Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 10:13 AM

485 posts, read 1,953,564 times

Advertisements

Feral dogs, as opposed to pets, are a menace.

Back in the 1960's, when a lot of cities were losing population very rapidly, feral dog packs were a danger-the feral dog has little fear of humans, and is usually hungry-they won't eat humans, but they will steal food from them, and bite to get hold of it.

I walked some of the meanest streets of Baltimore, and the dog packs were always a concern-though most of the dogs were part time pets, and inclined to beg for food, rather than attack to get it.

Back then, shepards, Dobermans and big mongrels of any sort were the dogs of the 'hood, the ones the players used to intimidate and to impress.

As the gangsta culture took shape, pit fighting dogs became a status symbol-gambling is a big part of the lifestyle, and dog fights were good for some action.

The dogs were also handy as watchdogs for the dope houses, and bodyguards for the dealers(you can trust a dog).

Soon, the various breeds were loose on the streets, breeding with the local mongrels, and scaring Hell out of all and sundry.

Criminals also began to compete for who had the "baddest'' dog, and so canine psychos were deliberately bred.

But the kennels and home breeders who loved these breeds never selected for aggression-so the usual run of dogs bought from breeders(not pet shops that get animals from puppy mills)are even tempered family pets.

Yes, they will bite intruders who threaten family members-dogs know the difference as a rule, those that don't should be culled.

And dogs should never be allowed to run at large, unsupervised, no matter what breed-they sometimes lose sight of good behavior, and revert to being a wolf pack.

Do I love my doggy woggy?

Hell, yes!

But if she had turned out to be a dangerous mutt(as opposed to the sweet tempered petting junkie she is), I'd have taken her for that last ride to the vet, weeping like a lawn sprinkler all the way.

I've been bitten by dogs, attacked and shot at by people, but I have sense enough to realize that all dogs and all people are not a danger to me.

So be a responsible dog owner, give your companion proper supervision, and for God's sake, SPAY AND NEUTER!!!

It's not bad dogs, it's bad people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 12:25 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
I'm not sure I follow....feral dogs - at least in the Western World - were once pets.

I see feral dogs in my city from time to time, and I don't find them to be a menace. I've never seen them in a pack, only solo.

The 2 dogs sitting with me as I type this both came off the street. We found one when she was a puppy and the other was around 2 years of age. A friend of mine has a street dog as well, that dog did close to 3 years on our city streets and she's now a happy house dog.

I feel bad when I see these dogs and I want to help them.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:22 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,564 times
All of my dogs have been adopted.

One cocker, one dalmatian, two greyhounds and my current Staffordshire.

Sadly in many areas, there are large feral packs-and feral dogs, as opposed to strays, are born wild.

The abandoned or lost pet dog is usually glad to accept human help, after a chance to develop trust.

Feral dogs were never pets-and many will never accept humans as masters.

Beware of them, they are truly dangerous beasts.

Now the dog that rolls on his back, whimpers pitifully, offers a paw, nuzzles and licks-that dog is probably looking for a friend and a home.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:09 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
All of my dogs have been adopted.

One cocker, one dalmatian, two greyhounds and my current Staffordshire.

Sadly in many areas, there are large feral packs-and feral dogs, as opposed to strays, are born wild.

The abandoned or lost pet dog is usually glad to accept human help, after a chance to develop trust.

Feral dogs were never pets-and many will never accept humans as masters.

Beware of them, they are truly dangerous beasts.

Now the dog that rolls on his back, whimpers pitifully, offers a paw, nuzzles and licks-that dog is probably looking for a friend and a home.
A truly feral dog may never have been a pet, but in the Western World, is derived from pet dogs. We don't have Dingos and other true wild dogs in America.

To me, the menace is a loose dog. It doesn't matter whether the dog is a pet or not, a loose dog is a menace. Most of the loose dogs I come across are pets, I'd say 90% or better of the loose dogs I encounter have an owner...usually sitting right there in the front yard while their dog runs out into the street after my dogs .

But I would not write off all street dogs as "beyond help". As I said, I picked up my 2 dogs off the street - not from a rescue group or a shelter. There is nothing in their personality today that would identify them to you as "street dogs", they are as "normal" as a shiny new pup bought from a breeder - they are mentally sound.

This most recent one was most definitely not looking pitiful when we approached her, she was growling and posturing! Most people would not have bothered with her, they would have run the other way, but my husband fears nothing and he approached her and it went from there...I'm glad he did.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:16 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
The only wild / feral dog in Americia are Wolves.....If you have Wolves running in your town then you best report them to Dept of Agurculture in your area!!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:41 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I adopted a dog who had been feral. She and her sister had apparently been abandoned early in puppyhood in the desert. They ended up living under a remote mobile home and the kind people there left food and water outside under the home, but no contact. Apparently both dogs were very difficult to catch, but were finally taken in after a year or so into rescue.
Both were horrendously shy, but not aggressive in any way. A friend of mine adopted one, and it literally took years for the dog to make any progress in dealing with the people in the family, and she still has many fears. (Has to be sedated for any vet care or grooming, hides from strangers, etc.).
I adopted the other gal after she'd been at Best Friends Sanctuary for about three years. I have never seen a dog of her size so good at disappearing, folding up, slinking around, and generally being invisible.
It took months for her to look at me. She wouldn't come into the house unless I picked up her drag leash, and she'd often flatten herself many times on the way to the house.
After some time, she became playful, slept by the bed. She always ate only on the couch, and circled new people for about 15 minutes before coming close to approaching.
When my "top dog" died, she became dominant with the others, and for some reason, selected top dog's brother as a target of very focused, dangerous aggression. I let it go on too long, thinking it was a training problem, but after she punctured his femoral artery and almost killed him, I had to send her back to Best Friends, where she is currently. No aggression towards dogs before or since. It's a mystery.
She had to go back, but I miss her. She was a lovely, elegant, reserved and fascinating dog. I will never understand why she was so focused on hurting Kona.
Her sister continues fine at her home with other dogs and cats, shy with new people, bonded to her family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs