Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:48 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,360 times

Advertisements

I'm a sucker for my begging dog, so I usually feed him bits of whatever I'm eating (generally pea sized or smaller). I know some of you will crucify me for doing this, but I've read of some on this thread who ONLY feed their dogs human food.

My question is: What foods can you ABSOLUTELY not feed a dog? I know onions is one of them. I found that out the hard way, but, in my defense, he got ahold of a LARGE amount of onion. I doubt a pea sized piece would have hurt him.

Also, if you could list odd things you DO feed your dog--for example, a whole egg. I had no idea dogs could eat whole eggs, let alone raw!

Can dogs pretty much eat ANYTHING we eat, just in tiny amounts? I hear chocolate is toxic to dogs, but I spent new years eve at a friend's house, and they let their dog lick clean an empty bowl of chocolate ice cream And they've been letting her do it for 10 years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 12:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Grapes/raisins are bad. My dogs love a raw carrot and they get 1 per day. Here is a longer list of toxic foods:
http://petcare.suite101.com/article....foods_for_dogs

Old 01-02-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Grapes/raisins are bad. My dogs love a raw carrot and they get 1 per day. Here is a longer list of toxic foods:
Toxic Foods for Dogs: Learn What Foods are Poisonous to a Dog
I've heard about grapes. Are they toxic, even just one?

Old 01-02-2010, 12:56 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,802 times
No grapes!

My vet told me Buster needed to go on a diet a bit ago and to mix canned green beans into his food. After that, I did some research on what dogs can and cannot eat when it comes to human food.

Grapes will kill your dog, no raisins either. They're toxic just like chocolate, but I think more toxic. Also toxic are rhubarb and tomato plants however the actual tomato is fine (the fruit), and mushrooms. Also no corn as I'm sure you know

Carrots, green beans, apples (be sure to remove the seeds and peel them), broccoli, peas, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, sweet potatoes, berries (blue, rasp, straw), orange and pears are all ok to feed your dog.

Hope that helps! I would stay away from meats and fast food obviously. Anything like fries (which Buster loves) are probably not great for them

Old 01-02-2010, 12:56 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
yes grapes are toxic my dog used to steal them from my parrot .

Old 01-02-2010, 12:59 PM

I guess I should rephrase my question: Are there any foods you should never feed your dog, even once?

In the comments section of that link that SouthernBelleInUtah posted, a lot of the posters said they used to feed their dogs the foods on the list, but will stop now. Obviously the foods won't kill the dog if they eat them once or twice, but over time they can be toxic.

I don't think my dog is going to die if I throw him a cherry tomato. I'm not saying I'd do it just to spite, but...

Anyone get what I'm trying to say here?

Old 01-02-2010, 01:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Yeash, I have had dogs that got the bad grapes when I rinsed the bunch. But they were all 80-130 lbs and Beesley is much smaller! They got maybe 3 or 4 each at a time, I didn't buy grapes every week either. Hard to judge what's an OK bit and what's not, so I don't give them the grapes any more.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:09 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I guess I should rephrase my question: Are there any foods you should never feed your dog, even once?

In the comments section of that link that SouthernBelleInUtah posted, a lot of the posters said they used to feed their dogs the foods on the list, but will stop now. Obviously the foods won't kill the dog if they eat them once or twice, but over time they can be toxic.

I don't think my dog is going to die if I throw him a cherry tomato. I'm not saying I'd do it just to spite, but...

Anyone get what I'm trying to say here?
I understand. I feed our dogs what we eat. Is it right? I am not sure. I really am not going to worry about a grape when the dog goes out and eats deer poo. If I see it I tell them "no". But, they are dogs.

They also have free choice pedigree dry and a big can of pedigree at night. They generally do not eat it.

Last night they had steak and mashed potatoes with corn. No bones ever.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:27 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,667 times
I too have heard Chocolate can be deadly!

Old 01-02-2010, 01:40 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,225 times
corn is big on the allergy list for dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs