Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
We feed Innova and EVO treats and our dogs LOVE them. We also give little cut up pieces of chicken, salmon and beef (RAW) for treats. As you can imagine they live those even more.
Raw meat is obvioulsy grain free, and so are the EVO treats and the Innova ones have very little and only high quality, no corn no wheat, just some rice and barley.
I'm trying to avoid rice and barley too, but I'll check out the EVO treats when I'm next at the store. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:48 PM

29 posts, read 77,196 times
I give my sensitive tummy dog water-packed sardines as a snack/treat. They stink to high heaven, but she LOVES them and they give her a protein boost. I used to feed them to her outside in the backyard, but cats, that I'd never even seen before, would appear out of nowhere! We serve them inside now, very quickly.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:56 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,150,988 times
Natural Balance do a nice biscuit type treat - it's venison and sweet potato and nothing else. It's very reasonably priced. It'll have LID on it = Limited Ingredients Diet. My "I am allergic to everything under the sun" dog gets those.

Duck breast jerky is a good 'un too - just look where it comes. The "Dogswell" jerky range is good (cage free) - they even do dried lung...

Deer antlers for good healthy chewing/gnawing pleasure - 100% natural and digestible.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:06 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,247,938 times
Shadow has a bunch of food allergies and I order her Ocean Chews (http://www.petextras.com/oceanchews.html - broken link) and Ostrich Tendons Medium (http://www.petextras.com/osteec.html - broken link) and Achille's Tendons (http://www.petextras.com/acten.html - broken link) and Venison Lung (http://www.petextras.com/venisonlung.html - broken link) and Venison Jerkees (http://www.petextras.com/venisonjerkees.html - broken link) and US Antlers - Deer (http://www.petextras.com/pogosusantlers.html - broken link)

I love this little mom & pop company because you can order 1 of something to see if you dog will eat it, they always send freebies with your order, and if you spend $49 you get free shipping.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:11 PM

blue4two -- Terrific! I think Artie's getting enough protein in his Wellness food, but that's a great idea! Thanks! And how funny about the visiting cats!?! LOL!

FiveHorses -- How many times can I thank you in one day, huh? You're a wealth of fabulous information on every single thread! THANKS!

Racelady88 -- They all sound gross to me, but I'm sure Artie would love them! Thanks so much for the links -- I'll definitely check them out.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:59 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,146 times
My allergy-prone, grain intolerant dogs love Merrick Lamb Squares. They break up into small pieces so they go a long way.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
My allergy-prone, grain intolerant dogs love Merrick Lamb Squares. They break up into small pieces so they go a long way.
Hi Leorah,

Thanks! I'll definitely be picking up some of those then. I'm thinking that Artie is grain intolerant and/or allergic to something. What do you feed your dogs at mealtime? (Forgive me if I already asked you that on another thread where I was panicking about Artie's food. It's been such a blur of helpful people.)

Old 03-23-2009, 07:26 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hi Leorah,

Thanks! I'll definitely be picking up some of those then. I'm thinking that Artie is grain intolerant and/or allergic to something. What do you feed your dogs at mealtime? (Forgive me if I already asked you that on another thread where I was panicking about Artie's food. It's been such a blur of helpful people.)
I have two dogs that have food issues. One, a 7 year old epileptic Poodle, gets horrible ear infections and more frequent seizures when he eats a food containing grain. The other is an almost 17 year old who licks, bites, scratches, sniffs and sneezes if he eats a food with wheat or soy. I've tried a number of foods and my dogs do best on Merrick B.G. Wellness was good, too, but they prefer the Merrick.

The Lamb Squares smell terrible, and I think that's why the dogs love them! I used to feed freeze dried tripe for treats, which smells even worse.

I've been following the saga of Artie's poops, so I hope you find a long-term solution for his and your sake! (one of my dogs is named Cooper and my husband used to call me the super-duper-Cooper-pooper scooper, for obvious reasons....)

Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,123,168 times
My dogs love Zuke's Beef or Chicken Filet's (grain free) and Yummy Chummies are excellent too. The lamb lung is a hit also, but causes way too much gas....LOL Since winter put a lb. or two extra on my oldest Boston, we're now using frozen green beans, peas, and fresh fruits like apple. pears and melons as soon as they come into season.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 AM

65 posts, read 492,878 times
question: if the treat says "no wheat" and "no corn", does it mean it's grain-free?
my golden eats any treats that come his way.. I don't even know if he has any "favorites".. but we're also giving him more fruits such as apples and tangerines whenever they're in season..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs