Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:32 AM

993 posts, read 2,290,686 times

Advertisements

Our dog has CHF and takes 7 different medications. At first I was gving them to her in hamburger with no problems. Now, she is refusing the hamburger. She takes 7 different medications, but she takes 1 1/2 of 1,
2 of another, 3 of another, etc. So, when I give her the meds, she is taking quite a few pills. I try to give her the most pills in the fewest morsels, or whatever you want to call them. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Your suggestions are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 07:42 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
For long term meds ask your vet about having them compounded into a transdermal. Not all meds work with that method of delivery, but the ones that do it makes it so much easier to rub onto the skin instead of taking pills. I do this with meds that my cat takes and he never even knows.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:48 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
I've had dogs that have had to take a variety of meds. We always just had them come and sit in front of us, opened their mouth and placed the pills way back in their throat, held their mouth shut for a minute and rubbed their throat until they swallowed. Then follow up with lots of praise and a very yummy treat....they never minded the meds that way.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:57 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Artie is the most finicky eater EVER, I do believe, and when we were moving into a new house, the vet gave us (oh, how I would have loved to have taken some!) Xanax.

Anyway...

Artie's most favorite treat is peanut butter, which I give to him on special occasions. What I did with the Xanax was scooped a dollop of peanut butter out of the jar, pressed the Xanax into it, and Artie licked my finger dry -- Xanax, peanut butter, and all.

I realize that you're talking about a lot of pills, but maybe some in the hamburger and some in some peanut butter would work?

Old 07-11-2009, 07:58 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
I'm able to buy cheddar cheese that comes in small cubes and I have been using those for a long time. Recently my oldest dog started refusing them and I switched him to liverwurst. He gets 6 morsels over the course of the day. each with just 1 pill or half pill at a time so they are small.

I also grind up his glucosamine tablets with a mortar and pestle and mix it into his canned food, cottage cheese, yogurt and kibble mix. Ask your vet if you can do that with any of your dogs meds.

Hope you find solutions that work well and easily.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:03 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,350 times
If it is a pill, putting it in a piece of meat or cheese has always worked for us.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:07 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
For long term meds ask your vet about having them compounded into a transdermal. Not all meds work with that method of delivery, but the ones that do it makes it so much easier to rub onto the skin instead of taking pills. I do this with meds that my cat takes and he never even knows.

Sorry, but from a pharmacologic standpoint this is NOT a very good idea. How will you know how much is absorbed? And not EVERY drug is able to be administered anywhere near reliably like this. How do you know that the pharmacokinetics (peak plasma concentration, exposure, etc.) are anywhere NEAR what you'd get from orally administered drugs? Nope, I would NOT recommend this. I do this for a living and cannot condone this suggestions.

However, I DO like the 'Three gobs of cheese' (or liverwurst) method:

Put three gobs of cream cheese on the counter/cutting board.

In the SECOND gob put the evil pill.

Call your unsuspecting pooch, and get ready to move QUICKLY.

Give gob #1 (no pill), followed VERY QUICKLY by gob #2 (with pill) and then even more quickly with gob #3 (no pill). 99% of the time the dog swallows them all and never realizes the pill was in #2!

And if you're feeling flush, you can buy pill pockets and use half a pill pocket per tablet.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:30 AM

399 posts, read 2,253,174 times
I don't know how big your dog is, but a lot of heart medications come in liquid. Your vet can also get a compounding pharmacy to compound the meds into whatever flavor your pet may like most, in pills or liquids. There are quite a few veterinary compounding pharmacies.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:35 AM

993 posts, read 2,290,686 times
Thank you all for the suggestions. All together, our dog takes 13 pills (2 of 1, 3 of another, etc.) 2x per day. We will defintely try some of these! I'm interested to hear of any more suggestions.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:19 AM

43 posts, read 194,585 times
You should try using 'pill pockets'. They are hollow treats I found at PetsMart that are specifically designed for pills. They arent located in the treat section. I believe they are in the aisle with flea medicines or something like that...just ask someone who works there. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs