Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 AM

71 posts, read 278,451 times

Advertisements

Hard to believe, but my baby Sherman the pug is just turning one year old. I've read that that's when you switch to adult food.....so he will be going from Innova puppy food to ???? I'm thinking about going to one of the premium grain-free dry foods, but those are pretty high in protein. Do you think that would be a problem, since he's still a young guy? Thanks!!

Last edited by ShermanJoe2; 05-10-2010 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: poopy grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 07:05 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
My pup is turning 1 year old on May 15th! Happy BDay to your pug!
I've fed Chicken Soup for the Soul in puppy version and now I will be switching to the adult version of the same brand.
I tried Innova for my pup and he didn't like it so I can't help with advice on there.
Good for you on thinking about your pup's food!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe2 View Post
Hard to believe, but my baby Sherman the pug is just turning one year old. I've read that that's when you switch to adult food.....so he will be going from Innova puppy food to ???? I'm thinking about going to one of the premium grain-free dry foods, but those are pretty high in protein. Do you think that would be a problem, since he's still a young guy? Thanks!!
Now's your chance to switch to a non Procter & Gamble food (they're taking over Natura, which produces Innova, in June).

I always recommend Orijen, especially for small breeds. If you're concerned about high protein, then look into Acana. Made by the same company as Orijen, but with much lower protein content (around 33%). Innova is 28%, so it's not a huge increase. It's grainless, no recalls and without imported ingredients. Can't go wrong there!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:30 PM

71 posts, read 278,451 times
Chicken Soup...Adult, sounds like a good food but I'd like to go with a no-grain formulation.

Does P&G's aquisition of Innova automatically mean a change in quality? Did Iams suffer that fate when P&G took over? I remember at one time thinking Iams was a good food, but it could have been ignorance on my part or it may have been O.K. relative to what else was available at the time????

Thanks for the Acana recommendation. I'm considering that and Orijen Adult at this point.

As far as choosing a food for young Sherman, is it safe at age one year to go with the higher protein content of some of these grain-free foods? They do say that 1 year is when you make the switch to an adult food.....it's just that in MY mind, that's still a puppy.

I'm using this website to compare different brands of dog food:
Dog Food Reviews - Dry Dog Foods - Powered by ReviewPost
What a great one site resource!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:44 PM

Iams was never a quality food, tons of grains, fillers and preservatives. While they are saying that the recipe won't change, I highly doubt that. Natura has expensive products and P&G foods appeal to people due to cost. They are sold at supermarkets and big box stores. I assume the same thing will happen to Natura. And even if they don't change recipes, do you really want to support a company that kills thousands of dogs and other animals every year through product testing? Such a bad move on Natura's part and I'm so happy to see many local, independent stores in my area announcing that they will no longer sell Natura products after they switch their customers to another food.

As far as protein goes, there are no conclusive studies that show high protein being a risk for dogs of any size or age. The old thinking was that it encourages rapid growth and wasn't recommended for large breed puppies (Great Danes, etc.)...small breeds were never affected by this thinking and now studies show that it doesn't affect large breeds, either.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:33 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,600 times
Darn, I just switched to Innova about two/three months ago... =\

Old 05-13-2010, 02:43 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
Darn, I just switched to Innova about two/three months ago... =\
I just started using it for my puppy

Figures....

Old 05-17-2010, 03:19 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,600 times
I stopped by Krisers this weekend to pick up another bag of dog food. I spoke with the lady there about Innova and she said that we should just monitor Innova over the next few months and that P&G wouldn't have invested so much money into Innova just to change the formula around. She also said that this was their step to enter the high quality dog food market. She also mentioned that we should also be conscious of where their (Innova) factory is and if P&G changes the production factory, then we should start to be concerned.

I did ask about Orijen and I generally liked what I saw on the bag. I think I'll phase my pup into Orijen toward the end of this bag of Innova. She did suggest switching around dog food brands every once in a while though --- thoughts on that?

Old 05-17-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
I stopped by Krisers this weekend to pick up another bag of dog food. I spoke with the lady there about Innova and she said that we should just monitor Innova over the next few months and that P&G wouldn't have invested so much money into Innova just to change the formula around. She also said that this was their step to enter the high quality dog food market. She also mentioned that we should also be conscious of where their (Innova) factory is and if P&G changes the production factory, then we should start to be concerned.

I did ask about Orijen and I generally liked what I saw on the bag. I think I'll phase my pup into Orijen toward the end of this bag of Innova. She did suggest switching around dog food brands every once in a while though --- thoughts on that?
I'm not as concerned with the possibility of a formula change than I am with the way P&G treats animals. They are known to test products on animals, and have killed thousands of them over the years. Some might argue that animal testing is necessary, but even if it was, they should treat them ethically not like some kind of lab specimens. I cannot give a dime to P&G and don't buy any of their products. They are completely unethical and I refuse to support such a corporation.

As far as switching brands, I wouldn't personally. I would switch protein sources with each bag, but stick to the same brand. Orijen has a chicken, fish and red meat formula. Rotate between the three to ensure your dog is getting all sorts of protein sources. The ingredients in each bag are identical, for the exception of the protein source, so it shouldn't cause digestion issues like switching to a completely different brand/formula would.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:00 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I would switch protein sources with each bag, but stick to the same brand. Orijen has a chicken, fish and red meat formula. Rotate between the three to ensure your dog is getting all sorts of protein sources. The ingredients in each bag are identical, for the exception of the protein source, so it shouldn't cause digestion issues like switching to a completely different brand/formula would.
Do you know if Taste of the Wild follows this same formula: meaning I should be able to switch from the Salmon to the Venison to ?? and back without stomach issues since it's just different protein, same manufacturer? I'd like to do this at some point.

How long for the rotation? A bag on one type then switch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs