Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:07 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,606,248 times

Advertisements

That's a lot of meds...is this a long-term situation for a chronic condition, or is it a temporary thing?

Pills could not be disguised for my newest adopted doggie...she absolutely won't touch any treat, regardless of the yummy-factor, if there's a pill inside. I had to switch to liquid form for the antibiotics she needed when I first took her in, and though she hated it very much at least I knew the medication was in her system and doing its job.

On the other hand, I had a cat who was on so many different liquid and pill meds at one point, even though he was a total champ about taking them, he was nauseated to the extent that he couldn't keep them down...they'd come right back up. In extreme cases like this, injections may be preferable depending on what those medications are. Discuss it with your vet and see what other options are out there to make it easier on both you and your dog. Good luck, and I hope this is just a temporary condition that will resolve quickly so you can both be comfortable & happy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 12:20 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,691,682 times
C-H-E-E-S-E! I always roll up the pill in a slice of cheese, just big enough to roll the pill in. Does not have to be the whole slice. First I give a small teaser piece with nothing in it. While giving the one with the pill wrapped in it hold another so he/she will swallow quick for the next piece!
Good luck, works with all my dogs!

Old 07-12-2009, 02:16 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,690,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
That's a lot of meds...is this a long-term situation for a chronic condition, or is it a temporary thing?

P!
I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps you may consider looking for a Holistic veterinarian? In all too many cases, diet (and allergens in the most hyped foods) are the culprit. Vets who have NO idea whatsoever about species-appropriate nutrition will merely prescribe drugs to mask these ailments, then only give steroids to mask those effects, which take the toll on the organs.

Hope you consider a Holistic veterinarian to get to the bottom of all this. IMO, that's too much Meds for any animal's (or even human) liver/kidneys/heart...

Old 07-12-2009, 02:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,331,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Sorry, but from a pharmacologic standpoint this is NOT a very good idea. How will you know how much is absorbed? And not EVERY drug is able to be administered anywhere near reliably like this. How do you know that the pharmacokinetics (peak plasma concentration, exposure, etc.) are anywhere NEAR what you'd get from orally administered drugs? Nope, I would NOT recommend this. I do this for a living and cannot condone this suggestions.

However, I DO like the 'Three gobs of cheese' (or liverwurst) method:

Put three gobs of cream cheese on the counter/cutting board.

In the SECOND gob put the evil pill.

Call your unsuspecting pooch, and get ready to move QUICKLY.

Give gob #1 (no pill), followed VERY QUICKLY by gob #2 (with pill) and then even more quickly with gob #3 (no pill). 99% of the time the dog swallows them all and never realizes the pill was in #2!

And if you're feeling flush, you can buy pill pockets and use half a pill pocket per tablet.
Thats what I do, but use hotdogs. Works like a charm. It works even better when dog number 2 who doesn't need pills is dancing alongside. When I pick up the bottle my dog gets all excited and comes running when I say "pill".

I make sure the pill is securely lodged in the second part but its smaller so it gets swallowed without chewing because all it takes is one taste. I hold them in front of the unsuspecting dog so all they see is MORE FOOD coming and are in a hurry to get it.

Wish this worked with cats, alas no...

Old 07-12-2009, 06:21 PM

903 posts, read 3,590,182 times
I will roll our meds in cold cuts and they gulp them down. When that hasn't work I have spoon fed them mixed in baby food.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:33 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,397,922 times
Just remembered that my vet recently told me of a client with an old dog who got his meds in Fig Newtons when cheese and meat stopped working. And another person used frozen yogurt. She said that even those things are not great for dogs since they were old and only got a little each day is was not something to fret about.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,409,240 times
My dog has been taking 13 pills a day for six years now. I also have found that sticky stuff is the only thing that works with him; otherwise, the clever little guy will spit out the pills and only swallow the good stuff.

I use cheese whiz, occasionally alternating it with canned deviled ham so he doesn't get tired of it. I used to buy the Kraft brand, then I realized that while the more expensive brand tastes better to me, he likes the store brand just as well. The bottled Velveeta or yogurt work sometimes. The taste is strong enough to override the pill taste, and he'll just gulp it all down.

With the cheese whiz, I can give him 3-4 pills at a time, as an "appetizer" before his meal. He knows the pills are there, but he'll accept the tradeoff if it's good enough.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 AM

8,286 posts, read 38,859,921 times
My dad used to say "if you like black pepper and tabasco, you can make anything taste good". With my dog, butter makes anything taste good. The advantage with butter is that it molds easily and coats the pill, so he seems to be more inclined to swallow it even if he inadvertently removes it from its butter sheath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs