Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:08 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,332,919 times

Advertisements

keep giving him the prescribed pills...Flagyl is normally given for 5 days ...maybe his bowels are empty and it takes days to get to where he needs to go again...plus the diet he's on may be not leaving much waste anyway, I'd keep giving him the rice and chicken ...but just to be sure, I'd call the vet anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 12:30 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,476,668 times
I would continue his meds and the rice and chicken diet for a few days at least. Flagyl will help alleviate inflammation as well as acting as an antibiotic. Give his gut time to get back to a normal balance. I wouldn't worry about him not having a bowel movement yet. No doubt he emptied himself out with the diarrhea and will take a bit to get back to his normal routine. My vet gave me some probiotic powder to add to my girl's food to restore her digestive balance....much like the commercial with Jamie Lee Curtis and her yogurt! Keep us posted.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Thanks, ladies.

Yeah, T, I was thinking that I should probably continue on with the Flagyl. It was the rice that was worrying me more than anything, in terms of his grain intolerance AND blocking him up. I also figured that he had emptied himself out pretty good over the last two days. Poor dude... my poopless wonder.

T, I give him a probiotic "treat" every morning, so I'm guessing that means that I'm doing all that I can. He's in good spirits (even better than in his diarrhea days) and I'm sure he's MUCH more comfortable (even if a bit constipated).

Old 12-19-2012, 02:44 PM

809 posts, read 2,189,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
keep giving him the prescribed pills...Flagyl is normally given for 5 days ...maybe his bowels are empty and it takes days to get to where he needs to go again...plus the diet he's on may be not leaving much waste anyway, I'd keep giving him the rice and chicken ...but just to be sure, I'd call the vet anyway
This ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I would continue his meds and the rice and chicken diet for a few days at least. Flagyl will help alleviate inflammation as well as acting as an antibiotic. Give his gut time to get back to a normal balance. I wouldn't worry about him not having a bowel movement yet. No doubt he emptied himself out with the diarrhea and will take a bit to get back to his normal routine. My vet gave me some probiotic powder to add to my girl's food to restore her digestive balance....much like the commercial with Jamie Lee Curtis and her yogurt! Keep us posted.
and this ^

Now my 2 cents. It may not happen...probably won't...don't get all wonky on me BUT some dogs end with an upper GI (translate vomiting) on this medication. My experience, if it's going to happen, it's usually within 3 to 6 days.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
This ^

and this ^

Now my 2 cents. It may not happen...probably won't...don't get all wonky on me BUT some dogs end with an upper GI (translate vomiting) on this medication. My experience, if it's going to happen, it's usually within 3 to 6 days.
Thanks for the confirmation and for the heads-up on the potential puke-fest. While I won't be happy (for him) if he's vomiting, I have no problem cleaning up after him. Just knowing that it's a possibility, before it happens, is helpful though. It means I won't come running back here in a panic that it's now coming out his OTHER end.

Thank you!

Old 12-19-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Thanks for the confirmation and for the heads-up on the potential puke-fest. While I won't be happy (for him) if he's vomiting, I have no problem cleaning up after him. Just knowing that it's a possibility, before it happens, is helpful though. It means I won't come running back here in a panic that it's now coming out his OTHER end.

Thank you!
You're welcome, Dawn. I've mostly seen this with smaller dogs. If he does have a puke-fest, let me know. Need to make sure he stays hydrated, ya know?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
You're welcome, Dawn. I've mostly seen this with smaller dogs. If he does have a puke-fest, let me know. Need to make sure he stays hydrated, ya know?
It wouldn't absolutely shock me if he does have the pukies. He's a sensitive little flower with a sensitive tummy -- all wrapped up in his 37-pound tough-guy body.

I've absolutely been keeping him hydrated. Even before the Flagyl, during his two days of constant diarrhea, every time we'd come inside, I'd lead him to his water bowl and made sure that he drank. (And then I'd clean out his bowl and give him fresh water.)

Old 12-19-2012, 05:09 PM

548 posts, read 1,039,173 times
I am glad he is feeling better even if he isn't pooping yet. I bet he will be back to normal in no time.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
Doesn't it drive you crazy when this happens? Sometimes Lucy will have the runs and I can't for the life of me figure out what she has gotten into. She will go poop in the walk - in shower in the middle of the night which I wish I could train both dogs to do on a regular basis. So easy to clean up messes there. When Lucy gets runny poops I always am afraid I have dropped one of my people pills for my various ailments and she has been poisoned by my carelessness.

I think Artie got upset cause i said he would be played by Brad Pitt. He was hoping George Cloony would get the part! Tell Artie he is a good boy and we are thinking of him here in sunny N.C. (and so glad we don't have snow to contend with).

Old 12-19-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Doesn't it drive you crazy when this happens? Sometimes Lucy will have the runs and I can't for the life of me figure out what she has gotten into. She will go poop in the walk - in shower in the middle of the night which I wish I could train both dogs to do on a regular basis. So easy to clean up messes there. When Lucy gets runny poops I always am afraid I have dropped one of my people pills for my various ailments and she has been poisoned by my carelessness.

I think Artie got upset cause i said he would be played by Brad Pitt. He was hoping George Cloony would get the part! Tell Artie he is a good boy and we are thinking of him here in sunny N.C. (and so glad we don't have snow to contend with).

Hahahaaa.. Daggonit, I've got the hiccups from laughing so hard. Why do you do that to me?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs