Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:09 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,950,199 times

Advertisements

That list from Parade had some stuff that totally contraindicates what my vet told me. The following items are acceptable according to her: ham/bacon/sausage (ocassionally since it contains sodium and nitrates), liver/organ meats (preferably raw), bones (RAW), milk, cheese (not too much, it contains sodium), fat (ocassioanally if it's cooked, in moderation as long as it's raw), potatoes (peeled and cooked), eggs (ocassionally preferably raw) and fish (as long as it's raw). She said that research was inconclusive about avocado, so feed it if the dog likes it but NOT the peel or stone (the toxins are concentrated in those, not the flesh).

WRT the other things like grapes and chocolate, etc. She said if the dog happens to get a little of something (because most dogs will steal and eat anything!) it's probably not going to be in a sufficient amount or frequency to cause permanent damage... but you should never feed it to them and should try to limit their access to it. Of course, if your dog digs up your garden and eats 10 lbs of raw potatoes or your whole onion patch, or raids your pantry and eats a whole box of baking chocolate, it's likely that there would be some immediate illness and a very high probability of some lasting damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 37,439 times
They say chocolate is bad for dogs but i know that grapes are a big no no

Old 08-28-2010, 06:34 PM

51 posts, read 77,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
corn is big on the allergy list for dogs!
I let my dog eat

Old 09-08-2012, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,141 times
Hi Ladies!!! My question is: Are dogs allergic to vanilla yogurt?
Thank you,
Billie Mae

Old 09-08-2012, 11:36 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
most dogs do fine with PLAIN unsweetend yogurt, but vanilla yogurt is so chocked full of sweetners and flavorigs and chemicals that yes its quite a common problem.

no more vanilla yogurt for them, if you want to give them yogurt go with 100% natural, live PLAIN AND UNSWEETEND.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,967 times
Default Remember what is outside is as risky as whats in your fridge.

One thing everyone should keep in mind is the danger of Oleander and Aloe Vera. Not many people know about the Aloe, but it is highly toxic, as is the Oleander. My buddies horse "Ace" passed away from only one leaf. Imagine what can happen to a pup. As far as the Aloe goes, I have cleared it out of my yard. Bull dogs (As well as many other breeds) tend to have a thing for tropical's and like to remove spikes from plants and things like that. Don't find out the hard way. Our little buddies count on us to know what they don't.
[url=http://www.entirelypets.com/toxicfoods.html]Toxic Foods and Plants for Dogs[/url]

Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
corn is big on the allergy list for dogs!
I am very glad that I read this I didn't know about grapes being toxic until earlier this year, now I will make sure they don't get corn.
I need to work on giving the dogs less human food. My boyfriends dog was so well behaved until I entered the picture now his dog eats some human food, as well as canned food. His dog is very happy, unfortunately by boyfriend is not as happy as his dog in regards to another begging face in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs