Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,571,894 times

Advertisements

Our female lab takes four in the AM. We have a routine. I say "pill place". She goes to the couch and waits. I pop the pills (one at a time) in the back of her mouth. She has gotten SO good about it. Then a GOOD treat!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:13 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,649,152 times
My husband uses this approach with our finicky female, and it usually works. We've come to realize that while peanut butter, cheese, meats, etc all work sometimes, you have to mix it up or they catch on to you. I just read that butter will work, too.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:45 AM

751 posts, read 2,491,607 times
My girl could care less about treats and food, so I have to use lunch meat or chicken.

I get 3 pieces of meat. I wrap the pill in one piece. I hold all 3 pieces in my hand in front of her - and that for me is the most important step, because she has to know that more treats are coming her way. I give her a piece with out the pill, then I give her the second piece that does have the pill, then i give her the last piece without a pill.

This works for us because she gobbles the food down if she sees another treat - without even chewing really. But if she doesn't see the next treat coming, she dilly dallys and the pill falls out.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:29 AM

19,855 posts, read 66,157,631 times
I second the pill pockets! I got a bag from my vet when Layla was recovering from surgery and needed a lot of antibiotics. She would sit there with me holding her mouth shut and stroking her throat until I was just sure she had swallowed it, seeing a bit of movement, then when I let go, out came the pill. She ate the pill pocket so quickly, she never knew there was a pill in there. And the other dogs kept crowding her, trying to get one also, which made her more protective of it and swallowing quicker.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,954,919 times
Some dogs are smart enough to refuse any food that has a pill in it, they must be able to smell it. I have even had dogs that could eat the treat, swallow and then spit the pill out. What I found works is a syringe like plastic plunger. You put the pill inside, slide it as far down the throat as possible and then push the plunger, this places the pill so far down that they have no choice but to swallow it. I put some peanut butter on the end to get him to open his mouth for it.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:38 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,388,935 times
Cream Cheese and peanut butter always works for my doggies. I never had much luck with anything that wasn't sticky like cream cheese or pb.. they would always spit the pill out if it was wrapped in deli meat or reg cheese

Old 07-11-2009, 05:23 PM

993 posts, read 2,308,466 times
The PB sounds like a good idea, especially since I have so many to give!

Old 07-11-2009, 06:53 PM

150 posts, read 983,831 times
I successfully hide pills in peanut butter, cheese and hot dogs.

Buy a package of turkey hot dogs and cut into chunks. Press the pills into the piece of hot dog, and hopefully it will be gobbled right up. It's important to do small pieces so it's not a choking hazard.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:06 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,353,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I also grind up his glucosamine tablets with a mortar and pestle and mix it into his canned food, cottage cheese, yogurt and kibble mix. Ask your vet if you can do that with any of your dogs meds.
This is my suggestion as well. For a short while, my dog was on potassium bromide, and his dose came in powder form. The compounding pharmacy measured the dose and put it in capsules, but I just opened the capsules and poured the powder into a hefty spoonful of meat-flavored babyfood, then mixed that into his kibble. It worked for Bandit.

Not all medications can or should be crushed before ingestion, though, so make sure you ask your vet.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,388,935 times
Let us know what works for you.. I have a couple of dogs who will eat anything and others who know a pill is hidden in even the tastiest treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs