Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:05 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,953,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Our boy is primarily on raw. Since for 2 weekends straight he is to be with a pet sitter, we put him on kibble to make her life easier. He projectile vomited 3 times so far because he cannot handle the preservatives they put in that stuff. And we have Orijen, one of the best out there, yet it is still processed in order to be able to sit on the shelf for years. I feel so bad for him, because he should not be punished for being hungry and eating!
When we had to leave our cat, Odin, with a sitter we made all his food in advance and froze it... he absolutely couldn't be given kibble since he was diabetic with renal complications. Thawing out a jar wasn't that much more difficult than scooping out some kibble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:19 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,953,485 times
I agree, there is a lot of misinformation about food and, particularly, bones.

You should *never* feed an animal COOKED bones of any kind, because cooking changes the structure and makes them brittle. The splinters can then perforate their gums, esophagus and intestines, as well as cause blockages.

However, RAW bones of any kind are completely digestible and don't form splinters when they are cracked. The biggest problem with chicken (any poultry) bones and dogs is that they tend to be small and the dog can swallow them whole and they could get lodged in its throat.

This is a problem with anything small, not just chicken bones. If the dog chews and munches, not a problem... if the dog is a gulper, probably best to stay away from chicken bones and anything small! Your dog can choke on an unchewed carrot just as easy as an unchewed raw chicken femur.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:30 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,562,680 times
Some friends of ours bought a place with plenty of grape vines. That's one of the places their dog snacks. If they can't find him, he'll be out eating grapes he pulled off the vines.

I helped some people with a morning paper route for about 10 years. She kept a bag of the miniature Tootsie Rolls on the console for the dogs around town. People thought the Tootsie Rolls worked good because the dogs didn't wake them up barking at the car delivering papers any more. But the dogs knew the sound of that car and were sitting along the driveway waiting for them. Never heard of one dying from the candy.

People say the chicken bones (cooked or raw but more were cooked) were bad for dogs? Had a dog that ate a lot of chicken bones and he did die...at the age of 16!

Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,562,680 times
Missing mentioned dogs being gulpers made me think of a black lab I used to have. The cans of dog food were still the type of cans that you could open at either end, not like now with the rounded bottom. When I fed him I would open both ends, then push the food out like a huge syringe. A lot less messy. Funny thing is that lab would catch it before it hit the ground and gulp it right down. Then he would look up at me like "I thought you were bringing me something to eat!" lol I used to go down to the local grocer at night and the workers would let me get some of the big bones out of the barrel in the meat department. It's fun being awaken at 2 AM by the sounds of a dog's teeth scraping that big bone outside your bedroom window! lol

Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,017 times
Default bad food

Do not feed them chocolate, onions, garlic, Macadamia Nuts, fatty foods,
yeast dough (Unbaked Bread), Baking Powder and Baking Soda, alcohol,
seeds from apples, grapes or raisins. The artificial sweetener xylatol is Very deadly.

source:[URL="http://www.gingersmaltese.com/"][/URL] [URL]http://www.gingersmaltese.com/[/URL]

Old 02-23-2010, 08:12 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,353,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Grapes/raisins are bad. My dogs love a raw carrot and they get 1 per day. Here is a longer list of toxic foods:
Toxic Foods for Dogs: Learn What Foods are Poisonous to a Dog
Liver and raw eggs??? Dogs have been eating them for years. I also fed a good deal of raw onion and garlic which was part of a recipe in the Drs. Pitkarin book: Natural Health in Cats & Dogs.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times
OK - I confess I am too lazy to read the whole thing AND, in my defense, am technically on my lunch hour.

What about a good juicy steak bone (like t-bone) - can dogs have that after it's cooked?

I never give Ringo any bones because I'm so paranoid but he sure would like to have a steak bone.

My mom used to give our Lab pretty much all bones except chicken bones - pork chop; steak, whatever. Now I will hold the bone and let Ringo pull the leftover meat off . . but I've never given him a real bone.

Can I? He would be sooo happy.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:25 AM

13,409 posts, read 28,749,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Liver and raw eggs??? Dogs have been eating them for years. I also fed a good deal of raw onion and garlic which was part of a recipe in the Drs. Pitkarin book: Natural Health in Cats & Dogs.
Used to mix garlic powder, like a 1/4 of teas spoon in my labs food as i read it repeled fleas....he was around until he was almost 17

Current dog loves avocodos..I have a 1/4 of avocodo in my salad every day and I cut off just a wee piece for her...

I actually had someone from another thread regarding what fruits/vedggies does your dog like give me a rep point just to say avocodos are bad, of course no name...just reply to my post, but thanks for the rep

She doesn't get like a whole avocodo every day just a tiny slice.

When making dinner if using chop meat I always save a bit raw for her
If I drop a piece of raw chicken when cooking, I just let her have it bone or no bone

let's face we are all different and I believe dogs are as well..anything in excess is not good for dogs or humans

Old 08-17-2010, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,857 times
Here is a list of things dogs should never eat. It came from the website Parade.com:
alcohol grapes
apple cores ham
avocado liver
bones milk
caffeine moldy foods
cheese mushroms
chocolate onions
dough potato peels
fat raisins
garlic tuna

Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,559,782 times
There are lists available online, but what would be the point of giving it if you are not going to pay attention to it, anyway? Just because one dog can eat chocolate for ten years doesn't mean that it isn't damaging her system.

Damage is cumulative. Systems are different. One dog might die at the first bite of something that another has no visible reaction to eating.

Will you just keep feeding your dog contraindicated foods until it drops dead? Then what, another dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs