Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the bond is stronger with a puppy than with an adult dog?
Yes, the bond with a dog raised from puppyhood is stronger 10 18.18%
No, I bond just as strongly with an adult dog 40 72.73%
I don't know 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times

Advertisements

I would say it doesn't matter, but clearly, when you enter a relationship with someone who has a dog, you tend not to be as close with the dog as you would had you gotten the dog together as a puppy. That doesn't mean you can't or don't love the dog...it's just different. I think it partly has to do with raising the dog from infancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 06:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Artie sounds like Dash! Now that Dash is gone I finally can use the bathroom alone sometimes as Jazz and Dazzle may check on me but do not stay in the bathroom especially if I am taking a shower. I guess I have been lucky that I have not drowned in the shower since Dash died as who would save me now? I am also lucky that Norman Bates has not showed up while I shower as who would protect me now? I do miss my shadow as he was always by my side. The others want to be in the same room but not right next to me unless they want cuddle time
Although I do love that Artie is always RIGHT THERE, there have been times that I've done a little eye roll. One example is when I was in the bathroom, just doing my business (peeing), and although he usually just lies on the rug at my feet waiting for me to finish, this one time he stood and watched me. And then he got THAT look on his face. And his body twitched. And I knew what was about to happen. Yup, he jumped onto my lap while I was on the toilet peeing. There's close and then there's TOO close! LOL! I'm not complaining, though. And I love that you have such good memories of Dash being your shadow and RIGHT THERE guy.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:21 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,275,953 times
I bond with every dog I come in contact with. Whether it's the first time I've met them or have known them for years. I am a TRUE DOG PERSON. I would rather be around dogs...any day than humans. Dogs are true. They just want to be loved & cared for.
They make me smile, smerk, laugh & crack up all at the same time.
Be it puppy, teenager, adult or elderly dog. I love them all and they love me.
So...do you really want to know how I feel ??? LOL...
DOGS RULE !!!!

Old 12-19-2009, 11:32 AM

167 posts, read 598,036 times
I am 100% with you Sillypups.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:13 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,047,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Artie sounds like Dash! Now that Dash is gone I finally can use the bathroom alone sometimes as Jazz and Dazzle may check on me but do not stay in the bathroom especially if I am taking a shower. I guess I have been lucky that I have not drowned in the shower since Dash died as who would save me now? I am also lucky that Norman Bates has not showed up while I shower as who would protect me now? I do miss my shadow as he was always by my side. The others want to be in the same room but not right next to me unless they want cuddle time
bailey and dave just lay on my bed and watch me....... is that creepy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj68 View Post
I am 100% with you Sillypups.

me too!!!

had a boxer at the dog park today that just LATCHED on to me..... she is a foster with a family with 2 other boxers...... participated in a 24 dog transport yesterday and one fella who somehow never wound up in my car made a beeline for me at every single stop (did 4 legs) ....... go figure.....

Old 12-20-2009, 06:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times
I've had 2 dogs I raised from puppyhood and one I adopted as a year-old from the pound. I love them all and it hurts equally when they leave this life. I think the adopted dog saved me and not the other way around.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,256,160 times
I recently retired with nearly 25 years in working with and training police dogs. All of our dogs had to be in the range of about 16-24 months of age. In other words---full grown. Granted, this type of work allows for a bond between man and animal like few people in this world can imagine. Due to my experiences with both owning puppies (or maybe they owned me?) and the adult police dogs I can attest that both bond equally. That's the good thing about dogs. Their love is unconditional and comes with no restrictions.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:42 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,415,570 times
I love puppies...I love their smell, their enthusiasm and their utter exuberance as they experience things as they grow. But...I bond the strongest to those dogs I get when they are older. The ones that have had a hard time in life and need help to become the dogs they were never given the chance to be. Seeing the fearful look of a timid dog fade and become more sure and seeing an abused dog begin to understand love and that they will never be hurt again - those moments mean more to me than all the puppy firsts I've ever seen. I bond the strongest with these sweet souls that need me the most. I also know that they reciprocate and bond just as strongly to me.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:02 AM

426 posts, read 1,571,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I love puppies...I love their smell, their enthusiasm and their utter exuberance as they experience things as they grow. But...I bond the strongest to those dogs I get when they are older. The ones that have had a hard time in life and need help to become the dogs they were never given the chance to be. Seeing the fearful look of a timid dog fade and become more sure and seeing an abused dog begin to understand love and that they will never be hurt again - those moments mean more to me than all the puppy firsts I've ever seen. I bond the strongest with these sweet souls that need me the most. I also know that they reciprocate and bond just as strongly to me.
I totally agree!! Sienna is a totally different dog now, than when she was at the pound. It was/is just magical seeing her true personality come out like a silly, happy butterfly from a shy cocoon.

Maybe it's not so much age, as FATE! The dogs that you get when you're not looking for one, whether puppy or adult, that surprise you by being exactly the dog you NEED...

Old 12-21-2009, 01:30 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,036,066 times
Jasper and I kind of grew up together. Ive had him since I was 16 and he a pup...he's been my protector, playmate, traveling buddy, movie-watching companion,partner in crime, and my comfort during many tears...so many things, so many memories. He has guided me in the dark, helped pull me out of quicksand (not kidding...it was in a creek we were exploring), and chased a would-be thief away from our home. Our bond is so strong I was prepared to bash a stranger's skull in if he had harmed Jasper in any way. That night above all else told me that Jasper knew Id never be far behind him, and that he would die to keep me safe.
I am truly blessed to have him in my life. I love Jupiter, so you all that know my story please dont take this the wrong way. But my bond with Jupi is just beginning..but the bond between Jasper and I is stronger now simply because of the memories and history we have together.

Now Im getting all choked up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs