Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the bond is stronger with a puppy than with an adult dog?
Yes, the bond with a dog raised from puppyhood is stronger 10 18.18%
No, I bond just as strongly with an adult dog 40 72.73%
I don't know 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I have been thinking about past dogs and our bonds. It seems that those I raised from a wee pup were extremely bonded to me compared to those dogs I adopted as younger/adult dogs. What do you think? Do you think the bond is stronger with a dog when you raise it as a puppy?
Not at all and I have adopted puppies as well as adult dogs.
My out of my 4 favorite dogs I have owned 3 were aquired as adults.

I prefer adults...most of the work is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 12:34 AM

426 posts, read 1,570,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Age makes no difference.

It's about the dog, the intrinsic characteristics of a particular dog, that's the determining factor.
^ Ditto.

My current dog is a rescue, I got her off "death row" at around 18 months/2 years. Since I intended to place her in another home, I didn't allow myself to get attached. Apparently, nobody told Sienna about that plan - she was my dog from the moment I drove her to my friend's house (who was fostering her.) Actually, I think she was my dog from the moment we first met at an adoption event.

She wasn't even living with me for the first couple of months - my friend was fostering her and I'd see her a couple of times a month. Didn't matter to Sienna. I showed her to a few potential adopters, ALL of whom felt compelled to tell me: "That dog sure loves you." And a coworker, upon observing us together, remarked that "once in a lifetime, you might get a dog like that. If you're lucky."

Needless to say, I kept her, and she is definitely The Dog, the one I will remember the rest of my life. So yeah, I think it depends on the dog, the person, and the stars aligning just right.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Another thing I have noticed it also depends on the dogs breed/s Some breeds are just clingy others are independant.
Agreed, and I think herding breeds tend to be more on the clingy side!

This reminds me, at the shelter where I volunteer, there is a 5-year old toy dog that is just head over heels for this ONE volunteer. Everyone else, he turns his nose up at, but he will cry and cry for his special person, follow her around, and won't take his eyes off of her. It's heartbreaking and comical all at the same time. And strange, because she's only really interacted with him a couple of times. Apparently dogs can fall in love, too!

Old 12-18-2009, 04:27 AM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
I say there are occasional or maybe one "dog of a lifetime" and the others are "good dear friends."
The two I had as puppies (lived to 11 and 13) were with me *longer*, so they were more woven into my daily life, but I don't feel I was more bonded with them. My adoptees have largely been older (have had most of them up to two years) and my bonding depended more on their temperments than age or time spent. I have come to love them all in their own way. Even the hellacious beagle/basset (the late Snoopy. I still have the child locks on the cabinets and the broken food dishes to remember him by).
I think you come to love any animal you take care of. Some you have a head start with.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:33 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
If I had Artie since he was a puppy, I can't even imagine how we'd be any closer than we are now. He was three and a half when we adopted him (he just turned six) and we've been attached nose (his) to knee (mine) since the first day. I haven't been to the bathroom alone since we got him. He's totally in tune to my moods. He's my shadow. Part of his body is always touching part of my body. If that's not possible, he keeps me in his line of vision at all times. "It's unnatural," my husband says of our bond. I, however, say that it's totally natural.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:42 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Dandj,
Tell your husband "Nuthin' natural about marriage, but we're doing it, aren't we?"
My velcro dog is also an Artie. Got him two years ago when he was ten and abused. He is always by my side, alongside sleeping on couch or bed. I think it's sweet. I didn't plan it that way, and couldn't make it that way. It's how he is with me. My other adoptees vary completely in how much they want to be in touch or even near me. My little feral aussie, after two years, still follows me around, but at arms' length. Just yesterday she started rolling in my hair when I'm in bed, as long as I pretent not to notice. She might never want to be closer, she might like to be petted in another two years. Each one is different.
Is it something about the name "Artie?"

Old 12-18-2009, 02:36 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
Agreed, and I think herding breeds tend to be more on the clingy side!

This reminds me, at the shelter where I volunteer, there is a 5-year old toy dog that is just head over heels for this ONE volunteer. Everyone else, he turns his nose up at, but he will cry and cry for his special person, follow her around, and won't take his eyes off of her. It's heartbreaking and comical all at the same time. And strange, because she's only really interacted with him a couple of times. Apparently dogs can fall in love, too!
awww....

I hope she'll bring him home with her!

Old 12-18-2009, 02:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Dandj,
Tell your husband "Nuthin' natural about marriage, but we're doing it, aren't we?"
My velcro dog is also an Artie. Got him two years ago when he was ten and abused. He is always by my side, alongside sleeping on couch or bed. I think it's sweet. I didn't plan it that way, and couldn't make it that way. It's how he is with me. My other adoptees vary completely in how much they want to be in touch or even near me. My little feral aussie, after two years, still follows me around, but at arms' length. Just yesterday she started rolling in my hair when I'm in bed, as long as I pretent not to notice. She might never want to be closer, she might like to be petted in another two years. Each one is different.
Is it something about the name "Artie?"
HA! I'll tell my husband just that!

Maybe it does have to do with being named Artie because he wasn't Artie until we adopted him, and his previous "owner" (I hate that word) didn't find him particularly clingy.

I also didn't plan it that way but I also think it's sweet and wouldn't want it to be any other way.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:52 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
If I had Artie since he was a puppy, I can't even imagine how we'd be any closer than we are now. He was three and a half when we adopted him (he just turned six) and we've been attached nose (his) to knee (mine) since the first day. I haven't been to the bathroom alone since we got him. He's totally in tune to my moods. He's my shadow. Part of his body is always touching part of my body. If that's not possible, he keeps me in his line of vision at all times. "It's unnatural," my husband says of our bond. I, however, say that it's totally natural.

Artie sounds like Dash! Now that Dash is gone I finally can use the bathroom alone sometimes as Jazz and Dazzle may check on me but do not stay in the bathroom especially if I am taking a shower. I guess I have been lucky that I have not drowned in the shower since Dash died as who would save me now? I am also lucky that Norman Bates has not showed up while I shower as who would protect me now? I do miss my shadow as he was always by my side. The others want to be in the same room but not right next to me unless they want cuddle time

Old 12-19-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
awww....

I hope she'll bring him home with her!
We all keep telling her that but I don't think she can have dogs where she lives.

But we try using it as a selling point for potential adopters...see how bonded he'll be to YOU once you've had him a while?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs