Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:27 PM

836 posts, read 3,382,999 times

Advertisements

I have a 2 year old Great Dane.. ok here goes..

We took him (Gunnar) to the vet 2 weeks ago to be fixed brought him home same day. he had the laser surgery done..So later that night he was laying on his back and I noticed there was blood pouring out of his cut and was all over my floors..(and no we know he didn't mess with it because he was really sick and feeling bad) luckly I got it out of my white carpets..errr but anyways we ran him back in to the after hours emergency vet and well they had to go back in and do emergency surgery because they couldn't stop the bleeding (after the surgery she called me and said that he was bleeding from several different areas and didnt know why..I feel that maybe the first dr did a rush job but duno) so they of course kept him for two days and then we finally brought him back home and all his blood work came back good..(so what went wrong???).. they had him wrapped for 2 days so he couldn't get to it... after we took him back in to get the wrap removed he was doing fine..until the next day he decides he is going to rip his staples out err. Dr said it was ok because he had internal stitches that was keeping it closed. So we muzzled him and the very next day he rips those stitches out errrrr grrrrrr ughhhhhh so we rush him back in to get more staples and as you know by now this has cost us well over 1000 dollars.. so now he only has 3 staples left and has been weeping pus and bleeding a lil at the cut..the cut is closed..(I am taking him back to the dr Monday) We have put diapers on him bandages and pantyhose to keep him from getting to it plus an e-collar and muzzle and he keeps getting to it.. which I am sure this has agitated him something terrible. He is also very bruised from all that stuff.. Oh and Yes I know he is my problem child!! errr

But, My question is.. is there something we can put on it to maybe clean up the pus and blood or possibly heal it so we don't have to go back to the dr?? Or do we just leave it alone and let the doctors deal with it on Monday? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 05:49 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
I wonder if Great Danes get Von Willebrands disease? I wouldn't know what to suggest except maybe to clean it up with hydrogen peroxide and put some ointment on it for infections. Sure hope your boy feels better soon! Von Willebrand's Disease (vWD): A Type of Hemophilia in Dogs

Old 04-30-2010, 05:51 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
I would call your vet, tell him/her what is going on and ask his/her opinion.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:55 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Don't use peroxide. Peroxide kills tissue. Clean with water and put some antibiotic on the wound. Then find an E-collar for him to keep him from that area. I'm not sure why in the world they didn't do that when he started bleeding in the first place. Would have solved the problems in the beginning.

As for why it happened.......... not a clue. My vets have never used laser for a neuter. When they close it they use either dissolving stitches (only one of the vets uses them anymore) or they use glue. I prefer the glue. Have never had a single problem with it.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I would call your vet, tell him/her what is going on and ask his/her opinion.
Yea they know whats going on but never did say whether or not we should put anything on it.. I am starting to NOT like this Vet.. we just moved here in Dec. and this was our first visit with this vet and so far its not looking good for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
I wonder if Great Danes get Von Willebrands disease? I wouldn't know what to suggest except maybe to clean it up with hydrogen peroxide and put some ointment on it for infections. Sure hope your boy feels better soon! Von Willebrand's Disease (vWD): A Type of Hemophilia in Dogs
Thanks but No they did a blood test just for clotting and it came back good.. and during both surgeries they said there was no issues with him clotting.. he was just bleeding from several different areas.. we are wondering if it has something to do with the laser..maybe something happened we don't know about but of course they won't ever say.

This has been very frustrating for us and my boy. We never had these problems with our other danes.. and we have 3 others they were fixed and did fine.. healed up with a few days. No issues like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Don't use peroxide. Peroxide kills tissue. Clean with water and put some antibiotic on the wound. Then find an E-collar for him to keep him from that area. I'm not sure why in the world they didn't do that when he started bleeding in the first place. Would have solved the problems in the beginning.

As for why it happened.......... not a clue. My vets have never used laser for a neuter. When they close it they use either dissolving stitches (only one of the vets uses them anymore) or they use glue. I prefer the glue. Have never had a single problem with it.
lol ya didnt read the part where we put the ecollar on him with muzzle and he is still getting to the area..
Yea we have been told not to try the peroxide.. so not gonna do that.. Just need something on it to clean it up..

Old 04-30-2010, 06:28 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
[quote=wolfeyes;13980932]

lol ya didnt read the part where we put the ecollar on him with muzzle and he is still getting to the area..

It sounds like your Dane is like my silken windhound. The boy is a doggie pretzel. When he got fixed he had an E-collar, problem was he has a long thin body and could bend and stick his rear end inside the E collar even when in a crate he was able to do that. He too got some of the outside staples off and it became rather red and infected looking . I am a huge fan of a product called Real willards Water so sprayed that on and the redness cleared right up. I have used it on infections on my dogs, friends dogs, especially great with hot spots on dogs as it dries them right up and even used it myself on cuts or and when I got pink eye and it has always cleared them up fast. It is totally non toxic as we even drink it mixed with water and the dogs will choose water that has it mixed in over plain water. I am never without some as it has so many uses.

As for pretzel dog my vet just laughed and agreed the dog is a doggie pretzel as he can bend that body just about any way he wants!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:37 PM

YUp Thats our boy.. a doggie pretzel. Can turn and bend every which way even with the ecollar.. he has driven us crazy..lol
I am taking him to the vet in the morning instead of waiting til Monday.. err didnt know the vet was opened on a Sat.. so we will take him in and get him some more pain meds and let them clean it up. Ill keep ya updated on my brat.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Oh, I am so sorry that you have this vet! It is definitely time to start looking for a new one.
I would follow the advice of Mrs1885. I don't know who started the idea that peroxide is good on animal wounds b/c it is not. Not to mention, it burns.
I would keep the wound clean (flushed out with water) and use an antibiotic ointment. You can even run cold water (from a hose) over the wound for 10 mins, 3x a day, which will reduce the swelling and heat and will make sure that the wound is being flushed properly. It will probably continue to weep, so flushing it out and keeping a thin layer of ointment on it will be very important.
I assume that he is already on antibiotics. If he isn't, he should be.
And, of course, keep a collar on him. If he is still getting at it, I would try to find some tea tree/lavendar oil to put around (but not on) the wound, as the pungent smell may be able to deter him from licking the area. Just make sure that you don't get the oil in the wound.
And I would find a new vet a.s.a.p and take him in on Mon. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2010, 05:48 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
/I don't know who started the idea that peroxide is good on animal wounds b/c it is not. Not to mention, it burns.
Sorry, that would be me. I had no idea, or else I would not have suggested it.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:15 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,945 times
I agree that the dog needs to be on an oral antibiotic, the infection (pus) was probably due to nonsterile technique. I would take the dog to a different vet for follow up. If you could spend a little more time just sitting with Gunner while he is in this post op phase, you might be able to stop his messing with his wound. My dog had a lick granuloma on his paw and I had to spend most of the day with him just to stop him from licking.
I would tell him no and then give him a bone or a toy to divert his attention to that for a little bit. It wasn't too long before he didn't lick anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs