Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,116,524 times

Advertisements

In preparation for Artie going totally grain-free (in hopes that it's an intolerance to grain that's giving him soft stools), can anyone recommend any grain-free treats that are (1) yummy and (2) not insanely expensive? His new Wellness Core food is already taking a huge chunk out of the family food budget!

He loves his junk food (his favorite treat is the crappy Milk Bones Original Crunchy nuggets -- the one that looks like a pig in a blanket, with the marrow in the center -- and, coincidentally, is ridiculously cheap). So anything similar to that, of course without grains, would make Artie a happy guy.

Thanks!
Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,313,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
In preparation for Artie going totally grain-free (in hopes that it's an intolerance to grain that's giving him soft stools), can anyone recommend any grain-free treats that are (1) yummy and (2) not insanely expensive? His new Wellness Core food is already taking a huge chunk out of the family food budget!

He loves his junk food (his favorite treat is the crappy Milk Bones Original Crunchy nuggets -- the one that looks like a pig in a blanket, with the marrow in the center -- and, coincidentally, is ridiculously cheap). So anything similar to that, of course without grains, would make Artie a happy guy.

Thanks!
Dawn
Most of the treats PC eats are grain free. One of his favorites is Wellness Pure Rewards in the Venison flavor and they are available at Petco. We also get him freeze dried salmon, where salmon is the only ingredients. Just make sure if you get that, it's made in the US! I made a mistake of buying one that was made in China using US ingredients.

I know EVO makes some grain free treats, but we haven't tried them yet. And if you look up Sojos treats, they are all grain free; we haven't tried those yet either since I can't find a local retailer.

And Porkchop's very favorite, bully sticks. He loves them, but we only get them locally since the ones online last two days an the one at our local store lasts over a month. We also tried Kangaroo and Emu jerky treats, which he loved. They each have only one ingredient each. If you go to www.bestbullysticks.com, you can find tons of bully sticks and other grain free treats.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Most of the treats PC eats are grain free. One of his favorites is Wellness Pure Rewards in the Venison flavor and they are available at Petco. We also get him freeze dried salmon, where salmon is the only ingredients. Just make sure if you get that, it's made in the US! I made a mistake of buying one that was made in China using US ingredients.

I know EVO makes some grain free treats, but we haven't tried them yet. And if you look up Sojos treats, they are all grain free; we haven't tried those yet either since I can't find a local retailer.

And Porkchop's very favorite, bully sticks. He loves them, but we only get them locally since the ones online last two days an the one at our local store lasts over a month. We also tried Kangaroo and Emu jerky treats, which he loved. They each have only one ingredient each. If you go to www.bestbullysticks.com, you can find tons of bully sticks and other grain free treats.
Oh, M, I should have known that YOU would know!!! I should have just e-mailed you directly. (I did send you e-mail the other day; I hope it didn't get auto-directed into your Spam folder or something.)

Since my local store does carry Wellness products, obviously, I'll check those out first. I'll also look into those bully sticks.

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2009, 11:55 AM

337 posts, read 827,875 times
Our vet told us no more treats. He now thinks green beans and broccoli are treats.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. 01 Snake View Post
Our vet told us no more treats. He now thinks green beans and broccoli are treats.
Is that because your dog is grain and/or gluten intolerant?

I was actually thinking, because Artie does love baby carrots and green beans, that maybe I would use those as treats instead of his beloved Milk Bone crunchies.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:05 PM

We gave Porkchop broccoli yesterday for the first time. He had gas all night, and at 3:30 am I awoke to a wet fart sound. Sure enough, he had explosive diarrhea all over our bedroom carpet. It was a very fun night and we will not be giving him broccoli ever again. His poop is back to normal this morning; I know DandJ would probably want to know that!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
We gave Porkchop broccoli yesterday for the first time. He had gas all night, and at 3:30 am I awoke to a wet fart sound. Sure enough, he had explosive diarrhea all over our bedroom carpet. It was a very fun night and we will not be giving him broccoli ever again. His poop is back to normal this morning; I know DandJ would probably want to know that!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I'm literally laughing out loud how well you know my Artie poop issues. But, aside from the fact that I call him Artie Fartie or The Fartman, he's not a farter. I had given him broccoli daily (either raw or steamed) for months -- he loved it, but "kept it to himself." I thought it would promote poop but I didn't even get farts out of him.

Thankfully, PC is fine today. Phew! Close call... and messy.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I'm literally laughing out loud how well you know my Artie poop issues. But, aside from the fact that I call him Artie Fartie or The Fartman, he's not a farter. I had given him broccoli daily (either raw or steamed) for months -- he loved it, but "kept it to himself." I thought it would promote poop but I didn't even get farts out of him.

Thankfully, PC is fine today. Phew! Close call... and messy.
It's actually pretty funny now that I know he's ok today. He looked so embarrassed because he has been housebroken since early December, just before he turned 4 months, and had no in-house accidents since. Poor thing did what he does best, fart, and all that liquid came out. He totally didn't expect that!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
It's actually pretty funny now that I know he's ok today. He looked so embarrassed because he has been housebroken since early December, just before he turned 4 months, and had no in-house accidents since. Poor thing did what he does best, fart, and all that liquid came out. He totally didn't expect that!
Awwwww! He's such a good boy!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:21 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,223,287 times
We feed Innova and EVO treats and our dogs LOVE them. We also give little cut up pieces of chicken, salmon and beef (RAW) for treats. As you can imagine they live those even more.
Raw meat is obvioulsy grain free, and so are the EVO treats and the Innova ones have very little and only high quality, no corn no wheat, just some rice and barley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs