Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the bond is stronger with a puppy than with an adult dog?
Yes, the bond with a dog raised from puppyhood is stronger 10 18.18%
No, I bond just as strongly with an adult dog 40 72.73%
I don't know 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:13 PM

899 posts, read 2,945,523 times

Advertisements

Boy, what a question..Number 1 and number 3 cockers are and were cocker rescues the first one was my dog in every way until my Mom walked in the door and then she was grandma's little girl..the current cocker bonded with my husband and would be in his pocket if he could fit there..it was instant, Herb came to us from a abusive situation and fell for my husband..Max the only we got as puppy and recently passed on, was my dog, we traveled together, we walked RV parks together, ate chicken macnuggetts on the grass at Mac Donald in Grants Pass, and tons more wonderfull memories, he was just simply a mama's boy and I would not have had anyother way..
So to me it depends on the dog and what happens as the relationship developes..I miss my gardening /ball playing buddie a lot..
enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,244,067 times
I think that it depends upon the person. Me I prefer to get a dog as a pup. The dog grows up, learns early and is exactly what I want it to be. Bad habits are corrected before they become a problem and I am not dealing with problems another person allowed to happen.
For example I feel that it is unthinkable to have a dog jump on me or a guest. Some folks feel that it is ok. Its much easier to prevent this problem than to break it when a dog has been allowed and often encouraged to do it.
My dogs learn disipline from the moment they arrive in their new home and they know their place. Taking an older dog that has been treated as if it were human is a challenge at best.
Last but not least I like to know where the dog came from, about its parents and bloodlines. Too often I have seen folks pay $300.00 dollars for a dog that needs to be put down within a year or 2 due to disease or bad breeding issues.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,153,325 times
Age makes no difference.

It's about the dog, the intrinsic characteristics of a particular dog, that's the determining factor.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,647,244 times
I don't really know...I haven't had a puppy since I was a small child. Almost every dog I've had from then into adulthood was obtained as an adult (or at least "teen"). I do know that I haven't ever had a dog I DIDN'T feel strongly bonded to.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,923,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Age makes no difference.

It's about the dog, the intrinsic characteristics of a particular dog, that's the determining factor.
Agreed!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:54 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,688,397 times
i agree with fivehorses as well. i think it depends more on the specific dog and their personality than on the age at which they were acquired.

one thing's for sure - i don't think sadie could possibly be more bonded to me, and she was 5 or so when i got her.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,345,126 times
As others have said its the Dog Not the Age of the dog!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 AM

761 posts, read 3,418,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I think my rescues are slightly more bonded/protective of me b/c they had a bad life before they got here. They appreciate the good life a bit more.
Same here.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,982,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Age makes no difference.

My two dogs were approximately the same age (around 1) when I adopted them 4 and 8 years ago. I would say my pug is bonded to me, though he quickly warms up to anyone with food. My aussie mix would permanently attach herself to me if she could.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:00 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,532,157 times
I have pups raised from day one and rescues. one rescue bonds to anyone that will give him love and some of the others raised here bond to different people in house.

Mainly think it is up to the environment they grew up in especially older animals if were abused or never shown real love will bond quickest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs