope he feels better as soon as possible.
Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
I hope Artie feels better soon. When Willie was on Flagyl we had to do two 5 day treatments. But then he was a very little puppy at the time. I wonder what got Artie so sick?? I will be thinking of him.
Honestly, I have *no* idea what happened. Nothing's changed. Not a thing. It's just so weird.

Thank you for the good wishes.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 PM

One dose in (I had to stick it in a piece of hot dog for him to take it).

As for the rice, I gave it to him. His dinner was a half-order of of kibble (which he left over anyway), a scrambled egg, some Jasmine rice (which, evidently, he loved... gosh, I hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the grain-intolerant butt), and some boiled chicken.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,911 times
I am so sorry to here what a lousy day Artie had! I know how awful it makes me feel to have a bad tummy...and I don' t have to go outside in bad weather. Glad to hear he is doing better. Do you think it might have been a case of nerves over the near debut of his biography?...

Old 12-18-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I am so sorry to here what a lousy day Artie had! I know how awful it makes me feel to have a bad tummy...and I don' t have to go outside in bad weather. Glad to hear he is doing better. Do you think it might have been a case of nerves over the near debut of his biography?...
Bahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never thought of that! That's hilarious!!!

He's lying on the couch, under a blankie, and hasn't gone to the back door (no pun intended) in a few hours, so I'm taking that last part as a sign that he's feeling a bit better.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:57 AM

Update:

Artie hasn't pooped (diarrhea or otherwise) since returning from the vet with the Flagyl yesterday. Hmmmm. Nothing yesterday afternoon, nothing yesterday evening, nothing this morning, and it's now almost 2:00 PM.

I gave him a dose and some rice (grain intolerance be damned!) with his dinner last night.
This morning, I gave him another dose and more rice.

So... either:

1. He's like me and getting the pills (not even taking one!) gets him almost healthy again. Not likely but it happens to me sometimes. Placebos would work VERY well for me. Clearly.
2. One dose of Flagyl did the trick.
3. I totally blocked him up with the rice and he's good and constipated now. Oy.

What do you guys think?

A. Should I give him more rice with his dinner tonight?
B. Once I get a good solid poop out of him, should I stop giving him the Flagyl?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs